ChrisWeigant.com

Trump Tries To Reassure The Markets

[ Posted Wednesday, February 26th, 2020 – 18:15 UTC ]

Donald Trump is known to be a germophobe, but his fear of COVID-19 has nothing to do with any personal fear of actually contracting the virus. No, he's scared for a bigger reason -- because he knows that if the virus causes a sickness in the American economy writ large, then this will undercut his biggest campaign theme heading into the 2020 election. He's made this argument many times, essentially telling voters that they may not like him personally or appreciate his tweets, but the economy is so darn good that they have to vote for him so he can continue the good times.

That argument breaks down if the economy isn't doing well, obviously. Which is why it is no surprise that Trump reportedly was incensed at the stock market for tanking the first two days of this week, on fears of what a coronavirus pandemic could do not just to the American economy but to the whole world's economy. America is now so intertwined with foreign economies -- China's in particular -- that if they turn down it could cause America to enter a recession as well.

This was the backdrop for Trump's hastily-called press conference today. He was expected to talk up the economy and try to calm fears in the market. He did so, to the best of his ability. But he also notably tried to shift blame for the stock market downturn to the Democratic presidential candidates and the debate last night. The part about the debate really makes no sense whatsoever, because the market didn't actually tank today -- the only day when the debate could have affected things.

But it fits into Trump's worldview, which holds that anything good that happens in America is a direct result of his leadership, while anything bad at all simply has to be someone else's fault. This is a bedrock tenet for Trump, so it really was no surprise to hear Trump bashing Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, the Democratic presidential nominees, and (for good measure) the Federal Reserve chair in his press conference today. If Trump's grandiose promises don't actually come true, it is always -- always -- someone else's fault. I'm surprised he didn't try to blame Obama or Obamacare, personally.

But a worldwide disease scare is much bigger than Trump, the Democrats, or American politics as a whole. Viruses aren't members of political parties, nor are they citizens of any one country. And with the interconnected nature of the worldwide economy, a serious outbreak far from American shores can indeed affect what happens here at home -- which is precisely why the markets reacted. Because even if the optimism now emanating from the White House over how well protected American citizens are becomes true -- and the virus doesn't spread like wildfire but continues to be contained and relatively minor here -- what happens in places like China and Italy and South Korea will still affect our economy.

Many American manufacturers depend on Chinese factories -- sometimes exclusively. If the supply chains are interrupted by quarantines of entire cities, then American companies will suffer, at least in the short term. In the longer term, some companies may shift to manufacture their products in Mexico, which is closer to home and is covered by the North American free trade zone. But switching factories doesn't happen instantly -- it takes time.

If the world's economy -- and the American economy -- suffer a downturn (even a minor one), the entire situation will really be beyond the control of any American politician, from Trump on down. We could do the best job in the world of protecting our own citizens, but we are not in control of other countries' health systems. If such a downturn does develop, there's is little anyone in Washington will be able to do to stop it. There just aren't any levers to pull, really, which will somehow magically restore the supply chains that could be disrupted.

This is why Trump is so scared. Up until now, the economy has chugged along at roughly the same rate it did during Barack Obama's second term. Despite all his claims to the contrary, Trump has not actually ushered in some golden age of growth. If we were stronger now, we wouldn't be at such risk, perhaps, but we're not. The American economy has remained pretty positive, but it is still vulnerable to outside influences like a disruption of the Chinese supply chain.

Trump could prove to be right when he predicts: "It'll all end soon." But then again, he could be wrong. If things do turn out worse, this could be a defining moment in his presidency, even though the events are largely beyond his control. If the economy sours heading into spring and summer, Trump is going to be denied his biggest talking point on the campaign trail. Doubtlessly he'll develop new ones, and also doubtlessly he'll blame the entire thing on Bernie Sanders or the Fed chair, or anyone else who happens to be handy. Of course, none of them -- not even Trump -- will really be to blame. Because pandemics simply don't care about domestic politics one way or the other.

-- Chris Weigant

 

Follow Chris on Twitter: @ChrisWeigant

 

77 Comments on “Trump Tries To Reassure The Markets”

  1. [1] 
    Don Harris wrote:

    We are helpless against a virus that will not die out on it's own. There is no way our political system could work fast enough to do anything.

    Just look at how little action has been taken on the virus infecting our political system for decades. It grows and grows and the infection keeps spreading.

    We are so used to it that we don't even try to do anything about it. We are satisfied with superficial snake oil potions that at best occasionally offer minor relief to a symptom or two.

    Many of us are so reassured by this predictability that they don't even bother to participate in our political process.

    It's sickening.

  2. [2] 
    Kick wrote:

    In the same press conference:

    * Trump claims there are 15 cases in the United States, the CDC confirms there are around 60 known cases.
    * Trump claims we may not have any more cases; the CDC says we do expect more cases.
    * Trump claims we're already nearly at zero...

    You get the idea. Meanwhile, Rush Limbaugh informs the MAGA rubes that:

    Folks, this coronavirus thing, I want to try to put this in perspective for you. It looks like the coronavirus is being weaponized as yet another element to bring down Donald Trump. Now, I want to tell you the truth about the coronavirus. You think I’m wrong about this? You think I’m missing it by saying that’s -- Yeah, I’m dead right on this. The coronavirus is the common cold, folks.

    Stop right there. Pay no attention to America's hot bag of wind, COVID-19 is not the common cold. The right-wing misinformation echo chamber goes on to make a false equivalency with COVID-19/cop shows and fentanyl, which is utterly ridiculous and then goes on to state:

    The stock market’s down like 900 points right now. And I think - the survival rate of this is 98%! You have to read very deeply to find that number. Two percent of the people get the coronavirus die. That’s less than the flu, folks. That is a far lower death statistic than any form of influenza, which is an annual thing that everybody gets shots for.

    Wrong. Trump, of course, repeated a similar lie in his press conference today and displayed his regular standard ignorance as per usual. That is not only not less than the flu, it is 10-20 times higher than the typical yearly death rate of the flu in the United States, depending on the flu season, of course.

    They believe 80% of these cases might actually be a mild form of the disease and are going untested and therefore undocumented. So what is the known (yet possibly unreliable) data?

    Death rate

    So far this flu season, about 0.05% of people who caught the flu have died from the virus in the U.S., according to CDC data.

    The death rate for COVID-19 appears to be higher than that of the flu.

    In the study published Feb. 18 in the China CDC Weekly, researchers found a death rate from COVID-19 to be around 2.3% in mainland China. That's much higher than the death rate linked to flu, which is typically around 0.1% in the U.S., according to The New York Times.

    Even so, the death rate for COVID-19 varied by location and an individual’s age, among other factors. For instance, in Hubei Province, the epicenter of the outbreak, the death rate reached 2.9%; in other provinces of China, that rate was just 0.4%. In addition, older adults have been hit the hardest. The death rate soars to 14.8% in those 80 and older; among those ages 70 to 79, the COVID-19 death rate in China seems to be about 8%; it’s 3.6% for those ages 60 to 69; 1.3% for 50 to 59; 0.4% for the age group 40 to 49; and just 0.2% for people ages 10 to 39. Nobody 9 and under has died of this coronavirus to date.

    https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html

    Here in the United States? The fact is, they don't know. Suffice it to say, it is not as reported by the right-wing echo chamber, "like the common cold," and the CDC testing in the United States has been faulty. Therefore, as of today, Feb. 26, only ~445 people have actually been tested in the United States for the COVID-19... juxtapose that with South Korea who've tested 35,000+ as of yesterday, February 25.

    As I posted on yesterday's commentary: This morning, our government issued warnings that current stocks of necessary medical supplies are predicted to be depleted in 2 days and to prepare to prioritize/delay/cancel medical procedures. Luckily -- just kidding, no luck involved whatsoever -- I managed to locate some necessary medical supplies for my crew that our government isn't prepared to provide... but we are.

    So to recap: Trump eliminated NSC post that safeguarded against global pandemics... because Obama formed them... and has deeply cut the budgets of the CDC and NIH and medical budgets of federal government hospitals nationwide. There are worldwide shortages of supplies, and the United States has tested less than 500 Americans for COVID-19. They have no idea what to expect here in the United States, but they have data from China as stated above.

    No reason to panic, but:

    * "Thoughts and prayers"
    * Cross your fingers
    * Hope it's nothing
    * Hope we get lucky

    Those are the facts.

  3. [3] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    Chris,

    How should Democrats explain that they are the best stewards of the economy based on the fact that their economic policies are pro-growth while Republican policies are not - leaving aside, for the moment, the idea that a no-growth policy may be required to combat climate change.

    They can start by pointing to more than three decades worth of the results from the implementation of both Democratic and Republican economic policy.

    Whether the stock markets keep chugging along or they don't, can Democrats win in November if they can't convince a majority of voters that they are the best stewards of the economy? Is Senator Sanders capable of making that case?

  4. [4] 
    ListenWhenYouHear wrote:

    Liz,

    (Glad to see your name in the posts again!)

    Is Senator Sanders capable of making that case?

    I think he’ll be able to show that he’s voted in line with Democrats on the majority of legislation. And while Democrats have been better than Republicans in helping our economy benefit a broader section of society, his focus is going to be on the future and not the past. This has been a problem that I have had with Biden’s campaign — his focus has been so heavy on his past accomplishments and not focusing on the new ideas he has. It just seems that Joe has not gotten his ideas for our future out front of voters...not as well as the other candidates have.

  5. [5] 
    ListenWhenYouHear wrote:

    Kick:

    Thanks for the update on the coronavirus! I don’t know which is worse: ignorance like Rush peddles, or hysterical doomsday hypochondriacs?

    A local school nearby is shutting down for a day to clean the school in order to calm the fears of overly-panicked parents...which is idiotic, but the kids are happy!

  6. [6] 
    Kick wrote:

    Russ
    5

    Well, darling, you're kind of at ground zero on the East Coast there since multiple hundreds of Americans were flown in by our government from China to be quarantined at multiple military bases before being allowed to leave:

    * January 28, March Air Reserve Base, Riverside, California area

    * February 5, Travis Air Force Base, Sacramento, California area

    Unfortunately, uninfected passengers were transported alongside infected passengers against the CDC's advice.

    Fast Forward to yesterday, February 26, when the first American to be tested with COVID-19 with no (as yet) known link to foreign travel is located in... one guess.

    If reports are correct, the patient arrived from another California hospital and is now being treated at UC Davis Medical Center. The patient is a resident of Solano County, California, near where hundreds of Americans evacuated from China were quarantined at Travis AFB and then released. A test was immediately requested by UC Davis to the CDC on February 19 but wasn't performed until Sunday and confirmed yesterday.

    Meanwhile, in your neck of the woods, the number of people being monitored has been cut in half, and your state resident infected has been released from the hospital.

    So the parents are freaking out? I totally understand that... but then I was at ground zero where the only two cases of EVD ever contracted in the United States occurred. Nobody really freaked out, though. Ebola... big whoop. We're bad asses here in Texas. :)

  7. [7] 
    Kick wrote:

    EDIT to [6] -- Totally Tired

    Russ
    5

    Well, darling, you're kind of at ground zero on the West Coast there...

  8. [8] 
    Michale wrote:

    Donald Trump is known to be a germophobe, but his fear of COVID-19 has nothing to do with any personal fear of actually contracting the virus. No, he's scared for a bigger reason -- because he knows that if the virus causes a sickness in the American economy writ large, then this will undercut his biggest campaign theme heading into the 2020 election.

    Yea... THAT must be it... :eyeroll:

    I see that HHPTDS is alive and well in Weigantia...

    I don't need to read any more to know what it says..

    TRUMP BAD TRUMP BAD TRUMP BAD

    So much for REALITY based forum, eh? :eyeroll:

  9. [9] 
    Michale wrote:

    FPC,

    Russ,

    Hitler and Trump are both narcissistic psychopaths.

    Factually not accurate... But I will give you a half point for narcissistic...

    Do you know who else is narcissistic?? Odumbo..

    So, once again, you cannot find a single similarity that is shared ONLY by Trump and Hitler..

    So, it's just nothing but hate and bigotry talking..

    They both viewed themselves as being the only ones that could lead the country, they were the only ones who could make their nation prosper; THEY WERE THEIR NATION! Loyalty to country meant loyalty to them.

    Once again.. That sounds EXACTLY like Odumbo...

    You said that both Trump and Hitler were great speakers; but that’s not even close to true — Trump speaks in babbling word salads most rallies.

    And yet, he totally bitch-slapped YOUR chosen champion to hell and back..

    And is set to do it AGAIN in Nov.. :D

    So, that doesn't say much for you, does it, Russie-poo?? :D

    No, Trump and Hitler are great motivators and manipulators.

    Again.. As is Odumbo..

    So, I have been proven factually accurate once again..

    There is not a single solitary attribute that is unique to Trump and Hitler..

    And anyone who says otherwise is simply speaking from hate and/or bigotry...

  10. [10] 
    Michale wrote:

    Victoria,

    Facts to support??

    Sorry if the facts don't fit your pathetic worldview, but here we are.

    You have offered NO FACTS... So, yes.. here we are..

    With you spewing bullshit and having absolutely no facts to support your bullshit..

    Here we are, indeed..

    I do sincerely wish you well.

    Again, no facts to support..

    If this were factually accurate, you wouldn't be such a 14-carat bitch all the time..

    So take your faux concern and shove it up your ass..

  11. [11] 
    Michale wrote:

    19 has nothing to do with any personal fear of actually contracting the virus. No, he's scared for a bigger reason -- because he knows that if the virus causes a sickness in the American economy writ large, then this will undercut his biggest campaign theme heading into the 2020 election.

    And what is even MORE annoying about this is you can't POSSIBLY know what goes on in President Trump's head..

    Yet, you say this bullshit as if it's FACT.. As if it's REALITY..

    What happened to the REALITY based forum??

    Since HHPTDS has set in, there has been VERY LITTLE reality here..

    Will Weigantia *EVER* find it's way back to reality???

  12. [12] 
    Michale wrote:

    Yes, this outbreak is concerning..

    But what's the FIRST thing.... the **VERY** first thing ya'all do??

    Ya'all make it about President Trump.... :eyeroll:

    The ***VERY*** first mention of the coronavirus ANYWHERE in Weigantia???

    And it's ALL about how bad President Trump is..

    I swear, a psychologist would have a FIELD day in here analyzing the completely and utterly prevalent HHPTDS here in Weigantia..

    In the good old days of yore, we used to have conversations about all sorts of things...

    These days it's:

    "Did ya hear about the shooting in the beer factory??"

    "It's all Trump's fault!!!"

    "Did ya see the new episode of Picard??"

    "Trump is evil, dirty, evil!!!"

    "Howz the weather where you are??"

    "Trump is devil incarnate. This country can't survive Trump!!!"

    It's almost to the point I don't even have to bother showing up here.. Because I *ALWAYS* know what's going to be said..

    TRUMP IS BAD

    That is today's Weigantia's entire message..

    But hope springs eternal.. I hope to come here and actually see REALITY reflected in the commentary and comments..

    Maybe when President Trump wins re-election in a landslide and Democrats lose the House, reality will set in...

    As I said.. Hope springs eternal...

  13. [13] 
    Michale wrote:

    FPC

    JM,

    Maybe it has to do with the consequence that Florida doesn't vote until later in March after Super Tuesday... But the only candidates I have heard from here in North Florida so far, multiple times in fact, either in TV ads, by flyers in the mail, and by text messages from Social Media, are Bloomberg and Sanders.

    And YOU want to do away with the Electoral and go with STRICTLY the Vanity Vote???

    You DO realize that you'll NEVER EVER see a candidate again unless you travel to Texas, California or New York if we just did the Vanity Vote thing, right??

    Do you Democrats **EVER** think before you speak???

    I would also not rule out Bernie winning a general election, given the impressive ground based organization he is building and the enthusiasm of his supporters.

    You can DEFINITELY rule out Bernie winning the General..

    Do you **HONESTLY** believe Americans will elect a man who would feel right at home in Venezuela??

    Com'on.. I know you suffer from DBR, but you really aren't THAT stoopid, are you???

    Same for Bloomberg, IF he does well on Super Tuesday, or if not, he swings his organization and money behind the Democratic candidate like he said he would.

    So, for all yer talk about billionaires and old white men, you would vote for one for POTUS..

    So much for integrity and principles, eh? :^/

  14. [14] 
    Michale wrote:

    As far as the coronavirus goes??

    Com'on..

    We've lived thru bird flu, swine flu, ebola, Y2K, 2012... Justin Beiber... :D

    But I have to give ya'all credit...

    This is new..

    Ya'all have managed to take an allegedly deadly life-on-earth-ending contagion....

    And made it ALL ABOUT President Trump...

    Such hate and bigotry REALLY takes some talent, I have to say.... :smirk: :D

  15. [15] 
    Michale wrote:

    So, let's take stock..

    Chris introduces a supposed deadly life ending outbreak to his commentaries..

    And he mentions President Trump 14 times while discussing this deadly virus...

    Not to be outdone, Victoria makes a boring comment full of bullshit about this alleged very dangerous outbreak..

    And SHE mentions President Trump 6 times...

    What have we learned???

    President Trump has permanent residence in both CW's and Victoria's head.. :D

    And that they can take ANY subject from the mundane to the macabre....

    And make it ALL about President Trump..

  16. [16] 
    Michale wrote:

    Liz,

    How should Democrats explain that they are the best stewards of the economy based on the fact that their economic policies are pro-growth while Republican policies are not.

    I would like to see Democrats explain that as well..\

    ESPECIALLY given the **FACTS** that the Obama economy was slow and anemic and HIS only contribution to helping is to inform Americans, "Ya better get used to it people.. It doesn't get any better.."

    It's clear from the FACTS that Democrats don't have a CLUE about how to make things better for Americans.

    THEIR only solution is to try and try and try to overturn and nullify a free, fair, legal, democratic and Constitutional election...

    - leaving aside, for the moment, the idea that a no-growth policy may be required to combat climate change.

    Good point.. Under today's current technology Democrats can't have both...

    But their belief in a climate change emergency has already been proven to be non-existent...

    Why else would they not give up any and every modern convenience???

  17. [17] 
    Don Harris wrote:

    "They can start by pointing to more than three decades worth of the results of the implementation of both Democratic and Republican economic policy."

    Yes, that will clear things up.

    The last several decades of the rich getting richer and the vast majority of citizens having incomes remaining stagnant while costs go up no matter which party is in power will provide the information needed to determine which party is doing less harm.

    And that is what is important. The clear pragmatic choice is to keep choosing the party that hurts you less ensuring the same lack of choice in the next election rather than take action now that will lead to being able to choose candidates that will make things better.

    No, the current Bernie can't make the case that the Dems are better than the Republicans on the economy because they both work for the big money interests and make the economy benefit the big money interests.

    But a small donor only Bernie could make the case that the small donor Democrats that are not beholden to big money would in the future work for ordinary citizens instead of continuing to work for the big money interests.

    Asking if Bernie can pull off the same deception with a different spin is not the right question.

    The right question is what action can Bernie take now that will clearly distinguish the difference between the big money Dems of the last few decades from the Dems of that present and future that would be working for ordinary because their campaigns were financed by ordinary citizens.

    He who pays the piper calls the tune.

    Keep voting for big money candidates and the song will be a dirge.

  18. [18] 
    Don Harris wrote:

    If only CW and the rest of the Trump obsessives that make everything about Trump could redirect the energy to something positive like making everything about what the real problem that CAUSED Trump is- big money infecting our political process.

    After three decades it's time to take your medicine and at this point you don't deserve a spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down.

    It's time to suck it up and take your medicine instead of continuing to go down and suck up to the big money interests.

  19. [19] 
    Don Harris wrote:

    The picture of Bernie in a G-string with the big money tucked in is not going to inspire people to vote for the Dems.

    Only the people that want to believe they are smart enough to see the emporer's new clothes will see that as a beautiful outfit.

    I would much rather see Bernie completely covered with small donor money that would make a complete outfit and leave enough material left over to clothe many other small donor candidates in appropriate outfits.

  20. [20] 
    Michale wrote:

    I don't think anyone is knocking your idea in theory, DH..

    But it's one of those things that, given the current reality, just isn't going to happen..

    ESPECIALLY in the here and now where people are HYSTERICALLY and IRRATIONALLY filled with Hatred over Trump..

    These Trump/America haters would cut the hearts out of virgins beneath the blood moon if they thought it would get rid of President Trump..

  21. [21] 
    Michale wrote:

    Hillary Clinton took more cash from Harvey Weinstein than any other Democrat
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hillary-clinton-took-more-cash-from-harvey-weinstein-than-any-other-democrat

    Says it all right there...

  22. [22] 
    Michale wrote:

    On a personal note... I am officiating my daughter's wedding this weekend..

    Anyone ever done this before?? Any hints or tips ya can give me??

  23. [23] 
    Don Harris wrote:

    I wish someone would knock the idea in theory.

    Then at least we would be discussing it.

    And that is the first step in changing the current reality to a reality where it does happen.

    Just like every other idea that was not at one time achievable in the reality of that time that became achievable as reality changed.

    As Joe Biden said "This is America. There's not one single thing we can't do if we do it together."

    So Joe Biden says we can do One Demand.

    Or else he forgot to add "...except for running small donor only campaigns."

  24. [24] 
    Michale wrote:

    I wish someone would knock the idea in theory.

    Then at least we would be discussing it.

    Knocking only comes when there is disagreement..

    EVERYONE agrees that getting rid of big money in politics which, at it's base, means getting rid of bought and purchased by special interests candidates..

    Which is why President Trump's election was such a breath of fresh air..

    "She's a breath of fresh ass... I mean a breast of fresh air..."
    -Artimus Gordon, WILD WILD WEST

    :D

    President Trump is beholden to NO ONE except the American people who elected him...

  25. [25] 
    Michale wrote:

    It's also essential to stop the momentum of Sanders, who won two of the first three contests and seems well-positioned in a number of Super Tuesday states.

    Many top Democrats, including congressional leaders, are wringing their hands over Sanders winning the party nomination. They fear, with cause, that it will mean four more years of Donald Trump, Republican control of both houses of Congress and Republicans in a position to dominate redistricting after the 2020 census.
    https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/484665-to-avoid-november-catastrophe-democrats-have-to-ko-sanders

    It's a FACT that many Democrats see a Sanders nomination as the path to losing the House in addition to the Senate and the White House..

    Ya'all are so found of "consensus"..

    There is a consensus that Sanders will be an utter catastrophe for the Democrat Party...

    Kewl... :D

  26. [26] 
    Michale wrote:

    I noticed that no one wanted to comment on the STUNNING loss that Democrats just had President Trump and the courts handed them..

    What IS it with you Democrats that ya'all keep LOSING over and over and over and over again...??? :D

    When will ya'all ever face the fact that ya'all simply CANNOT win??

  27. [27] 
    Don Harris wrote:

    "Knocking only comes when there is disagreement."

    Yep.

    While "everyone" agrees on the problem and the goal, we disagree on the approach to achieve that goal.

    There was nothing fresh about the air of Trump's election.

    Trump used some of his own money in the primary and took big money during the general election.

    President Trump is not beholden to the people that elected him any more than any other con artist is beholden to the people they have conned.

    A small donor only Bernie would be beholden to the people that elected and financed him.

    He who pays the piper calls the tune.

  28. [28] 
    Don Harris wrote:

    There is no consensus that Bernie would lose to Trump.

    The people saying it do not believe it. That is purposeful disinformation.

    When you keep repeating it and treating it as if it were real you are just exposing your lack of understanding of obvious ruses.

    Just like you buy the nonsense about Trump only being beholden to those that voted for him. Unless that is you trying to spread purposeful disinformation.

  29. [29] 
    Michale wrote:

    There was nothing fresh about the air of Trump's election.

    That's a matter of opinion..

    "Fresh" is in the eye of the beholder..

    But it's an undeniable FACT that President Trump's election was definitely a change to politics as usual..

    Trump used some of his own money in the primary and took big money during the general election.

    While he may have taken big money, he did sell his soul..

    Thereby proving that big money, in and of itself, is no big deal..

    It's what candidates have to promise in exchange..

    President Trump is not beholden to the people that elected him any more than any other con artist is beholden to the people they have conned.

    And yet, the FACTS show that President Trump IS seeing to the needs of those who elected him..

    Ergo, he is not the con man you claim him to be..

    He who pays the piper calls the tune.

    Generally speaking, that is true... But President Trump is the exception that emphasizes the rule..

  30. [30] 
    Michale wrote:

    There is no consensus that Bernie would lose to Trump.

    Yes, there is...

    The people saying it do not believe it. That is purposeful disinformation.

    Assumes facts not in evidence..

    When you keep repeating it and treating it as if it were real you are just exposing your lack of understanding of obvious ruses.

    That's one possibility..

    Employing Occam's Razor, since I have been dead on balls factually accurate the vast majority of the time, the most likely possibility is that I am factually accurate and you are engaged in wish-casting..

    Just like you buy the nonsense about Trump only being beholden to those that voted for him.

    And yet, the FACTS show exactly that... :D

    President Trump's latest court win over Dumbocrats and their moronic Sanctuary Cities is a PERFECT example.. :D

  31. [31] 
    Don Harris wrote:

    The farce is strong with this one. :D

  32. [32] 
    Michale wrote:

    The farce is strong with this one. :D

    Good comeback.. :D

    But this "farce" has been going STRONG for over 3 years now and it's all but certain to continue til at LEAST 20 Jan 2024..

    So, maybe the "farce" is thinking it's a farce.. :D

    "We can't discount the possibility just because we don't happen to like it."
    -Martin Sheen, THE FINAL COUNTDOWN

  33. [33] 
    John M wrote:

    [13] Michale wrote:

    "And YOU want to do away with the Electoral and go with STRICTLY the Vanity Vote???"

    When did I ever post that I personally want to do away with the electoral college??? PROOF or is that just YOUR assumption???

    "So, for all yer talk about billionaires and old white men, you would vote for one for POTUS.."

    AGAIN, when did I, in any post, ever say I was personally supporting Bloomberg, or any other specific candidate for that matter??? PROOF, or just your own personal assumption yet again???

  34. [34] 
    Michale wrote:

    When did I ever post that I personally want to do away with the electoral college??? PROOF or is that just YOUR assumption???

    That's my assumption..

    Are you saying you are NOT in favor of changing the EC to a strict vanity vote??

    AGAIN, when did I, in any post, ever say I was personally supporting Bloomberg, or any other specific candidate for that matter??? PROOF, or just your own personal assumption yet again???

    Yes, when you speak good of a candidate, it is a reasonable assumption you are going to vote for them..

    Maybe if you weren't so wishy-washy and state what you mean, I wouldn't have to interpret...

  35. [35] 
    MtnCaddy wrote:

    Don Harris

    [17]

    I disagree. Granted, all on the radar American political parties have no choice under our current BigMoney® system but to solicit and accept, er, BM. But that does not mean that there's no difference between disrupter-Sanders and disrupter-Trump regarding the economy. Repugs since Reagan keep giving tax relief to those who least need it and who won't spend it all like the rest of us would. Dems not so much. Although Michale I'm plenty pissed at Slick Willy and all the Dem triangulators along the way who've been enablers.

    And that's not including trashing our environment and all of the social issues.

    Are you banking on the certainty
    that by Bernie announcing he'll no longer accept more than [fill in the blank] from anyone (person? union?) that he'll for sure get that $500M? If Bern/anyone takes that leap of faith and it costs them the nomination because they took time off from scraping for every dollar they'll be sooo bummed and it'll kill your idea for the foreseeable future.

    Most of us agree on Point B, Don. How do we get there from Point A?

  36. [36] 
    dsws wrote:

    The new coronavirus certainly is not the common cold. On the other hand, it's not the 1918 flu either. Odds are, it will turn out to be not that big a deal: just one more viral illness, normally not diagnosed specifically because in most cases there's no point in figuring out exactly what virus a person has.

  37. [37] 
    Michale wrote:

    MC,

    Although Michale I'm plenty pissed at Slick Willy and all the Dem triangulators along the way who've been enablers.

    And that's not including trashing our environment and all of the social issues.

    And yet, you are not giving them equal time... How come??

    I mean, if you don't actively condemn those people, why should they bother changing their behavior??

  38. [38] 
    Michale wrote:

    Dan,

    The new coronavirus certainly is not the common cold. On the other hand, it's not the 1918 flu either.

    Exactly..

    It's funny.. Everyone here acknowledges that the media likes to fear monger and blow things way out of proportion to make their ratings and their $$$$

    Yet, when it supports the Trump/America hating agenda, they support the media to the hilt..

    It's funny...

    "I find that really funny.... But ya'all ain't laughin'..."
    -Detective Edwards, MEN IN BLACK

    Odds are, it will turn out to be not that big a deal: just one more viral illness, normally not diagnosed specifically because in most cases there's no point in figuring out exactly what virus a person has.

    Yep.. Another swine flu or bird flu or Y2K or "Climate Change"...

    But hay.. If these Trump/America haters can milk it to attack President Trump??

    They will fear monger with the best of 'em....

  39. [39] 
    Don Harris wrote:

    Michale-
    While Trump is a farce, that's not who I was referring to.

  40. [40] 
    Don Harris wrote:

    Mtn Caddy-
    What? It is NOT granted the the candidates/parties have no choice but to accept big money.

    What part of 3% of presidential election voters averaqeing 100 dollars in contributions totaling 500 million dollars do you not understand?

    How exactly is saying one party hurts you less saying they are the same? All I did was point out the similarity that they both work for the big money interests.

    The Dems hurt you less to appear to offer a choice. As you said "Dems not so much".

    No I am not banking on a certainty.

    It is impossible to be certain before it is tried on anything that has not been done.

    What makes you think if people tried this in 2020 and it wasn't completely successful that it would end the idea?

    I could list dozens of politicians and ideas that did not become successful right away but that did not end them forever from Ronald Reagan and his vice president not winning the nomination on their first try right up to Hillary and Bernie.

    The people involved in 2020 would be aware that it will take more than one election cycle to be fully effective so why would they give up after one election?

    And trends demonstrate it is more likely to be successful than not successful.

    Fortune favors the bold. And the risk is low compared to the possible reward.

    The risk is high that not taking the next step to small donor campaigns will continue to be ineffective.

    We get from point A to point B by moving toward point B instead of remaining at point A as point B gets farther and farther away. You will not get to point B by remaining at point A.

    "Okay, I get the point."
    -Vinnie
    "No, I don't think you do."
    -Judge
    My Cousin Vinny

  41. [41] 
    Don Harris wrote:

    Mtn Caddy-
    So could you answer these simple questions:

    Would you not voter for small donor Bernie?

    Do you think anyone that would vote for current Bernie would not vote for small donor Bernie?

    Do you think there are people that would not vote for current Bernie but would vote for small donor Bernie?

    Do you think there more people that would not vote for small donor Bernie but would vote for current Bernie than there are people that would vote for small donor Bernie but would not vote for current Bernie?

  42. [42] 
    dsws wrote:

    I wrote:
    Odds are, [the new coronavirus] will turn out to be not that big a deal

    Here's the thing about "odds are" situations: the less-likely outcomes do turn up, not most of the time but enough to matter.

    Financial markets respond to risk, not just to most-likely scenarios. That's as it should be. A modest drop in stock prices doesn't seem particularly unreasonable, given what we don't know about 2019-ncov.

  43. [43] 
    Michale wrote:

    DH,

    While Trump is a farce, that's not who I was referring to.

    As I said.. The idea that Trump is a farce IS a farce..

    Considering how much good he has done to date and how utterly hysterically the Trump/America haters are to remove him??

    "Farce" is far FAR from how President Trump can be described..

  44. [44] 
    Michale wrote:

    WASHINGTON (AP) — Sen. Bernie Sanders’ ascendancy as Democrats’ leading presidential hopeful fueled growing unease as lawmakers openly expressed anxiety that the self-proclaimed democratic socialist could cost them House control and questions abounded over what party leaders should do.
    https://apnews.com/9a4c92caee9b60e52cba3742df3acfea

    It's not just me sayin' it people...

  45. [45] 
    Michale wrote:

    Freshman Rep. Elaine Luria, D-Va., who defeated an incumbent Republican in 2018 in a swing district in coastal Virginia, said a Sanders candidacy would be “incredibly divisive” and endanger more centrist lawmakers like herself. The former Navy commander said of GOP efforts to paint all Democrats as socialists, “Bernie Sanders just adds fuel to that fire.”

    It was centrist, moderate, GOP-lite candidates who gave the House their majority..

    And a Sanders nomination will throw all that away...

  46. [46] 
    Michale wrote:

    Biden, Bloomberg dinged for false claims Trump cut health funds to fight coronavirus

    CORONAVIRUSPublished 2 hours ago
    AP fact check dings Democrats for false coronavirus claims

    https://www.foxnews.com/media/ap-fact-check-biden-bloomberg-coronavirus

    When it comes to bullshite Trump/America hating coronavirus claims??

    Democrats are full of shit..

  47. [47] 
    Kick wrote:

    Mike
    10

    You have offered NO FACTS...

    Incorrect... same repetitive spew from you, different day. Also, for whatever reason I cannot fathom, you seem to still be hanging on to the asinine conclusion that the opinion of a fat bald uneducated trailer goober who constantly whines like a troll toddler is going to stop others from posting their factual information and their opinions... when it never will. Keep drooling your repetitive bullshit; meanwhile, others will post despite all your whining in your pathetic attempts at disrupting the flow of dialogue. You're both predictable and pathetic.

    You go with that theory, dumb-ass.

    Meanwhile, anyone with two brain cells to rub together and the ability to read between the lines, you've been notified. I do sincerely wish you well. ~ Kick

    If this were factually accurate, you wouldn't be such a 14-carat bitch all the time..

    Oh, did my original post that wasn't about you get your knickers in a twist? Looks like I am yet another in a long list of posters who also doesn't post to please the blathering board troll. Additionally, I am not at all constrained to point out that you were the "dumb-ass" in that scenario wherein I was obviously wishing wellness to everyone else here. I'm not sure how you got confused -- oh, wait -- yes, I am.

    So take your faux concern and shove it up your ass..

    Your mistake, as usual; neither my original post nor my concern was meant for you, "dumb-ass."

  48. [48] 
    Michale wrote:

    Victoria,

    Incorrect...

    Actually, it's factually correct.. You have posted NO FACTS to support your hysterical fear-mongering PSA bullshit..

    Once again, you are caught in a lie..

  49. [49] 
    C. R. Stucki wrote:

    Re "Trump tries to reassure . . ."

    It appears to have not worked

  50. [50] 
    Kick wrote:

    Mike
    10

    Incorrect...

    Actually, it's factually correct.. You have posted NO FACTS to support your hysterical fear-mongering PSA bullshit..

    But that's not what you said, dumb-ass. You said: "You have offered NO FACTS." Your ignorance of the facts I offered is your problem and no one else's.

    I posted facts. You don't like it? Even better.

    Once again, you are caught in a lie..

    Wrong. I did post facts, and your drooling bullshit claims otherwise mean absolutely bupkis. Prove me wrong. Good luck, dumb-ass.

  51. [51] 
    Kick wrote:

    C. R. Stucki
    49

    Re "Trump tries to reassure . . ."

    I know, right!? It's right on par with the sentiment: "Pinocchio tries to convince."

    It appears to have not worked.

    What gave it away?
    The DJIA.

    Accidental rhyme. :)

  52. [52] 
    Michale wrote:

    Crack Whore..

    But that's not what you said, dumb-ass. You said: "You have offered NO FACTS."

    Yes.. That's what I said..

    And it's factually accurate because you offered NO FACTS to support your bullshit PSA announcement..

    Did you get hit in the head by your pimp/boy friend again???

    I posted facts.

    No.. You posted bullshit..

    As you always do...

    Prove me wrong. Good luck, dumb-ass.

    I just did crack whore..

    You have NO FACTS to support *ANYTHING* you posted..

  53. [53] 
    ListenWhenYouHear wrote:

    They both viewed themselves as being the only ones that could lead the country, they were the only ones who could make their nation prosper; THEY WERE THEIR NATION! Loyalty to country meant loyalty to them.

    Once again.. That sounds EXACTLY like Odumbo...

    How ridiculous can you get? Please offer up the times where Obama demanded loyalty to him above all others? When did Obama ever refer to himself as “The Chosen One”? When did Obama suggest that investigating him would lead to the economy suffering?

    You say this sounds EXACTLY like Obama, then you should have no problem providing evidence to support that claim? Cue “deflection because Michale cannot defend his claim” response!

  54. [54] 
    Michale wrote:

    How ridiculous can you get? Please offer up the times where Obama demanded loyalty to him above all others?

    Why??? It's not as if you will acknowledge the facts...

    But hay.. OK.. I'll provide an example of Obama demanding loyalty to him and his administration...

    Do you promise to acknowledge it??

    When did Obama ever refer to himself as “The Chosen One”?

    Oh pullleeeezzee...

    "This was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal"

    Obama was yer Messiah and he acted like it..

    Cue “deflection because Michale cannot defend his claim” response!

    Nope.. The deflection comes now when you hem and haw and run away like the scared little bitch you are.. :D

  55. [55] 
    Kick wrote:

    Russ
    53

    How ridiculous can you get? Please offer up the times where Obama demanded loyalty to him above all others? When did Obama ever refer to himself as “The Chosen One”? When did Obama suggest that investigating him would lead to the economy suffering?

    Deflection, whining, and name calling are Mike's routine. When Mike turns toddler troll and resorts to the same old repetitive name calling bullshit... point to you, Russ.

    You say this sounds EXACTLY like Obama, then you should have no problem providing evidence to support that claim? Cue “deflection because Michale cannot defend his claim” response!

    Same old drooling and deflecting from Mike... every time.

  56. [56] 
    Don Harris wrote:

    While there are more appropriate words to describe Trump than farce, using farce was just using a mild word.

    But again the only reason I mentioned Trump being a farce is because you said he isn't. The person I was referring to originally as a farce was not Trump.

    And claiming Trump is not a farce among other nonsense that have no basis in reality proves I was right.

  57. [57] 
    Kick wrote:

    Mike
    54

    "This was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal"

    "I alone can fix it."

    "So great looking and smart, a true Stable Genius!" July 11, 2019

    Threatening to "obliterate" Turkey's economy on October 7, 2019, Trump touted his "great and unmatched wisdom."

    On July 3, 2018, Trump bragged: "If not for me, we would now be at War with North Korea!"

    Obama was yer Messiah and he acted like it..

    Your worship of the Twittering Twerp and loyalty to a man and not a Party are nothing more than your own projection of your own pathetic drooling. Your attempt to assign your own behavior to anyone else on this board? No one who comments here is dumb enough to fall for that BS... with the exception of yourself.

    Point to Russ.

  58. [58] 
    Michale wrote:

    Crack Whore..

    yea, we know you slobber all over Russ's knob daily..

    Don't have to announce it here..

    But, as usual, Russ runs away like the scared little bitch he is...

    But you do prove one thing..

    My residence in your head is blatant and obvious for all to see.. :D

    It's pretty empty in your head, but I can make do.. :D

  59. [59] 
    Michale wrote:

    And, of course, when President Trump wins re-election and Dumbocrats lose the House...

    Ya'all will be utterly and complete demoralized and decimated.. :D

    Won't that be fun!!?? :D

  60. [60] 
    Kick wrote:

    Mike
    52

    You have offered NO FACTS. ~ Mike

    Yes.. That's what I said..

    Yes, that's what you said so you are definitely lying because I did offer FACTS.

    And it's factually accurate because you offered NO FACTS to support your bullshit PSA announcement..

    No, you said I offered no facts, and that is a damn lie. What I posted was a fact unless you can prove otherwise since you claimed it wasn't a fact. Prove I am wrong. Good luck because you can't. Meanwhile, I will post my facts whether you prattle on and on about something you obviously know nothing about or not. Your constant whining and prattling won't ever stop me, and I can't help it if you're ignorant of the facts and choose to keep proving your stupidity at every conceivable opportunity.

    You made the claim my facts were wrong. Prove it. You can't. You lose.

    No one here posts to suit you. Deal with it.

  61. [61] 
    Kick wrote:

    Russ

    I think Mike is jealous. Meantime, call us whatever you wish, Mike. It won't change you pathetic existence. *laughs*

  62. [62] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    Prolific tediousness in conjunction with a complete lack of self-discipline has ruined this place.

  63. [63] 
    Kick wrote:

    Mike
    15

    So, let's take stock..

    Chris introduces a supposed deadly life ending outbreak to his commentaries..

    And he mentions President Trump 14 times while discussing this deadly virus...

    Not to be outdone, Victoria makes a boring comment full of bullshit about this alleged very dangerous outbreak..

    And SHE mentions President Trump 6 times...

    What have we learned???

    We have learned:

    * You whine like a toddler if anyone talks about President Spanky McOrangeFace LiarMouth.

    * You whine about Victoria constantly.

    * You suck at math.

  64. [64] 
    Kick wrote:

    EDIT 63

    Mike
    15

    So, let's take stock..

    Chris introduces a supposed deadly life ending outbreak to his commentaries..

    And he mentions President Trump 14 times while discussing this deadly virus...

    Not to be outdone, Victoria makes a boring comment full of bullshit about this alleged very dangerous outbreak..

    And SHE mentions President Trump 6 times...

    What have we learned???

    We have learned:

    * You whine like a toddler if anyone talks about President Spanky McOrangeFace LiarMouth.

    * You whine about Victoria constantly.

    * You suck at math.

  65. [65] 
    dsws wrote:

    [62] Elizabeth Miller wrote:
    Prolific tediousness in conjunction with a complete lack of self-discipline has ruined this place.

    Yeah.

  66. [66] 
    Don Harris wrote:

    I would say prolific tediousness in conjunction with a complete lack of discipline and people complaining about tediousness and a lack of discipline while not participating with those that are trying to have real discussions has ruined this place.

    For example the questions in comment 41 no one seems to want to answer.

    I really didn't want to have to keep going back to those questions and that subject, but I just couldn't stop myself.:D

  67. [67] 
    Don Harris wrote:

    Another good example would be Joe Biden saying that One Demand can be done if we do it together.

    That's your guy ,Liz.

    No comment? No discussion?

    No holier than thou ground to complain from.

    Make it a better place by engaging in discussion instead of just complaining.

  68. [68] 
    Don Harris wrote:

    CW could set a positive example by discussing One Demand.

    South Carolina is coming up.

    As long as CW's car doesn't break down on the way to or from a concert he should be available. :D

  69. [69] 
    Don Harris wrote:

    Of course, I can't really claim to be the only one here that is trying- there are many here that are extremely trying. :D

  70. [70] 
    ListenWhenYouHear wrote:

    Michale,

    And yet, the FACTS show that President Trump IS seeing to the needs of those who elected him..

    Yeah, he’s bending over backwards for Putin!

  71. [71] 
    Kick wrote:

    Russ
    70

    Yeah, he’s bending over backwards for Putin!

    Facts are facts. Point to Russ. :)

  72. [72] 
    ListenWhenYouHear wrote:

    "This was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal"

    So you resort to cutting part of a sentence out in the hope of distorting it’s context...classy as ever! Let me post the full paragraph from his speech so you can tell me how this demonstrates Obama’s narcissism....

    Because if we are willing to work for it, and fight for it, and believe in it, then I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the moment when we ended a war and secured our nation and restored our image as the last, best hope on Earth. This was the moment - this was the time - when we came together to remake this great nation so that it may always reflect our very best selves, and our highest ideals. Thank you, God Bless you, and may God Bless the United States of America.

    In fact, let me post one more part of Obama’s speech....

    All of you chose to support a candidate you believe in deeply. But at the end of the day, we aren’t the reason you came out and waited in lines that stretched block after block to make your voice heard. You didn’t do that because of me or Senator Clinton or anyone else. You did it because you know in your hearts that at this moment - a moment that will define a generation - we cannot afford to keep doing what we’ve been doing. We owe our children a better future. We owe our country a better future. And for all those who dream of that future tonight, I say - let us begin the work together. Let us unite in common effort to chart a new course for America.

    So tell me again how these are the words of someone who tries to claim that they are the only one who can save America.., point out where Obama says he is the CHOSEN ONE!

    Yeah, you might want to reconsider your worship of Trump...it is why your health is getting worse — all that negativity and hatred and dishonesty — it’ll kill ya!

  73. [73] 
    ListenWhenYouHear wrote:

    Kick,

    We have learned:

    * You whine like a toddler if anyone talks about President Spanky McOrangeFace LiarMouth.

    * You whine about Victoria constantly.

    * You suck at math.

    And BOOM goes the dynamite!!!

  74. [74] 
    ListenWhenYouHear wrote:

    Kick,

    I think Mike is jealous. Meantime, call us whatever you wish, Mike. It won't change you pathetic existence. *laughs*

    Dear lord, you can just hear the vileness spewing out as he foams at the mouth because of his inability to defend any of his arguments. He cannot stand that we both have smacked him down and made him humiliate himself by pointing out the many contradictions and lies that he unloads on everyone here.

    So glad Mike Penis is going to be the Coronavirus Czar....he did so well the last time he was in charge of overseeing a medical emergency!!!

  75. [75] 
    ListenWhenYouHear wrote:

    dsws

    The new coronavirus certainly is not the common cold. On the other hand, it's not the 1918 flu either.

    Actually, the coronavirus has a higher mortality rate currently than the 1918 flu. The 1918 flu was 1.8% and the coronavirus is at 2%. This is the percentage of people who do not survive getting the illness. Compare it to the start of HIV outbreak in the mid/late 80’s where the death rate was pretty much 100%.

  76. [76] 
    Kick wrote:

    Russ
    72

    Well, you'll just confuse him with all those actual facts versus the GOP standard exercise of taking things out of context on purpose in order to froth up the low-information rubes who don't read, can't read, or have trouble interpreting simple English words.

    Yeah, you might want to reconsider your worship of Trump...it is why your health is getting worse — all that negativity and hatred and dishonesty — it’ll kill ya!

    Very much like all that pathetic Romney worship they professed for years and years only to be ordered at CPAC 2020 to boo him:

    Because he lied to every single person in this room that knocked on doors for him, that made phone calls for him, that donated to his campaign because we thought that he was going to be a crusader..." blah, blah, blah. ~ Typical Right-Wing Grifter

    https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1233061238248222720

    Hey, Russ, how long would you wager it'll be before they're bleating in unison and subserviently booing Donald Trump like obedient sheeple because "he lied to every single person..."? Talk about human chattel; they're hysterical... like zombies on cue.

    Impeachment isn't unconstitutional, you mindless morons... it's written into the United States Constitution that impeached Hair Trump... Your Dick Tater you'll be angrily outraged about at a CPAC in your future... in perpetuity.

  77. [77] 
    Kick wrote:

    Russ
    74

    I know, right!? All that obvious anger and frothy hatred of Michale is palpable and performed repetitively and on cue as if stuck on right-wing subservient spectacularly stupid.

    So glad Mike Penis is going to be the Coronavirus Czar....he did so well the last time he was in charge of overseeing a medical emergency!!!

    Yes, sir, and leave it to Donald Dick to place the "smoking doesn't kill" Mike Penis in charge of leading the effort to "promote the general Welfare" of "We the People." What better way to shoot your short little orange middle finger at Americans and Science simultaneously?

    Despite the hysteria from the political class and the media, smoking doesn't kill. ~ Mike Pence, March 2001

Comments for this article are closed.