ChrisWeigant.com

Message To My Readers

[ Posted Monday, December 26th, 2016 – 19:43 UTC ]

To all my regular readers -- here's hoping you're having a great holiday season!

I'm writing this today for a number of reasons: sharing my cool presents with you, asking your advice and wishes, and finally, because I just can't face politics the day after Christmas, sorry. In fact, this whole week could possibly have a few re-run columns, at least until Friday when we have our final installment of the year-end awards. And, because New Year's falls on the weekend, the annual "Banished Words" column will run a week from today, so there's that to look forward to.

 

OK, presents first. Here was the funniest present I got, although I opened it first and was not even close to being fully awake when I saw it:

Now, I haven't ridden a Greyhound in years, so why would someone be sending me a bus ticket? It's been even longer since I've been to Buffalo, and I don't believe I've ever been in Toronto, personally.

It took me a while (actually it was my wife who noticed) to figure out that the key to the whole joke was the date:

Let's see, what else is happening on January 20th? Hmmm... bus ticket to Canada doesn't sound so bad, now! Heh.

Thanks, W. (you know who you are) -- you once again get the prize for "best present of the year" in our house!

My second funny present was a double-barreled throwback. But what a mashup of popular culture! Here's the T-shirt I'll be wearing proudly from now on:

Anybody else get anything cool this year? Do tell!

 

OK, the rest of this open letter to readers was prompted by a recent comment by neilm:

My wish for Christmas - a five minute edit window for comments. Please Santa.

So here's an answer, of sorts.

I've been thinking about updating the site for a while now, but have not yet done so. The reasons for doing so are to fix annoying little problems like this, to modernize the WordPress code, and to make the site more friendly to hand-held devices. This last one is important, because Google now tracks this, and puts phone-friendly sites higher in their searches than older-style sites. So there's a technical motivator to do so.

The reasons for not doing so are pretty simple to understand. It would be a monstrous undertaking, and require hundreds of hours of my time (this is not an exaggeration -- ask anyone who writes any code, they'll tell you). This might mean anywhere from half a month to two months of being totally focused on the site, rather than the content.

I've upgraded the site once before, and it was exhausting. Also, I really hate the newer versions of the WordPress "dashboard" (the behind-the-scenes area you only see when logging in -- but that I use to post and tweak all the articles and comments). So I might not even upgrade the WordPress code. Plus, did I mention it would be an enormous amount of work?

In other words, I am not making any promises, and I am certainly not setting any schedule here. I might upgrade, but it might take me all of 2017, just to toss out one possibility. If I took it slow, then the work might not seem so overwhelming. In any case, just to repeat: no promises, no schedule.

Having said all of that, this is where you guys come in.

I'm going to run down my wish list for the site, but what I'm really interested in is your wish list. What would you change about the site? What would you try to keep the same (or at least similar)? What do you use and what don't you use on the site? What do you sincerely wish the site had now that it doesn't?

The easiest way to answer any of these is to ask you to point me to a site that you frequent where the feature you want exists. "I like site www.xyz.com because their comment-editing is the best" is the way to let me know. This is a BIG help for me, to put it another way.

This is due to a technical reason -- if I update the site, I will most likely begin with a new (and more-modern) "theme" and then forcibly change everything in it to my liking. Technically, this is the difference between renovating your home's kitchen and tearing the whole house down and rebuilding from the foundation up. I'll probably be doing the latter -- a complete site rebuild, rather than tinkering around the edges. So if I can find a site that I could work with the code, then I may be able to use their base theme to begin my new site (themes are basic frameworks for building sites, and there are many out there you can use for free). Also, on the technical side, I hate using plugins, and would prefer to avoid them altogether (although admittedly I may not be able to).

So the rest of this article is a list of the things that I want to change on the site. Again, let me know how you feel about any and all of these, pro or con. None is written in stone, except for the technical "make it work on phones better" thing (which is totally flexible when it comes to the actual design).

 

First, obviously, make it work on phones better. So Google won't ignore the site, too.

 

Change the layout from three columns to two. Right now, there is a left-hand column for "Most Recent Articles" and "Archives" and whatnot. Then there is a middle column, for article text. Then there is a right-hand column with other extras on it. I want to move everything from the right-hand column over to the left-hand column, and have the text column be wider. This is part of making it easier for phones, although I could be talked into having the "extras" column over on the right rather than the left (this may be a technical thing, too -- might be easier for phones if it was on the right, not really sure).

 

OK, from the top down: Fix the problem with the header image, so it centers with the rest of the pages. If you see my site on a monitor that is very wide, everything on the page centers except for the top image (the one with the cat). This has always bugged me, but I've never fixed it.

 

I'm open to maybe changing the button bar under the header, but I am adamant about NOT having "pop-up pull-down menus" appear when you roll your mouse over them, because they bug me no end on other sites. When you roll your mouse over a button, at most that button will change color to let you know you can click on it, but it will NEVER make a menu suddenly appear.

 

Background and "branding" colors -- these will not change, sorry. I like the parchment background, and will not be talked out of it. I like dark brown and dark blue together, so these will also not change. It's my brand, so I can do what I want with it. Hmmph. So there.

 

Fonts -- I'm not as tied to the fonts as I am to the colors. I have a "sans-serif" font (Text like this, without serifs) for the menu-level stuff (such as "Recent Articles"), but then a serif font for the article text (Times, I believe, possibly 12 point, I'd have to check). I personally like reading serif fonts, but not everyone shares this fondness. This sort of thing is stylistic, and like all fashions, moves in cycles. Right now, we are in the midst of the "everyone's doing it" cycle for sans-serif (with white background). That's how most media outlets display their articles. But I'm naturally a "never mind what the groupthink is" type of guy, so I really don't give a rat's patootie what the "in vogue" thing to do happens to be, at the moment. If enough of you demand a sans-serif font to read articles in, I might be convinced, but it'd have to be an overwhelming majority.

 

Right sidebar column -- well, ObamaPollWatch.com is going to become nothing more than an archive soon (there will be two more of these columns, then that's it). The FridayTalkingPoints.com site will remain, because for some people it's easier typing this in than trying to remember how to spell my name (hey, I don't blame them). Also, while I purchased a few years of both HillaryPollWatch.com and ClintonPollWatch.com, I will be letting those domain names lapse in a year or two (for obvious reasons). I will be keeping poll data for Trump, but I will not be writing a monthly TrumpPollWatch column -- instead, they may be infrequent "hah hah, look at how low Trump's gotten" sorts of columns, just to warn everyone in advance.

 

I have three "my links" lists in this sidebar, but right now I'm leaning towards just getting rid of them. These used to be quite popular in the early days of blogging, but have fallen out of fashion. Plus, I've never actually spent a whole lot of time updating them, so some of those links are now broken, I believe. Anyone want to speak up for the links? Otherwise, they'll disappear.

 

From the left sidebar column -- the Search function will likely get better, because this is one part of the theme that I don't edit. The one I've got works OK, but is not very sophisticated at all. I'll probably get a new one, don't know if it'll be all that much better or not. What I would like to see here (if I had my wishes) is a way to search the comments, which currently isn't possible.

 

Recent Articles -- the WordPress code has gotten a lot more robust, and the last time I tweaked my site, I almost tried to add something here. I believe there's a way to get a number for how many comments to the article have appeared since you last commented on it -- which I think would be a wonderful feature to have. What do you think? Even maybe just a "comments in the last 24 hours" number, or something like that? The number would appear at the end of the article's title, maybe in a smaller font or different color or something. In any case let me know, because I believe this is pretty easy to do now, programmatically.

 

Also, Recent Articles is only ten columns long (two weeks back, in most cases). Should it be longer? I used the two week cutoff because that's the amount of time comments are allowed (comments shut off automatically after two weeks). Should older articles still be open for comments? Let me know what you think.

 

Article Categories -- any categories you'd like to see here? I warn you that when I add new categories, I absolutely DO NOT go through all my old columns to re-categorize them, because it would take forever and a day to do so. So if you want new categories, be aware they'll only really work going forward.

 

Archive column -- that list is getting pretty long, since it goes back a full decade. What I've always wanted to do here is have the months listed for the current year, but then make the months list for earlier years into sub-lists. So you'd initially only see a list of this year's comments, then a list of all previous years (with no months). You'd then click on "2009" to see a list of all the months for that year, which would then appear beneath it. What do you think? Is this necessary or not?

 

The Multimedia thing at the bottom is kind of a hangover, but I'll probably leave it up for historical purposes. Oh, and I think HuffPost redid their site, so my author link might not even work anymore.

 

OK, main column text. Don't know what I'd do here, as I'm pretty happy with it. The quote blocks used to be wonky and not have a right-hand edge to them, but I fixed that problem a while ago. If you have problems with the font, or the size, or the layout, let me know. These are actually some of the easiest things to tinker with, so changes aren't that tough.

 

Oh, the donation logo is about to disappear, and (cough, cough) hopefully that green bar will make it all the way over to the right before it does! Keep those donations rolling in, folks, or else I'll have to resort to the kittens again! You have been warned! Heh.

 

OK, on the main page (where you can see ten article blurbs in a list), there's a big change that needs to happen to make the site not look, well... ten years old. There's a little bar of buttons at the bottom (they also appear at the bottom when reading an individual article) that were what everyone used back then. They are now laughably out of date (does Technorati even exist anymore?). So we'll be adding "post to Facebook," and Twitter, and other stuff like that. Now, I only have a Twitter account, so I'm not sure how the Facebook thing will work. But are there any other social media sites I should add a "share" button for? Let me know. I'll probably just copy this code from somewhere, so it'll likely just be a standard sort of thing.

 

I'm leaving the Permalinks (to both articles and comments), even if nobody else uses them, because I find them helpful. See that link to neilm's comment above -- that's how you use a permalink. When you want to point someone to an article (or even an individual comment), just copy the URL for the permalink and paste.

 

OK, after all of that, I'm going to end where I began, with the comments themselves. Yes, an edit feature would be nice. Actually, both a before and after edit feature would be nice. I tried to do a "before" one, but failed miserably. Just could not get the text in the "Preview" box to look the same as what would appear in the comments. I tried fixing this for like three solid months, and eventually just gave up. So hopefully I'll be able to have a "check it before you post" button as well as an "edit after the fact" button. The after the fact thing is more complicated, because it involves resetting the permissions for all users within the database itself, which is why I've never tackled it before.

 

We've had this debate before, but I'm reopening the subject for conversation. Anyone want to see paged comments? Right now, even if there are 200 comments, they all appear in one giant list. I could paginate these, maybe 50 comments per page? It's pretty easy to do, but it's a lot easier programmatically to leave it as one giant list. It does tend to screw up some browsers, towards the bottom, though. Just a thought.

 

One final note -- near the top of my "fix it" list is fixing the comment filter. The problem is with my autofilter function. Right now (this is very bad coding practice, but it kinda works), I am using one list to screen both new users trying to sign up for a login account (to cut out the spam user signups I get by the thousands) and the comment text from already-registered users. So when I ban some domain name (like "russianhackers.ru") sometimes it filters out comment text (like if you forgot a space or two and typed: "I hate russianhackers.Ruined the election."

This is why so many comments get caught in the filter (and why it appears so random), and I know it really needs fixing. There should be two blacklists, one for new users and one for comments. This will be a top priority on my fix-it list, even though it is behind the scenes and won't affect the site's appearance. I know having your comment autofiltered is a gigantic pain in the posterior, and I aim to fix the problem permanently. Programmatically, this is tough to do, but I'm going to make the effort.

 

So that's my list. Again -- no promises -- this might not happen any time soon. It might not even happen at all. But if I do get inspired to pretend to be a programmer once again, what would you have me change? Now is your chance to be heard. Call it my 2016 Festivus "airing of the grievances," if you will.

What bugs you about ChrisWeigant.com? What do you love and would hate to see changed? Now is the time to let me know about it. And in the meantime, I hope everyone's having a great holiday season!

-- Chris Weigant

 

Follow Chris on Twitter: @ChrisWeigant

 

45 Comments on “Message To My Readers”

  1. [1] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    What bugs you about ChrisWeigant.com?

    OMG ... now is a really bad time for me to answer that. Ahem

    So, I'm just going to wait until the absolute funk I am currently in goes away ... far, far away ...

    Could take more than a while.

  2. [2] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    ... oh, and all joking aside, we are ready with arms open and love in our hearts to welcome any and all of our disenchanted American friends ...

    ... although, if you live in California, can't think of one good reason why you would want to leave ... not one!

  3. [3] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    Wait just a second ...

    $11.50 for Buffalo to Toronto!!??

    Good God, the looney has sunk lower that I had realized ... :(

    Doesn't bode well for that funk I mentioned earlier ...

  4. [4] 
    neilm wrote:

    Merry Christmas CW. A bit late, and not as original as the bus ticket (that was outstanding!), but let's move the dial a bit.

  5. [5] 
    Chris Weigant wrote:

    LizM -

    I must admit, I had to check the sender's address, to make sure it wasn't from you...

    :-)

    I hear Tononto is lovely this time of year...

    -CW

  6. [6] 
    Chris Weigant wrote:

    neilm -

    Here you go -- you started this, so let's see what other readers would like on the site...

    :-)

    -CW

  7. [7] 
    michale wrote:

    Anybody else get anything cool this year? Do tell!

    Fifty Federation Credits!!! :D

    http://theworleys.net/temp/UFPcredits.jpg

    The easiest way to answer any of these is to ask you to point me to a site that you frequent where the feature you want exists. "I like site www xyz com because their comment-editing is the best" is the way to let me know. This is a BIG help for me, to put it another way.

    Since that might involve a lot of links, can you suspend the ONE LINK RULE for just this commentary??

    This is due to a technical reason -- if I update the site, I will most likely begin with a new (and more-modern) "theme" and then forcibly change everything in it to my liking.

    Suggestion for theme... :D

    pre06.deviantart.net/6f8a/th/pre/f/2013/095/7/9/lcars_full_screen_for_xwidget__edited__by_jimking-d5y22fl.png

    Also, Recent Articles is only ten columns long (two weeks back, in most cases). Should it be longer? I used the two week cutoff because that's the amount of time comments are allowed (comments shut off automatically after two weeks). Should older articles still be open for comments? Let me know what you think.

    I definitely would prefer a longer period for commentary availability.. Commenting availability is not any big deal. Usually comments are done within a few days in favor of newer commentaries..

    The after the fact thing is more complicated, because it involves resetting the permissions for all users within the database itself, which is why I've never tackled it before.

    A time limit on editing might be a good idea.. It will allow us to change a typo, a missing attribute (the bane of my posting existence :D) or a spelling error... But it wouldn't allow the commenter to change the comment substantially when new information becomes available..

    Not that anyone here in Weigantia would stoop to such low tactics... ahem :D

    Sounds like you have a huge undertaking, CW..

    I'll be around to help with testing if needed.. :D

    486

  8. [8] 
    michale wrote:

    I hear Tononto is lovely this time of year...

    -CW

    And Toronto is too!! :D heh

    Sorry, I couldn't resist.. :D

    488

  9. [9] 
    neilm wrote:

    neilm -

    Here you go -- you started this, so let's see what other readers would like on the site...

    :-)

    -CW

    My comment [4] was ambiguous, sorry - the dial I was meaning was the Green one at the top of the page.

    -NM

  10. [10] 
    neilm wrote:

    i.e. check out the donations :) Merry Late Christmas

  11. [11] 
    neilm wrote:

    Michale:

    Swap Israelis for Blacks, and Palestinians for U.S. police and both you and BLM are saying the same thing.

    You don't get the tragic irony, because you see yourself as always right in a black and white World.

  12. [12] 
    Don Harris wrote:

    Even being someone that is resistant to change I realize there is nothing I can do to stop it. Hopefully whatever you do will not affect me (like if you were to go to a Facebook only comments section).
    Once again, if you find yourself to busy or for whatever reason to write some columns I will be happy to provide a guest column.
    I am not sure what the subject might be, but maybe the suspense will get you to at least solicit an article to consider.

  13. [13] 
    michale wrote:

    Swap Israelis for Blacks, and Palestinians for U.S. police and both you and BLM are saying the same thing.

    Not even in the same galaxy...

    Unless you are accusing US Police of being terrorists...

    You don't get the tragic irony, because you see yourself as always right in a black and white World.

    No, what YOU don't get is that, when it comes to terrorism, it IS black and white.. And I *AM* right when it comes to condemnation of all terrorism..

    That is why you can't see beyond the ideological agenda...

    Don,

    Even being someone that is resistant to change I realize there is nothing I can do to stop it. Hopefully whatever you do will not affect me (like if you were to go to a Facebook only comments section).

    I think I can safely say that Hell will freeze over before CW goes to facebook... :D

  14. [14] 
    neilm wrote:

    Unless you are accusing US Police of being terrorists...

    No, you are.

  15. [15] 
    neilm wrote:

    No, what YOU don't get is that, when it comes to terrorism, it IS black and white.. And I *AM* right when it comes to condemnation of all terrorism..

    The problem is, and this has been pointed out to you, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Where do you stand on the IRA? Irish rebels fighting for freedom, or terrorists who killed families indiscriminately?

  16. [16] 
    michale wrote:

    The problem is, and this has been pointed out to you, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    No, the problem is THAT is the biggest piles of crap of ALL the piles of crap that exists in the world..

    And you have yet to find ANY facts to support your claim..

    Where do you stand on the IRA? Irish rebels fighting for freedom, or terrorists who killed families indiscriminately?

    Did the IRA renounce terrorism??

    Yes, they did...

    Have the Palestinians???

    No, they have not..

    That's the difference you refuse to accept and/or acknowledge...

  17. [17] 
    neilm wrote:

    And we can have even more fun with the Mujahideen.

    Mujahideen in 1980
    1.a Are they freedom fighters that Reagan assisted to fight against the illegal Russian occupation of Afghanistan?

    or

    1.b Terrorists who attacked and killed Afghan civilians, police and troops that the Russians were trying to protect after they were invited to help by the legitimate Government in Kabul?

    Mujahideen in 2003
    2.a Are they terrorists who attacked and killed Afghan civilians, police and troops that the Americans were trying to protect after they were invited to help by the legitimate Government in Kabul?

    or

    2.b Are they freedom fighters that Pakistan assists to fight against the illegal American occupation of Afghanistan?

    Black and White that, my friend. And there are dozens more examples of the same.

    Also, most of your friends in the Israeli Intelligence community, when they can talk off the record on retirement, know that the Settlements are decreasing Israeli security by creating the hopelessness in the Palestinian community that breeds resistance. Putting your foot on somebody's neck seems to upset them - who'd've guessed (not Bibi because he just likes to strut around acting tough - he and Trump are going to get along great, until they don't).

  18. [18] 
    michale wrote:

    Unless you are accusing US Police of being terrorists...

    No, you are.

    No, you are by claiming that US Police are the same as Palestinian terrorists..

  19. [19] 
    michale wrote:

    Mujahideen in 1980
    1.a Are they freedom fighters that Reagan assisted to fight against the illegal Russian occupation of Afghanistan?

    or

    1.b Terrorists who attacked and killed Afghan civilians, police and troops that the Russians were trying to protect after they were invited to help by the legitimate Government in Kabul?

    Mujahideen in 2003
    2.a Are they terrorists who attacked and killed Afghan civilians, police and troops that the Americans were trying to protect after they were invited to help by the legitimate Government in Kabul?

    You DO realize you are comparing 1980 apples to 2003 orangutans...

    lso, most of your friends in the Israeli Intelligence community, when they can talk off the record on retirement, know that the Settlements are decreasing Israeli security by creating the hopelessness in the Palestinian community that breeds resistance.

    Nothing of which justifies terrorism..

    What part of that do you not understand??

    I don't care HOW many feets are put on the necks of Palestinians..

    NOTHING.... JUSTIFIES..... TERRORISM.....

    NOTHING...

    As long as Israel doesn't commit terrorism, Israel is 1000% blameless...

    It's that simple...

  20. [20] 
    neilm wrote:

    That's the difference you refuse to accept and/or acknowledge...

    I know about this waaay more than you do. The IRA were bombing and shooting civilians all the way back to 1971 and through 1998.

    By 1998 it was clear to both sides in the community that the IRA and the UVF were just gangsters. The Omagh atrocity helped, especially as Irish citizens and Catholics were among the dead.

    My Dad's cousin opened a flower shop in Lisburn (a Protestant community south of Belfast). Within a week he was visited by the UVF telling him that for a 'small' sum they would protect his business from the IRA. He refused. His shop was bombed by the "IRA". He reopened and was bombed again and told if he reopened a third time the "IRA" might take that as an insult and bomb his family.

    There are no Black and White arguments. There are seldom any real "freedom fighters" or "terrorists".

    There are deranged people who walk into church and kill people. There are angry people who shoot into a car. There are angry deranged people who bomb a Federal building including a child care center. There are angry soldiers who have just lost a friend and shoot up the local families. There are deranged people who plot in the woods and send bombs.

    You can try to punish a community for their deranged people. You can try to punish a country for their angry people. But all you usually do is create more anger and put more weapons into the hands of the deranged.

  21. [21] 
    neilm wrote:

    As long as Israel doesn't commit terrorism, Israel is 1000% blameless...

    It's that simple...

    Lucky for you there isn't anything like the Duma arson attack that tarnishes that 1000% blameless record. Or Israelis tossing grenades into a Palestinian family's home in Beitillu.

    Still 1000% Black and White?

  22. [22] 
    neilm wrote:

    NOTHING.... JUSTIFIES..... TERRORISM.....

    NOTHING...

    This is a failure of imagination on your part. You could be a "TERRORIST" way more easily than you imagine. You are just lucky enough to have been born in a society that is mostly just. But even here there are people who believe the Government is oppressing them.

    What do you think about the terrorists who took over the Government facilities in Oregon last year?

  23. [23] 
    michale wrote:

    There are no Black and White arguments. There are seldom any real "freedom fighters" or "terrorists".

    That's where you are wrong..

    This is a failure of imagination on your part. You could be a "TERRORIST" way more easily than you imagine.

    Not if one knows the definition of terrorism..

    Lucky for you there isn't anything like the Duma arson attack that tarnishes that 1000% blameless record. Or Israelis tossing grenades into a Palestinian family's home in Beitillu.

    Cites???

  24. [24] 
    michale wrote:

    What do you think about the terrorists who took over the Government facilities in Oregon last year?

    Do you mean the terrorists who took over the Dakota pipeline area???

  25. [25] 
    michale wrote:

    But let's take this discussion to the previous commentary..

    This commentary is more geared towards CW's request for suggestions.. :D

  26. [26] 
    neilm wrote:
  27. [27] 
    neilm wrote:
  28. [28] 
    neilm wrote:

    This is one of the problems with the site - conversations peter out on one thread so I don't know whether to keep on the old one or move to the new one. I'm not sure how to solve this. You and I can monopolize the conversation and bore everybody else. Often sites will use a tree structure, so that they show the top link on a subject and then somebody can expand a sub thread - maybe that is the best way rather than a single thread. Even one level deep would be enough.

    An alternative would be a notification of 'replies' to comments so that if I hit 'reply' on a comment from a couple of days ago the original authors get notified. FB uses notifications to let you know when anybody has commented on a thread you have commented on - that works as well.

  29. [29] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    I think I can safely say that Hell will freeze over before CW goes to facebook... :D

    Well, Hell has already frozen over once, you know ...

  30. [30] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    Neil,

    This is one of the problems with the site - conversations peter out on one thread so I don't know whether to keep on the old one or move to the new one. I'm not sure how to solve this.

    I have learned - the hard way - that it is ill-advised to comment on an old thread. And, that's all I'm gonna say about that.

  31. [31] 
    ListenWhenYouHear wrote:

    CW,

    Do you remember HuffPost's old comments section -- before they sold out to Facebook? I LOVED their set-up: your messages were stored, you could easily keep conversations going with their notifications, you could flag spammers or comments that were not appropriate and they'd get removed. HuffPost had a community of volunteer moderators that actually cared about keeping the conversations going. They lost so many people when they sold out to Facebook (and had the nerve to try to claim going to Facebook was done to keep the comments section more civil!) Recreating that would be incredibly difficult I realize, but I think it's a good place to start.

    Russ

  32. [32] 
    michale wrote:

    you could flag spammers or comments that were not appropriate and they'd get removed.

    The problem with that was "appropriate" was *solely* based on ideology...

    "Not appropriate" became a euphemism for unpopular ideas and arguments, passionately argued... It was so much easier to silence unpopular ideas than it was to effectively counter them with facts...

    Yes, I speak from experience.. :D I have seen what happens to forums {{cough}} {{cough}} Banter Line {{cough}} where mob rule is enforced...

    I would hate to see that happen here.. Not that I believe the veterans of Weigantia would ever stoop to that.. But if we get newcomers here who don't know the ways of our world, things might get..... messy... :D

    515

  33. [33] 
    neilm wrote:

    Being able to see your comment history would be great.

  34. [34] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    why would you want to do that, Neil?

  35. [35] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    Russ,

    The "moderators" at HP were a joke.

  36. [36] 
    michale wrote:

    Personally, I like the comment process here.. Just a straight shot down the line..

    Yea, you miss comments when things get heated but that could ALSO be a plus.. :D Who knows how many really aggressive comment threads had ended because someone missed a retort... :D

    I think threaded comments just look too unweildy and intimidating.. I especially hate DISQUS comments because they keep indenting subsequent comments until you are posting in a comment box the size of a postage stamp...

    Liz,

    The "moderators" at HP were a joke.

    They were selected for Party loyalty....

    518

  37. [37] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    They were a joke, of course, when they weren't saving me from myself. Which happened, on occasion. Heh.

  38. [38] 
    neilm wrote:

    why would you want to do that, Neil?

    Because I often put links in from research I find that I want to use later.

  39. [39] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    They were selected for Party loyalty....

    They were selected, apparently, on the basis of number of asinine comments and, the more the better ... it was really outrageous who was given moderating functions.

  40. [40] 
    neilm wrote:

    They were selected, apparently, on the basis of number of asinine comments and, the more the better

    Michale - you and I would be superusers if that was the criteria.

    I've always wanted to decide whose comments live or die ;)

  41. [41] 
    ListenWhenYouHear wrote:

    "Not appropriate" as in threats, comments that were graphicly sexual, comments that were attacking the commenter without any mention of the topic being discussed... That kind of stuff. No one on here comes anywhere near the point of needing to be flagged for their comments.

  42. [42] 
    michale wrote:

    Michale - you and I would be superusers if that was the criteria.

    Heh :D

  43. [43] 
    altohone wrote:

    Hey CW

    I'm late to this party, but my preference would be to leave it as it is and spend the time on interaction.

    A

  44. [44] 
    Chris Weigant wrote:

    OK, here's a few random responses.

    Obviously, I could use some comment editing myself (Toronato? Wasn't that a Ford model?... heh).

    I could do the nested/thread thing, although I'd probably stop at one deep (otherwise things move too far to the right).

    Notifications may be a bridge too far, that'd need a lot of programming, or a plugin (which I hate).

    Like I said, I think seeing how many comments since you last commented might help, although not sure the command is that specific (would need some investigation).

    All good feeback, for me to ponder...

    -CW

  45. [45] 
    Chris Weigant wrote:

    altohone [43] -

    A vote for doing nothing! Now that's heartening...

    :-)

    heh (sorry, my inherent laziness, which always votes for doing nothing, had to answer that).

    -CW

Comments for this article are closed.