ChrisWeigant.com

From The Archives -- Happy Independence Day!

[ Posted Tuesday, July 2nd, 2019 – 16:22 UTC ]

Program Note:

For roughly the next two weeks, columns here at ChrisWeigant.com are going to become rather sporadic. The reason for this interruption in service is that it is Netroots Nation time, once again. This year we'll be in Philadelphia, and hopefully we'll see a whole bunch of the presidential contenders address the convention. So it should be a good one.

But what this also means is that I cannot commit to posting new columns for the entirety of next week. I may get inspired, but the real stumbling block is finding the time to write and edit, so if the past is any prologue, the whole week may go by without any new columns at all. Just to warn everyone in advance. I will try to get some column repeats ready to go before I leave, so at least there will be something to check out here while I'm gone, but I can't even 100 percent promise that, at this point.

What I am going to mightily try to do is to get together a Friday Talking Points for the end of this week. To do this, though, I'm running an old column today and will also be running a repeat on Independence Day as well. Tomorrow, I will likely comment on Trump hijacking the best Washington D.C. celebration day of the year, because it is so odious for him to do so.

In any case, my apologies for the interruption in service over the next two weeks. New columns will likely resume either Monday the 15th of July, or by Tuesday for certain. Thanks to everyone for their patience during my annual pilgrimage to the gathering of the lefty tribes.

Please enjoy the following column, which was written in 2012, long before the term "fake news" began to be bandied about. I mention this only because if I wrote the article today, I would surely be tempted to use this term several times while drafting it.

 

Originally published July 2, 2012

Happy Second of July, everyone! Happy Independence Day!

Now, you may be thinking: "Has Chris gone bonkers? Why is he jumping the gun, two days early?" The answers to these important queries are: No, Chris has not gone any more bonkers than usual; and, in fact, the rest of you are celebrating a fictitious event on a fictitious anniversary date. So there.

I quote from the illustrious John Adams, writing to his beloved wife Abigail on July 3, 1776:

The second of July 1776, will be the most memorable epocha in the history of America. I am apt to believe it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forevermore.

"But..." I hear you say, "...but July 4th is when the Declaration of Independence was signed, and that's what we commemorate." Well... no. Sorry.

There is a famous painting by John Trumbull, of course, which hangs in the U.S. Capitol Rotunda. The image is (or should be) a familiar one to every American. It is even "on the money," on the (redesigned) back of the two dollar bill. However, this image does not even depict what most of us think it does. The event most of us assume it depicts never actually happened, and the closest thing to it which did happen took place almost a full month later, on August 2nd. That may seem contradictory, so allow me to explain.

What the painting actually depicts is a five-man committee presenting their draft of the Declaration of Independence to the Second Continental Congress, on June 28th. The reason "it never happened" is that the group depicted in the painting were never actually all in the same room at the same time. Some of the people who were in the room didn't actually sign the Declaration (and were thus omitted from the painting), and some of the people who actually signed the document hadn't even been members of the Congress at the time (they became delegates later, for various reasons). Even in the painting, only 42 of the 56 eventual signers are pictured (Trumbull was unable to obtain likenesses of all of them when the painting was commissioned in 1817, so he just left some out).

The timeline for declaring independence is a convoluted one. After the draft document was submitted, Congress tinkered with the wording for over a week. On July 2nd, they moved forward when twelve of the thirteen colonies voted to declare their independence from Great Britain (to accept the document, in essence). New York abstained, and it wasn't until July 19th that all thirteen approved independence. On July 4th, the document's final language was sent to the printers -- two days after the most meaningful vote had been taken on the independence question.

The story gets even more convoluted at this point. August 2nd is the date that most of the men actually signed the document -- although many of them would not do so until months afterwards (one, Thomas McKean of Delaware, wouldn't actually sign the document until 1777). In the spring of 1777, the official public record of Congress was released, and (lo and behold!) it stated that July 4th was the date that the "Unanimous Declaration of the Thirteen United States" was signed in Congress. This was, to be blunt, a blatant lie. New York wouldn't even vote for independence for another two weeks, so it is impossible that any sort of "Unanimous Declaration" happened on July 4th. To further muddy the waters, in the official record, the entries for July 19th (when New York finally did agree) and August 2nd (when the physical document was actually endorsed by most of the signers) were omitted. It wasn't until 1821, when the Secret Journals of Congress were published, that these entries were restored. On July 19th, the entry specifies that a formal copy of the Declaration of Independence be printed up to be "signed by every member of Congress." This signing took place on August 2nd, according to the true record of what happened in Congress (instead of the made-up version they published in the spring of 1777).

We all think we know what happened 236 years ago. We all picture Trumbull's painting as the signing of the Declaration of Independence, even though (1) it does not actually depict this event, (2) some people were present at the signing who are not in the painting, (3) the signing took place a month later, (4) the 56 signers were never actually in the same room at the same time, (5) even if they had been, only 42 of them are actually depicted, and, most importantly (6) Congress voted for independence on July 2nd, not July 4th, and New York didn't give its assent until July 19th.

Now, historical accuracy is a wonderful thing, but it leaves the open question: when should we celebrate our independence? June 28th? July 2nd? July 19th? August 2nd? Whenever the last guy finally got around to signing the document?

John Adams, obviously, believed that July 2nd was the date worth celebrating. But soon afterwards, the Congress itself would manufacture its own historical fiction and declare -- in the official public record -- that the Declaration of Independence was signed on July 4, 1776. After all, this date is contained within the document itself. But this was nothing more than America's first "photo op," if you will (yet another historical contradiction, since photography wasn't even around back then). The whole story was a lie, but it was a lie America could agree upon and celebrate. Which we've been doing ever since, and which I will be doing in two days, along with everyone else.

But that doesn't stop me from also celebrating Independence Day today, as well. Because today -- July 2nd -- is when twelve of the thirteen colonies bravely gave their assent to separate America from Great Britain. This monumental event was the true point of no return for the colonies. By voting for their independence, they knew full well they were voting for a war which virtually everyone expected to be a lost cause. In today's terms, it would be the equivalent of Puerto Rico declaring war on the United States of America -- because so few people would bet on Puerto Rico to win such a military encounter.

In the early years of America's independence, the tradition was to drink thirteen separate toasts on Independence Day. That's a lot of drinking, it bears mentioning. I'm not sure emulating early Americans in this respect is such a good idea this July 4th, to put it another way. But since I doubt I'll last thirteen rounds two days from now, I hope you'll join me in raising at least one toast today, to commemorate Congress actually declaring America's independence from Great Britain, 236 years ago in Philadelphia. Because while the Fourth of July is indeed still celebrated with "pomp and parade... shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations" from one end of the continent to the other (and even far out into the Pacific, these days), I am one American who will also be celebrating the day John Adams (wrongly) assumed would be our national anniversary of independence. I invite you all to join me in doing so.

Happy Independence Day! Happy Second of July!

 

-- Chris Weigant

 

Follow Chris on Twitter: @ChrisWeigant

 

97 Comments on “From The Archives -- Happy Independence Day!”

  1. [1] 
    Kick wrote:

    Philadelphia!

    City of Brotherly Love. Play nice with the other kids. ;)

  2. [2] 
    Balthasar wrote:

    And now:

    DONALD TRUMP'S BIGLY HUGELY SPECTACULAR MILITARY CELEBRATION AND SPEECH SIGNIFYING THE NUMBER ONE BEST EVER AMERICAN DAY!

    *sigh* I'll be eating burgers, myself.

    Happy 4th, and enjoy Netroots!

  3. [3] 
    C. R. Stucki wrote:

    Chris is absolutely correct - I know 'cause I was there!

  4. [4] 
    Kick wrote:

    Balthasar
    2

    I know, right!?

    Those tanks will quite literally tear up the streets of DC unless they're outfitted with special tracks. Will all that armor be traversing bridges? Do I have to explain what a tank can do to public bridges and roads that are built to withstand the weight of general traffic?

    It's not too late for the Pentagon to knock some sense into PT and the morons running the Circus Parade Presidency. He's obviously exponentially clueless regarding the myriad of reasons the largest military on the planet avoids parading around in the same tacky fashion as all the other little nations: America has nothing to prove. Obviously, the current POTUS does.

  5. [5] 
    Kick wrote:

    And now this:

    It was obvious after their public bitch-slapping by the SCOTUS that the Trump administration would have to either continue perjuring themselves to the Court or drop the citizenship question from the 2020 census.

    Department of Justice confirms there will be no citizenship question on the 2020 Census. Duh.

  6. [6] 
    Balthasar wrote:

    Kick [5]: Their printing deadline was today, so a clear decision had to be made - fight, or don't fight. Given the SCOTUS decision, they decided not to fight.

    Now, on to the next fight: getting an accurate count!

  7. [7] 
    nypoet22 wrote:

    but partisan gerrymandering is fully legal. which sucks for voters on both ends of the spectrum.

  8. [8] 
    nypoet22 wrote:

    @cw,

    especially because of netroots, i think we'd like to get your response to the broad consensus here that the media narrative on biden's "bad couple weeks" is exaggerated. Seeing through the hype or deluding ourselves?

    JL

  9. [9] 
    Kick wrote:

    JL
    7

    but partisan gerrymandering is fully legal. which sucks for voters on both ends of the spectrum.

    SCOTUS made their ruling in two states basically saying they won't interfere. Well then, the fight for fair elections and election reform shall continue at the state level. In the states of Colorado, Michigan, Missouri, and Utah, the voters passed initiatives in 2018 that take control of redistricting U.S. House districts out of the hands of state legislatures. In fact, gerrymandering reformers went undefeated when the issue was put before the voters. Expect that trend to continue.

    There's more than one way to skin a salamander. ;)

  10. [10] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    Joshua[8],

    I concur.

    However, I must say out loud that Biden had better come out blazing with the polite Biden gloves off for the CNN debate.

    I sure do hope that Senator Kamala will be on the same stage again if not right beside him!

  11. [11] 
    Michale wrote:

    It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forevermore.

    Ahem... Did you say "guns"...??? :D

  12. [12] 
    Michale wrote:

    From yesterday's comments.

    @CW

    For you, the question to ponder would be (to make it more relevant to your own politics), "what is too far right?" When the media screams about some GOP politician being "too far right" do you agree with them? Or think the call is overblown? That's how some folks on the left see things these days.

    Think about it: if Bernie Sanders' agenda really is "too far left" then why have so many Democratic voters supported it?

    That's kinda my point.. And it's a point that you yourself have made, I do believe..

    Ideas that were whacked out WAY OUT in Left Field have now become "Center Field" Democrat Party..

    While I claim that the entire Democrat Party has moved way far Left, you claim that ideas that were way far Left are now becoming mainstream Democrat Party platforms.

    In essence, we're both saying the same thing, just in a different way..

    I say Mohammed is going to the Leftist Mountain.. You say the Leftist Mountain is coming to Mohammed..

    Same thing really.. :D

    So regardless of how you want to characterize it, today's Democrat Party are mainstreaming ideas (within the Democrat Party) that were, at one time, VERY FAR LEFT ideas...

    An example of these Far Out Left ideas are, but not limited to:

    Up to birth and even after birth abortions

    Shouting out your abortion

    Single Payer Health care for all

    Open Borders

    Free health care for illegal immigrants

    Free college for all Americans

    Free college for illegal immigrants

    Slavery reparations

    Universal Basic Income for those unable or unwilling to work

    Marijuana legalization

    And I am sure there are more radical Leftist ideas that can be put down..

    All of these (and more) have been proposed AND/OR adopted by today's Democrat Party...

    So my question to you, CW, and to anyone else that wants to comment..

    Do you think that this mainstreaming radical Left ideas will hurt or help the Democrat Party in the 2020 elections??

  13. [13] 
    Michale wrote:

    And in the EVEN CNN IS ADMITTING TRUMP IS RIGHT department...

    CNN’s Fareed Zakaria says Trump was right about asylum system, ‘pains me to say’

    Fareed Zakaria, the CNN anchor, on Sunday said it “pains” him to admit it, but President Trump was correct that the U.S. finds itself in a crisis with asylum system and the number of new arrivals.

    The host of “Fareed Zakaria GPS,” was also critical of asylum rules that he called “vague, laxed and being gamed.” Zakaria said asylum was initially intended for a small number of people in the most extreme circumstances, not as a process of immigration in itself. He said the rules need to be “substantially tightened."

    He pointed out that “many” current asylum-seekers often have “suspiciously similar stories” and employ “identical phrases.”

    “Democrats have spent most of their efforts on this topic, assailing the Trump administration for its heartlessness,” he said. “Fine. But that does not address the roots of this genuine crisis. If things continue to spiral downward and America's southern border seems out of control, Trump's tough rhetoric and hard-line stance will become increasingly attractive to the public.”
    https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/cnns-fareed-zakaria-says-trump-was-right-about-asylum-system-pains-me-to-say

    President Trump is looking pretty damn prescient... He acknowledged the crisis at the border long LONG before Democrats... Hell, it was only up to a month ago that Democrats were still having their heads in the sand about it...

    And patriotic Americans are backing President Trump by the tens of millions on illegal immigration..

  14. [14] 
    Michale wrote:

    "I think the president could beat anybody. The momentum we're seeing right now. I mean look... one hundred five million raised, a hundred million cash on hand. What we're seeing overall the president success is overseas, the momentum behind this president right now is like nothing that history has ever seen."
    -Trump Campaign Manager Brad Parscale

    Democrats are jumping for joy at a paltry 10 million here or there..

    If ya'all want to align enthusiasm and momentum with the amount of cash raised...???

    It's clear that the enthusiasm and momentum is clearly with President Trump.. Clearly... Crystal... :D

  15. [15] 
    Michale wrote:

    i think we'd like to get your response to the broad consensus here that the media narrative on biden's "bad couple weeks" is exaggerated. Seeing through the hype or deluding ourselves?

    I second that request...

  16. [16] 
    Michale wrote:

    Balthasar..

    DONALD TRUMP'S BIGLY HUGELY SPECTACULAR MILITARY CELEBRATION AND SPEECH SIGNIFYING THE NUMBER ONE BEST EVER AMERICAN DAY!

    As a gesture of friendship and camaraderie in your trying time..

    Would you like some cheeze to go with your whine?? :D

    Gonna be the BEST 4th of July ever!!!! It's gonna be YUUUGGEEEE!!!!! :D

  17. [17] 
    Balthasar wrote:

    I dunno, Mike, you've put a lot of things on that list that don't exactly make sense.

    For instance, like it or not, Abortion usually polls up in the 60% range. Same, these days, of Marijuana. That's mainstream.

    As for single payer healthcare, we are the only democratic superpower NOT to have it. Far left? Not so much these days.

    The rest of the things on your list fit into a category we'll call "discussion stages". Lots of good and bad ideas there, but that's all they are.

    So your overton window doesn't really have to move at all.

    Now, compare that to the Republicans, who have moved their overton window all of the way to the right. Can't get more right without wearing jack boots. Normal? Of course not. They'll be sorry when they sober up...

  18. [18] 
    Michale wrote:

    MSNBC's Joe Scarborough blasts 'Woke Democrats' in fiery tweetstorm: You'll 'lose another election to Trump'

    MSNBC's anti-Trump morning show star Joe Scarborough turned the tables on Tuesday and slammed the 2020 Democrats for embracing "woke" positions, insisting that will lead them to "lose another election" to President Trump.

    The tweetstorm began with Scarborough reacting to the news that Nike was pulling their shoes inspired by the Betsy Ross-designed American flag after former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick expressed his opposition to the design, which he thought invoked slavery.

    "The Betsy Ross flag is now a symbol of White Nationalism and slavery? Not defiance against a distant monarchy? Really, Nike?" Scarborough asked. "PC madness is accelerating just in time for 2020. Trump feeds on your reflexive Wokeness. Great job, everybody."

    The "Morning Joe" co-host then pivoted to the Democratic candidates and reiterated the stances at last week's debates, saying they support "universal health care for illegal immigrants," "making illegal crossing America's borders legal," and "a return to forced busing" and asking them if they "now support the banning of the Betsy Ross flag from public places."

    "Let me disabuse Woke Democrats of the notion that I expect them to adjust their beliefs and strategies to suit former Republicans. I don't," Scarborough continued. "But I do want them to refrain from blowing themselves up politically and re-electing Trump... But y'all be y'all and lose another election to Trump that you should have won. And start by continuing to fight those who want him beaten just as badly."

    He added, "stop setting yourself on fire. Just beat Trump."
    https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/msnbc-joe-scarborough-woke-democrats-trump-kaepernick

    So, now ya'all have another Democrat, Never Trumper and Trump/America hating "hero" telling ya'all how utterly whacked ya'all are..

    Don'tcha think it's past time to think, "Hmmmmmm Maybe we're the problem here and not President Trump...???"

  19. [19] 
    Michale wrote:

    I dunno, Mike, you've put a lot of things on that list that don't exactly make sense.

    Of course, you would say that.. But, by all means.. Elaborate..

    For instance, like it or not, Abortion usually polls up in the 60% range. Same, these days, of Marijuana. That's mainstream.

    Amongst DEMOCRATS it polls that way..

    But up to birth and even AFTER birth abortions???

    If you think THAT polls up in the 60% range amongst patriotic Americans, yer daft..

    As for single payer healthcare, we are the only democratic superpower NOT to have it. Far left? Not so much these days.

    Exactly.. It's now MAINSTREAM Democrat Party... Yer making my point for me..

    The rest of the things on your list fit into a category we'll call "discussion stages". Lots of good and bad ideas there, but that's all they are.

    Once again, you make my point for me..

    As little as 3-4 years ago, those things were too far out Left to even be *considered* let alone discussed...

    NOW.... as you say they are actually being discussed..

    Once again, you make my point for me..

    So your overton window doesn't really have to move at all.

    I know you THINK you believe that..

    But you clearly don't because you make my argument for me..

    Now, compare that to the Republicans, who have moved their overton window all of the way to the right. Can't get more right without wearing jack boots. Normal?

    Surely you can provide some examples..

    I did...

    But it really doesn't matter because you are acknowledging that my assessment is dead on ballz accurate...

    Thank you...

  20. [20] 
    Michale wrote:

    So.. Since we agree on all of that..

    Do you think it hurts or helps the Democrat Party to win in 2020...

    Why or why not??

  21. [21] 
    Balthasar wrote:

    You (and Scarborough too) are missing a feature of the Democratic Party: this is the beginning of a campaign. At this stage of the campaign the Left always goes crazy to try to get their candidate nominated. Words fly.

    So this is the leftist "best of" hour. Have no fear, Middle American Democratic Conservatives always win.

  22. [22] 
    Michale wrote:

    Once again, you make my point for me..

    As little as 3-4 years ago, those things were too far out Left to even be *considered* let alone discussed...

    NOW.... as you say they are actually being discussed..

    Once again, you make my point for me..

    During the 2016 campaign, Hillary Clinton ran away from most, if not ALL, of those ideas..

    Here we are now, less then 4 years later and NOW all those ideas have been woven into the fabric that is the Democrat Party...

    Do you think that HELPS or HURTS the Democrat Party chances in 2020??

    That's the question...

  23. [23] 
    Michale wrote:

    You (and Scarborough too) are missing a feature of the Democratic Party: this is the beginning of a campaign. At this stage of the campaign the Left always goes crazy to try to get their candidate nominated. Words fly.

    OK, so you are conceding that it IS bad for the Democrat Party...

    OK, that's progress...

    So this is the leftist "best of" hour. Have no fear, Middle American Democratic Conservatives always win.

    So, yer saying Biden is going to be the Dem nominee???

  24. [24] 
    Michale wrote:

    You (and Scarborough too) are missing a feature of the Democratic Party: this is the beginning of a campaign. At this stage of the campaign the Left always goes crazy to try to get their candidate nominated. Words fly.

    This is kinda a weird feeling...

    I find myself in complete agreement with you, Balthasar..

    In the here and now, the Left is going "crazy"....

  25. [25] 
    Balthasar wrote:

    Do you think that HELPS or HURTS the Democrat Party chances in 2020?

    Ultimately it HELPS.

    But then I poke the same question back to you -

    Do you think the Republican's move to the Right HELPS or HURTS its chances in 2020?

  26. [26] 
    Michale wrote:

    At this stage of the campaign the Left always goes crazy to try to get their candidate nominated. Words fly.

    But, what you don't realize is that the words that are "flying" are going to come back and bite the eventual Dem nominee on his (or her) ass in the General..

    I can hear the debate question now.

    "During your primary campaign, you stated that, as President, you would decriminalize border laws, in essence, making the US an Open Border country.. Do you stand by that today??"

    and

    "During your primary campaign, you stated unequivocally, that you would as President, off illegal immigrants full and free health care.. How do you plan to pay for that program??"

    The Democrat nominee will be flayed alive over those positions and won't even force President Trump to break a sweat in his landslide win...

    Open borders and full free healthcare for illegals courtesy of the American taxpayer are ideas that will totally and unequivocally SINK the Democrat nominee...

    So, be crazy all ya want.. It will be remembered in the General election..

  27. [27] 
    Michale wrote:

    Ultimately it HELPS.

    So you believe that Democrats talking about up to birth and even after birth abortions HELPS the Dem nominee??

    That promising to open the border and give full and free health care to illegal immigrants HELPS the Dem nominee??

    Oh.. OK.. Yer in for a YUUUGGEEEE disappointment come 4 Nov 2020..... Worse than the freefall you felt on 9 Nov 2016...

    Do you think the Republican's move to the Right HELPS or HURTS its chances in 2020?

    You have yet to provide any examples... So it's not accepted as fact that the GOP *IS* moving to the Right...

  28. [28] 
    Balthasar wrote:

    Well, so far you have the 40% of the population that gets excited about those things interested.

    So tell me, how do you get the rest?

  29. [29] 
    Michale wrote:

    The US is a center-right country, Balthy....

    So, these moves to the Right you claim are happening, if they ARE indeed happening, is simply a correction from the Far Left that Obama and the Democrats pushed us to...

    So, even if you had examples (which you don't) they are simply a course-correction for the country.. Not for the GOP...

  30. [30] 
    Michale wrote:

    Well, so far you have the 40% of the population that gets excited about those things interested.

    40% of the population equals 100% of the Democrat Party..

    Yer really not helping your case.. :D

    And what "things" does that 40% get "excited" about??

    Up to birth or even after birth abortions??

    Open borders??

    Free and full health care for illegal immigrants paid for by the American middle class??

    You HONESTLY believe those ideas won't sink the Dem nominee???

    Denial is not just a river in Egypt, apparently :D

  31. [31] 
    Balthasar wrote:

    Y'know what folks are really worried about?

    How to pay for their health care.

    How to pay for college, or anything to get started.

    How to afford an apartment, a cellphone, and a car.

    And you know what? Republicans aren't doing squat about any of those things. That why Democrats win.

  32. [32] 
    Michale wrote:

    No, The Trump Administration Is Not Torturing Migrants

    Democrats and the media have jettisoned all sense of reality about the border crisis, and offer nothing now but phony outrage.

    Perusing recent coverage of the border crisis, a casual reader might conclude the federal government is keeping migrant children in cages, torturing their parents, and operating World War II-style concentration camps for Central Americans apprehended along the southwest border.

    Over the weekend, The New York Times ran an op-ed denouncing “mass atrocity” along the border and calling for doxxing Border Patrol agents. The author, a human rights lawyer, concedes that the Trump administration’s treatment of migrants doesn’t rise to the level of the killing fields of Cambodia or the genocide of Rwanda, but nevertheless it “appears to be the case” that “harsh conditions have been intentionally inflicted on children,” and that “the individuals running detention centers are arguably directly responsible for torture.”

    Then on Monday during a trip to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection facility on Monday, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez told reporters she “was not safe from the officers,” and that migrants there were forced to drink out of toilets and subjected to “psychological torture.” On Twitter, she wrote, “This has been horrifying so far. It is hard to understate the enormity of the problem. We’re talking systemic cruelty w/a dehumanizing culture
    https://thefederalist.com/2019/07/02/no-trump-administration-not-torturing-migrants/

    Occasional Cortex strikes again...

    I'll be happy to take her advice if I want her to fetch me a Rum Runner or a Mango LavaFlow...

    Running a country??? Not so much...

  33. [33] 
    Michale wrote:

    Y'know what folks are really worried about?

    How to pay for their health care.

    How to pay for college, or anything to get started.

    Nope..

    People are worried about how they are going to pay for ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS health care.. And how they are going to pay for ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS college..

    And you know what? Republicans aren't doing squat about any of those things. That why Democrats win.

    All Democrats are talking about is investigating President Trump, taxing middle class Americans, and giving free and full healthcare and college to illegal immigrants..

    And YOU honestly believe Democrats can WIN on that platform???

    As I said, Denial is not just a river in Egypt...

  34. [34] 
    Balthasar wrote:

    The US is a center-right country, Balthy.

    Funny, cause I remember twice as many Democrats as Republicans being elected over the last 30 years (Clinton-Bush-Obama). I'd even call it a center-left country.

  35. [35] 
    Michale wrote:

    Here ya go, Liz.. :D

    Biden Remains the Dem to Beat Trump

    During the Thursday debate, Kamala Harris went straight for Joe Biden's jugular over his alleged failures on race matters. The day after, however, Keisha Lance Bottoms, the black mayor of arguably America's blackest city, Atlanta, endorsed Biden for the Democratic nomination. And according to The Daily Beast, a Democracy Corps poll had Biden's favorability with African Americans up by net 18 percent after the debate.

    What gives? Didn't the Twitter left just declare that Harris had eviscerated Biden? As usual, it interpreted events according to its own assumptions -- and reporters, as usual, ran with the story being told in the loudest voices.

    In endorsing Biden, Bottoms cited his experience and ability to beat Donald Trump. And she dismissed the attacks on Biden for having worked with avowed racists in the Senate.

    "The larger context was that you have to work across the aisle with people you don't like, people you don't agree with," Bottoms said. "I do it each and every day as mayor of Atlanta in a red state."

    She went on: "My position is, if his explanation was good enough for John Lewis, then it's good enough for me." Lewis is a civil rights icon who has also defended Biden.
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2019/07/02/biden_remains_the_dem_to_beat_trump_140691.html

  36. [36] 
    Balthasar wrote:

    Mike [32] AOC delusion again? She's living free in your brain, man.

  37. [37] 
    Michale wrote:

    Democrats are in denial about 2020

    A consensus has recently formed among such centrist columnists as Andrew Sullivan, David Brooks, and Bret Stephens that the Democratic Party's leftward lurch — proudly on display at last week's inaugural two-part debate — spells serious electoral trouble ahead. An equally solid consensus has formed among progressives that such worries are thoroughly misplaced — merely an expression of the pundit's fallacy that a candidate's electoral success is directly correlated to his or her embrace of the writer's personal policy preferences.

    Too bad this isn't what these columnists are saying — or what's really at stake in the Democratic Party's ongoing ideological transformation.

    The Democratic Party is responding in a nonsensical way to political reality. As luck would have it, we were reminded of the character of this reality on the very morning of the second debate, when the Supreme Court announced its 5-4 decision in Rucho v. Common Cause, which takes federal courts out of the business of policing partisan gerrymanders. If Democrats don't like district lines that make it prohibitively difficult for them to win elections in GOP-controlled states (which significantly outnumber Democrat-controlled states), they now have no option but to … win majority control for themselves, regardless of the obstacles manufactured by Republicans.
    https://theweek.com/articles/850350/democrats-are-denial-about-2020

    What a unique concept.. Democrats actually have to WIN elections to impose their will....

    As someone once said, "Elections have consequences"

    So, Democrats.. Win some elections and then you can gerrymander to yer heart's content...

    See how easy that is???

  38. [38] 
    Michale wrote:

    Mike [32] AOC delusion again? She's living free in your brain, man.

    So, you have nothing to address the FACTS that Occasional Cortex is full of shit....

    I understand...

  39. [39] 
    Michale wrote:

    Funny, cause I remember twice as many Democrats as Republicans being elected over the last 30 years (Clinton-Bush-Obama). I'd even call it a center-left country.

    Of course you would..

    You still believe that Russia Collusion won President Trump the election..

    Yer delusional...

  40. [40] 
    Balthasar wrote:

    Mike [33] Nobody on our side cares about your shit.

    That's what I'm trying to get across. You're playing for aficionados, not to the general public.

  41. [41] 
    Michale wrote:

    Nike blew it by capitulating to Colin Kaepernick and pulling Betsy Ross flag shoe

    Colin Kaepernick was offended by Nike's new Betsy Ross flag shoes. By pulling it, Nike showed a distinct lack of backbone and dissed a female patriot.

    After watching one of America’s corporate giants bail on Betsy Ross, Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey decided to Just Do It.

    In a series of overnight tweets, Ducey announced he is yanking millions of dollars in state incentives offered to get Nike to build a manufacturing plant in the suburban city of Goodyear.

    “Instead of celebrating American history the week of our nation’s independence, Nike has apparently decided that Betsy Ross is unworthy, and has bowed to the current onslaught of political correctness and historical revisionism,” Ducey wrote in a series of tweets early Tuesday.

    Nike had planned to release the Air Max 1 Quick Strike Fourth of July, featuring the Betsy Ross flag, on Monday but instead benched it because Colin Kaepernick was offended.

    Cue the Wall Street Journal: “After images of the shoe were posted online, Mr. Kaepernick, a Nike endorser, reached out to company officials saying that he and others felt the Betsy Ross flag is an offensive symbol because of its connection to an era of slavery.”

    Dis the flag because some jerks co-opted it?
    It seems some white nationalist groups have taken to waving the Betsy Ross flag, the one with 13 stars in a circle and 13 stripes. So because a bunch of ignorant jerks co-opted America’s first flag, one of America’s major companies put on a pair of its overpriced footwear and sprinted into full-fledged retreat.

    Sorry, Nike, but you red, white and blew it.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2019/07/02/nike-colin-kaepernik-arizona-doug-ducey-column/1626997001/

    So, did Nike blow it???

    or

    Did Nike do the right thing???

    What say ya'all???

  42. [42] 
    Michale wrote:

    That's what I'm trying to get across. You're playing for aficionados, not to the general public.

    And yet, YOU are the one who claims that it's Democrats who "get crazy" during the Primary election..

    So, I am not sure what you are trying to say here.. And how it pertains to Comment #33 where Occasional Cortex spewed a bunch of lies and bullshit...

  43. [43] 
    Michale wrote:

    Should we even be celebrating our nation's founding this week given that it came during "an era of slavery" and was accomplished at the hands of slave owners?

    Nike has taken its stand — if you can call full-scale capitulation a stand.

    And now, Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey has taken a stand, too, against the bullies who would rob us of a part of our history — that of a plucky widow who worked with George Washington to design a flag that would come to symbolize a new nation.

    Betsy Ross may — or may not — have plied her needle to make the symbol that is embedded into everything that we do and everything that we are. But she, too, is a symbol of the female patriots who played a role in the birth of this nation.

    And now, apparently, isn’t worthy to grace the back of an overpriced sneaker.

    Sorry, Nike, but you’re hardly wrapping yourselves in glory when you disdain Old Glory.

    I hate it when America Haters win.. :^(

  44. [44] 
    Michale wrote:

    You're playing for aficionados, not to the general public.

    Are Democrats playing to the "general public" with their positions on up to birth and after birth abortions??

    Full and free healthcare and college for illegal immigrants, courtesy of the American middle class tax payer??

    Open borders???

    Are Democrats playing to the "general public" with those way way WAY out far Left ideas???

    Take a step back and see how ridiculous you sound...

  45. [45] 
    Balthasar wrote:

    [38] I know that the writer of that piece apparently attributed statements to her that she didn't make.

    But it just doesn't matter, man. It just doesn't matter. The conditions of that shelter matter.

    That's what matters. If you don't like her word on it, how's about an entire report on the subject from the INSPECTOR GENERAL OF HOMELAND SECURITY.

    Hmmmmmmm, not good.

  46. [46] 
    Balthasar wrote:

    Are Democrats playing to the "general public" with their positions on up to birth and after birth abortions??

    Full and free healthcare and college for illegal immigrants, courtesy of the American middle class tax payer??

    Open borders???

    As long as you keep calling these Democratic ideas, we have nothing to talk about. I'm going to bed.

  47. [47] 
    Michale wrote:

    OK, back.. Had to feed the chickens and pigs.. :D

    What did I miss??

  48. [48] 
    Michale wrote:

    As long as you keep calling these Democratic ideas, we have nothing to talk about.

    Well, then we have nothing to talk about because those ARE Democrat ideas...

    I'm going to bed.

    Ni ni... Dream of a Democrat utopia where everyone can get an abortion and illegal immigrants get a free ride..

    Because THAT is the ONLY place where those things will happen.. In your dreams... :D

  49. [49] 
    Michale wrote:

    But it just doesn't matter, man. It just doesn't matter. The conditions of that shelter matter.

    Yea.. It's called JAIL....

    If illegal immigrants didn't commit crimes, they would not find themselves in those bad conditions..

    They are there SOLELY because of THEIR OWN actions...

  50. [50] 
    Michale wrote:

    We have Occasional Cortex's hysterical lies and bullshit..

    Border Patrol chief Brian Hastings told FNC's Martha MacCallum Monday night that derogatory banter discovered on a Facebook group for border patrol agents "are not representative of the standards of conduct that we as border patrol agents hold ourselves accountable to."

    Hastings also responded to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who toured two immigrant detention centers on Monday and described the conditions she saw as horrifying.

    "We don't treat people that way," Hastings said. "We provide fresh water, we provide food, we provide sanitary items as well as items for bathing and personal hygiene... We have fresh water available at all times in our facilities."

    And then we have the FACTS....

  51. [51] 
    Michale wrote:

    But it just doesn't matter, man. It just doesn't matter. The conditions of that shelter matter.

    Which explains why illegal immigrant criminals should wait in Mexico rather than in the US..

    If they insist on illegally coming to the US??

    Then that's what they get...

    It's really simple...

  52. [52] 
    Michale wrote:

    Apparently Democrats want to prosecute those who ridicule lawmakers online...

    Florida Democrat says those 'making fun' of members of Congress online should be 'prosecuted'

    Democrat Rep. Frederica Wilson said people who are “making fun” of members of Congress online should be “prosecuted.”

    The Florida Congresswoman made the comments on Tuesday outside of the Homestead Temporary Shelter for Unaccompanied Children in her home state.

    "Those people who are online making fun of members of Congress are a disgrace, and there is no need for anyone to think that is unacceptable,” Wilson said.

    “We're gonna shut them down and work with whoever it is to shut them down, and they should be prosecuted,” she added. “You cannot intimidate members of Congress, frighten members of Congress. It is against the law, and it's a shame in this United States of America.”
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/florida-democrat-making-fun-congress-should-prosecuted

    Now ya'all see why I stopped saying "Dumbo" and "Dumbocrats"...

    I didn't want Democrats to throw me in jail...

    :eyeroll:

  53. [53] 
    Michale wrote:

    This is exactly the reason for the 1st Amendment..

    The founders forsaw the existence of the Democrat Party and knew there would have to be protections against them.....

  54. [54] 
    Michale wrote:

    Now ya'all see why I stopped saying "Dumbo" and "Dumbocrats"...

    I didn't want Democrats to throw me in jail...

    Oh and I was just joking about this..

    I stopped with those names because Liz asked me nicely to.. :D

  55. [55] 
    ListenWhenYouHear wrote:

    Michale,

    What about Trump’s call to abolish incest laws and wanting to drop the age of consent to 10 years old nation-wide? This is what Trump is pushing on America to make it great again!

    Or his turning July 4th into a political rally/Soviet styled military parade because he said he wanted to show off our “new Sherman tanks” — Sherman tanks were last “new” in 1957, the year they stopped being produced! I’m pretty sure the whole reason Trump dropped by NK was to brag to his BFF that he was getting a parade too!

    Have you noticed that the GOP platform is all about fear? Scary, dangerous brown people...well, except for the ones Trump has no issue having work at his properties, of course! Yet, the one thing that poses the realest threat to us — climate change — Trump is going out of his way to silence government researchers from ever discussing or addressing.

  56. [56] 
    ListenWhenYouHear wrote:

    "We don't treat people that way," Hastings said. "We provide fresh water, we provide food, we provide sanitary items as well as items for bathing and personal hygiene... We have fresh water available at all times in our facilities."

    And then we have the FACTS....

    Then why was the DOJ attorney arguing that the government didn’t have to provide toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, or beds to those being held at the border IF they were providing those things???

    “We have fresh water available at all times in our facilities.” — it’s just a flush away for anyone who wants it!

  57. [57] 
    Michale wrote:

    What about Trump’s call to abolish incest laws and wanting to drop the age of consent to 10 years old nation-wide?

    Facts to support??

    No???

    Of course not..

    Have you noticed that the GOP platform is all about fear?

    Yer kidding, right????

    Democrat Party platform is SOLELY about fear... Fear of President Trump. Fear of scary Trump supporters.. Fear the planet will be destroyed in 12 years..

    Your Party corners the market on Fear Mongering, son..

    Yet, the one thing that poses the realest threat to us — climate change —

    Like I said.. Nothing but fear mongering.

    Then why was the DOJ attorney arguing that the government didn’t have to provide toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, or beds to those being held at the border IF they were providing those things???

    Again.. Any facts to support??

    Of course not...

    All you have is fear-mongering..

  58. [58] 
    Michale wrote:

    Yet, the one thing that poses the realest threat to us — climate change

    Ironically enough... Just like **ALL** of ya'all's Trump predictions..

    **ALL** of the hysterical THE SKY IS FALLING predictions have ALSO been 100% WRONG!!!! :D

  59. [59] 
    ListenWhenYouHear wrote:

    What about Trump’s call to abolish incest laws and wanting to drop the age of consent to 10 years old nation-wide?

    Facts to support??

    Sure! It was from your source that says Democrats are pushing for post-birth abortions and open-borders!

    Then why was the DOJ attorney arguing that the government didn’t have to provide toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, or beds to those being held at the border IF they were providing those things???

    Again.. Any facts to support??

    Google DOJ attorney Sarah Fabian... I’m surprised you don’t have her face tattooed on your body somewhere....she seems like she’d be the gurl of your dreams!

  60. [60] 
    Michale wrote:

    Sure! It was from your source that says Democrats are pushing for post-birth abortions and open-borders!

    Yea??

    I just re-read Governor Northram's words about post birth abortions... Didn't see anything about President Trump and incest..

    I also re-read the transcript from the Dem debates where they wanted to deciminalize all border crimes which is, for all intents and purposes an Open Border..

    Nothing about any of your claims in there either..

    I noticed you didn't dispute the Democrats and their support of abortion right up until the onset of labor..

    That alone is despicable and heinous..

    Google DOJ attorney Sarah Fabian...

    So, in other words, you don't have ANY facts to support yer claims. Yer just spewing fact-less bullshit. Same ol Same ol...

    So I guess yer just full of shit as usual...

  61. [61] 
    Michale wrote:

    END OF WATCH

    Deputy Sheriff Carlos Ramirez
    Kendall County Sheriff's Office, Texas
    End of Watch: Tuesday, July 2, 2019

    https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/1c1f544ea7b54a58eeb922b13ed887fee999c194c40e07aed62a98eda2ef6593.jpg

  62. [62] 
    Michale wrote:

    I noticed you didn't dispute the Democrats and their support of abortion right up until the onset of labor..

    That alone is despicable and heinous..

    That, coupled with Governor Northram's words, prove that Democrats support Casey Anthony Laws...

  63. [63] 
    Don Harris wrote:

    Kick (9)-
    Imagine that. An idea for a different approach to an issue that was not being acted on by legislators was put before voters and they used their votes to achieve action on the issue.

    There is more than one way to skin a salamander.

    And there is more than one way to deal with snakes and more than one way citizens can use their votes to achieve action on an issue.

    If someone were to set up a website where citizens could pledge to only vote for small donor candidates, pledge to contribute DIRECTLY to candidates making this commitment and not through the organization citizens could use their vote to achieve the goal of small donor candidates which is one way to get the big money out of politics that 80% of citizens say they want.

    Of course, if this idea is not put before the voters then they can't decide if they want to participate.

    CW?
    (plenty of available days coming up for a guest column. Also Philly is not too far from me so I could get there to hash out in person whatever reasons/ problems you have with this idea.)

  64. [64] 
    Michale wrote:

    But it just doesn't matter, man. It just doesn't matter. The conditions of that shelter matter.

    And WHY is the condition in the shelter so piss poor??

    Because Democrats insist on taking on ALL COMERS without a single solitary plan on how to house them, control them or sort out the few good ones from the thugs, murderers, gangbangers, druggies and child traffickers...

    Real smart move for the Democrats.. :eyeroll:

    Meanwhile, President Trump comes up with the *ONLY* plan that will work..

    Keep them in Mexico until their cases are adjudicated...

    There is absolutely NO REASON why we need to let these people into our country..

    Let them cool their heels in Mexico..

    It's the ONLY plan that makes any sense..

  65. [65] 
    Michale wrote:

    DONALD TRUMP'S BIGLY HUGELY SPECTACULAR MILITARY CELEBRATION AND SPEECH SIGNIFYING THE NUMBER ONE BEST EVER AMERICAN DAY!

    Of course, you know that this is all a pretext to deploy the military onto the streets of DC to participate in a wholesale arrest of the Democrat Leadership, right???

    Trump is engineering a military takeover of the whole United States government..

    Right???

    :eyeroll:

  66. [66] 
    Michale wrote:

    Apparently, the citizenship question is on the 2020 Census forms...

    Since the SCOTUS affirmed that the Department can put the question on the form, there was no reason NOT to include the question..

    What are the lower courts going to do?? Cancel the census?? :D

  67. [67] 
    ListenWhenYouHear wrote:

    I noticed you didn't dispute the Democrats and their support of abortion right up until the onset of labor..

    That alone is despicable and heinous..

    So you believe that a pregnant woman should be forced to give birth to a fetus that they know will be stillborn and puts the woman’s life at risk? How can that qualify as “pro-life”? Oh yeah...you are just pro-birth!

    Do you wear your “Women are only good for making babies” tank top under you bed sheets when you go to your klan rallies?

    I just re-read Governor Northram's words about post birth abortions... Didn't see anything about President Trump and incest..

    Did you skip over where Northam said he misspoke and corrected what he was trying to say? And you think Northam speaks for the entire party? Oh...you are used to not thinking for yourself and doing what your GOP masters tell you to do...my bad!

    Oh, and I’m not your “son”! Nor am I your “nephew”...which I realize for you are one in the same!

  68. [68] 
    Michale wrote:

    So you believe that a pregnant woman should be forced to give birth to a fetus that they know will be stillborn and puts the woman’s life at risk?

    No.. I don't..

    But apparently, YOU believe that a woman has the right to terminate her child an hour before it's delivered because she doesn't want to go thru the pain..

    THAT is disgusting..

    Did you skip over where Northam said he misspoke and corrected what he was trying to say?

    So, you agree that what he initially said was perverse and disgusting??

    Usually it's what people say first is that which they really mean..

    And you think Northam speaks for the entire party?

    He does if not one single person disputes what he said..

    Which no one here has...

  69. [69] 
    Michale wrote:

    Did you skip over where Northam said he misspoke and corrected what he was trying to say?

    So, you agree that Democrats supporting having a discussion AFTER birth as to whether the baby will live or die is perverse and disgusting...

    Right???

  70. [70] 
    Michale wrote:

    Oh, and I’m not your “son”! Nor am I your “nephew”..

    I know..

    But you ARE acting like a whiney little brat...

  71. [71] 
    Michale wrote:

    But, ok.. We're making progress...

    It's your position that Northram said something that was pretty awful and pretty disgusting, but you believe him when he says he just misspoke.. That is not what he really meant...

    Sooo...

    Say for example that President Trump said something that you took to be pretty awful...

    Can you allow for the idea that President Trump misspoke and that he didn't really mean what you think he meant??

    Do you see where I am going with this???

    You allow that Democrats misspeak and don't really mean they heinous things they say..

    But you CAN'T allow that maybe President Trump doesn't say the things you think he says..

    You can see why someone who is logical and rational might have an issue with your positions..

    Because, from where they sit, all your positions seem to be SOLELY based on whether or not it's a Republican or a Democrat who is saying alleged heinous things...

    You see??

    "Good talk.."
    -Rodney McKay, STARGATE ATLANTIS

  72. [72] 
    Balthasar wrote:

    Can you allow for the idea that President Trump misspoke and that he didn't really mean what you think he meant?

    Really? Name one time that that's happened.

  73. [73] 
    Michale wrote:

    Really? Name one time that that's happened.

    Every time ya'all went hysterical apeshit crazy about what Trump said..

    I mean, after all.. When a Democrat says something totally perverse and disgusting, ya'all defend them with "Oh, they misspoke" or "Oh they didn't mean that.."...

    So, couldn't that exact same thing happen with President Trump??

    No???

    Thank you for proving my point.. :D

    A Democrat is as pure as the driven snow..

    A Republican is Mark Pellegrino incarnate..

    :eyeroll:

  74. [74] 
    Balthasar wrote:

    Couldn't that exact same thing happen with President Trump?

    Oh, it could, thousands of times, but you won't find any. He won't admit a mistake.

    I even tried to think of a situation in which he did, but came up blank.

  75. [75] 
    Michale wrote:

    I even tried to think of a situation in which he did, but came up blank.

    And yet, you can think of DOZENS of times when a Dumb.... Democrat said something stoopid or heinous but they didn't really mean it..

    Thank you for proving my point..

  76. [76] 
    Kick wrote:

    Balthasar
    17

    Now, compare that to the Republicans, who have moved their overton window all of the way to the right. Can't get more right without wearing jack boots. Normal? Of course not. They'll be sorry when they sober up...

    Very well said, sir. Some of them are quite sober already; it's just too bad they don't possess backbones. :)

  77. [77] 
    Balthasar wrote:

    Mike [75] See? You couldn't think of a time when Trump stopped and reversed himself either, despite numerous times when he absolutely should have. Start all the way back at the inauguration. Crowd size, sir?

    So if one guy will admit a mistake, and the other won't, who do you trust more?

    Kick [76] It's a figure of speech, in this case. The Republicans only act drunk, at least we think so.

  78. [78] 
    Kick wrote:

    UPDATE

    It was obvious after their public bitch-slapping by the SCOTUS that the Trump administration would have to either continue perjuring themselves to the Court or drop the citizenship question from the 2020 census.

    Department of Justice confirms there will be no citizenship question on the 2020 Census. Duh.

    The Pathological Liar-in-Chief declares the reporting regarding his own Department of Justice's announcement as "FAKE." The DOJ announced that the 2020 census questionnaire would be printed without the citizenship question, and the media simply reported what the Liar's DOJ announced. It takes a special kind of stupid to describe your own administration as "fake," but then Trump does it often and thereby keeps proving without doubt the existence of his entrenched inherent ignorance.

    Moving on, Trump orders the DOJ to try to invent yet another lie that will allow them to screw a very large portion of American citizens out of representation... the United States Constitution be damned.

    In the meantime, Trump has publicly berated the SCOTUS regarding their decision and spoken several times on camera regarding the true reason for the census question, providing even more evidence why the SCOTUS made the correct decision.

  79. [79] 
    ListenWhenYouHear wrote:

    I mean, after all.. When a Democrat says something totally perverse and disgusting, ya'all defend them with "Oh, they misspoke" or "Oh they didn't mean that.."...

    So, couldn't that exact same thing happen with President Trump??

    When has Trump ever apologized and corrected the record when he has “misspoken”? When he said that he didn’t know about the Russian interference during the campaign that got him elected?

    When he bragged about grabbing when by the pussy and forcing himself on them because he believes being rich gives him permission to do so...was he misspeaking? Not according to the 22 women that have come forward to verify that he did to them what he bragged about to Billy Bush.

    Trump doesn’t “misspeak” in the same way most people do. When you or I “misspeak”, we are typically using verbiage that has a message that is the opposite of what we intended to say. It’s us saying something that isn’t truly how we feel.

    When Trump “misspeaks”, he tells the truth. Like when he said he fired Comey thinking that it would be the end of the Russian investigation. Trump lies so often that his attorneys refer to him giving testimony under oath as “a perjury trap”!

  80. [80] 
    Kick wrote:

    Balthasar
    77

    It's a figure of speech, in this case. The Republicans only act drunk, at least we think so.

    *laughs* Bartender humor! I wasn't even thinking about alcohol since "sober" also means: serious, sensible, thoughtful... all kinds of things where alcohol need not be involved.

    And now I'm making margaritas! Mango margaritas to be specific. :)

  81. [81] 
    Kick wrote:

    Russ
    79

    This! All of it! :)

  82. [82] 
    ListenWhenYouHear wrote:

    So you believe that a pregnant woman should be forced to give birth to a fetus that they know will be stillborn and puts the woman’s life at risk?

    No.. I don't..

    So you are pro-choice, because if you outlaw abortions then you are potentially forcing that scenario on women!


    But apparently, YOU believe that a woman has the right to terminate her child an hour before it's delivered because she doesn't want to go thru the pain..

    THAT is disgusting..

    Apparently you like to rape goats....which must be true because you have never specifically stated that you don’t like to rape goats...is that the game you are playing?

    I have always stated that abortion should be legal and the woman’s choice up until the fetus would be able to survive outside of the uterus unless the pregnancy poses a serious risk to the mother’s life. Who has ever heard of any woman carrying a baby to full term and once her water breaks, she demands an abortion? Gee, no one.

  83. [83] 
    Kick wrote:

    Let there be pie... lots and lots of pie!

    I did not see a mention of pie and simply sought to rectify its absence at once… and there you have it! :)

  84. [84] 
    Kick wrote:

    Russ
    82

    Apparently you like to rape goats....

    Now, now... you know this is categorically untrue!

    I have it on good authority that he loves to rape goats. He is a goat rapist of the highest order... obviously owing to the irrefutable fact that he never once said he wasn't.

    Also, I've heard people saying it... lots of people are saying it. Next thing you know, it'll be confirmed on Fux News thereby making it an undeniable Right Wingery FACT. :)

  85. [85] 
    Kick wrote:

    QUICK REMINDER

    The candidates in the GOP debates got into an argument about penis size.

  86. [86] 
    Chris Weigant wrote:

    First off --

    New column is up. Go check it out.

    OK, let's get to a few of these...

    nypoet22 [8] -

    Jury's still out for me on Biden. The way I see it now (new polls coming out daily...): Biden has slipped, but is still in first place. That's both bad and good at the same time, for him. He had such a commanding lead that he could afford to slip a little bit. However, what I think is dead (for now, at any rate) is the "inevitability" thing. Biden could indeed be beat. By any one of three (at the moment, this too could change): Sanders, Warren, or Harris.

    Kick [9] -

    You got that right. And they've got a solid SCOTUS ruling to back up the independent commissions now, too.

    Michale (and others) -

    The Overton Window has indeed shifted for the Democratic Party. I've given Bernie Sanders almost complete credit for doing so, many times. Has the Overton Window shifted for the country as a whole? On some issues, yes (marijuana legalization is one of them, sorry). On others, maybe not. But then again, that's what elections are all about, right?

    :-)

    What was the number 1 issue in 2018 midterms? Health care. Obamacare is now popular with a growing majority of Americans. That window has indeed shifted. GOP ideas have lost significant ground. But each issue is kinda hard to separate from all the others in a national election environment...

    Balthasar [31] -

    Best comment yet! Well stated!

    :-)

    Michale [37] -

    So, Democrats.. Win some elections and then you can gerrymander to yer heart's content...

    That's precisely what we did in 2018. Flipped a bunch of governor's seats and state legislatures. Onward to 2020!

    :-)

    As for what David Brooks thinks, well I have to admit he did crack a funny joke (on Twitter?): "I'm wearing New Balance sneakers because I can't support Nike, who was a goddess in a culture that approved of slavery."

    Nike foofaroo aside, that was pretty funny, I have to admit!

    Heh.

    OK, gotta run, lots to do to get ready for the trip...

    -CW

  87. [87] 
    chaszzzbrown wrote:

    [78] Kick

    UPDATE

    Update on the update! (It's not long, and pretty amusing):

    In Which A Judge Loses Patience; and a DOJ Lawyer Consumes Some Crow Pie.

    DOJ Lawyer Gardner expresses his general state of WTF:

    The tweet this morning was the first I had heard of the President's position on this issue, just like the plaintiffs and Your Honor. I do not have a deeper understanding of what that means at this juncture other than what the President has tweeted. But, obviously, as you can imagine, I am doing my absolute best to figure out what's going on.

  88. [88] 
    Kick wrote:

    Don Harris
    63

    Imagine that. An idea for a different approach to an issue that was not being acted on by legislators was put before voters and they used their votes to achieve action on the issue.

    Wrong. It was indeed the legislators who were acting to gerrymander the districts.

    Although the author of the blog is infinitely patient with your lame attempts at hijacking his words in order to advertise for your failed attempt at political activism, I'm not him. So listen carefully:

    Cease and desist in using my words to advertise your bullshit on this blog. Full stop. ~ Kick

    Any other comments you may have that are not related to your pathetic attempts at advertising are fine... let 'em rip, let 'em fly and be free. I have no problem with your political opinions; however, using my words to advertise on this blog? Not only "no" but "Hell no"! Don't do it.

    CW: Please tell your freeloading troll to stop using your readers' comments as a vehicle to advertise. It's bad enough that he uses your words in his lame attempts to advertise... but using mine? No!

  89. [89] 
    Kick wrote:

    chaszzzbrown a.k.a. Charles Brown, Esq.
    78

    Nice update, Charlie Brown!

    Friday in that court should be interesting. :)

  90. [90] 
    Kick wrote:

    chaszzzbrown a.k.a. Charles Brown, Esq.
    87 <--- EDIT... goobed up the number!

    Nice update, Charlie Brown!

    Friday in that court should be interesting. :)

  91. [91] 
    ListenWhenYouHear wrote:

    Kick [84]

    Love it!

    Happy 4th to you and your loved ones!

    -Russ

  92. [92] 
    Michale wrote:

    Mike [75] See? You couldn't think of a time when Trump stopped and reversed himself either, despite numerous times when he absolutely should have. Start all the way back at the inauguration. Crowd size, sir?

    You DO realize you are commenting about your own comment.. :eyeroll:

    Oh yea.. Hyperbole about crowd size is DEFINITELY comparable to "mistakenly" saying that a baby should be killed after it's born..

    :double eyeroll:

  93. [93] 
    Michale wrote:

    So you are pro-choice, because if you outlaw abortions then you are potentially forcing that scenario on women!

    Actually, I am pro-choice..

    Women of age are free to choose to engage in sexual activity that has the potential to produce a child..

    Once they have made that choice, the must abide by the consequences of that choice..

    Murdering a child about to be born should NEVER be an option..

    I understand you feel differently. Such is your right.. Just as it is MY right to tell you what a disgusting person you are for defending that option...

  94. [94] 
    Michale wrote:

    Jury's still out for me on Biden. The way I see it now (new polls coming out daily...): Biden has slipped, but is still in first place. That's both bad and good at the same time, for him. He had such a commanding lead that he could afford to slip a little bit. However, what I think is dead (for now, at any rate) is the "inevitability" thing. Biden could indeed be beat. By any one of three (at the moment, this too could change): Sanders, Warren, or Harris.

    Nice tap dance, CW.. :D

    I think what JL was wanting to know (I KNOW it's what I want to know) is do you believe that all the attacks over what Biden said was over-hyped and SOLELY for campaign purposes.. Or do you believe that what Biden said was truly as heinous as Booker and Harris et al made it out to be??

    The Overton Window has indeed shifted for the Democratic Party.

    Thank you...

    See, everybody?? THAT is how you answer a question..

    The hilarious thing is, there is NOTHING WRONG with admitting the facts.. You make it out to be that yer making such a HUGE concession when in fact yer simply acknowledging the facts..

    By denying what is plainly obvious, it makes ya'all look like idiots..

    Thank you, CW for having the courage to admit what is plainly obvious..

    That's precisely what we did in 2018. Flipped a bunch of governor's seats and state legislatures. Onward to 2020!

    OK, good.. Does this mean Democrats will quit whining about gerrymandering??? :D

    "In a pig's eye.."
    -Dr Leonard "Bones" McCoy

  95. [95] 
    Michale wrote:

    When he bragged about grabbing when by the pussy and forcing himself on them because he believes being rich gives him permission to do so...was he misspeaking?

    No, you are intentionally misleading by claiming things that were never said...

    Trump doesn’t “misspeak” in the same way most people do.

    Of course not.. Trump isn't really human after all... He's not like "normal" people

    :eyeroll:

    You see how utterly ridiculous you sound??

    When Trump “misspeaks”, he tells the truth.

    You mean, like Governor Northram did when he said that the mother and doctor would have a discussion about a baby born alive, whether the baby should be killed or be allowed to live..

    You mean like that???

    :eyeroll:

    Trump lies so often that his attorneys refer to him giving testimony under oath as “a perjury trap”!

    And Obama never told a single lie in office, right??

    You see how easy it is to shoot down your arguments and prove what a bigoted hypocrite you are???

    You never ONCE spoke out against Obama when Obama lied...

    NOT.... ONE.... SINGLE.... TIME....

    So, why should anyone believe you actually care about lying?? You only care about it when it's someone with an -R after his or her name does it..

    Pure unadulterated bigotry based hypocrisy..

  96. [96] 
    Michale wrote:

    Blathy,

    Still waiting for you to provide some examples of the Republican Party moving as far right as the Democrat Party has moved Left..

  97. [97] 
    Kick wrote:

    Russ
    91

    Love it!

    I thought you might.

    Happy 4th to you and your loved ones!

    And to you and yours, Russ! Let there be fireworks... but not within the city limits and definitely within reason. Oh, hell... who am I kidding... I'm talking sparklers! ;)

Leave a Reply

[If you have questions as to how to register or log in, to be able to post comments here, or if you'd like advanced commenting and formatting tips, please visit our "Commenting Tips" page, for further details.]

You must be logged in to post a comment.
If you are a new user, please register so you can post comments here.

[The first time you post a comment (after creating your user name and logging in), it will be held for approval. Please be patient (as it may take awhile). After your first comment has been approved, you will be able to post further comments instantly and automatically.]