ChrisWeigant.com

Scandalpalooza!

[ Posted Thursday, May 18th, 2017 – 17:12 PDT ]

From the beginning, the administration of Donald Trump has been providing roughly one scandal per week. Not a week went by without some explosive story appearing in the headlines. That pace, obviously, was unsustainable. Incredibly, however, this pace is now rapidly increasing. Last week, we moved into "scandal of the day" territory, and are now fast approaching "scandal of the hour." Welcome to the Scandalpalooza that is the Trump administration!

Consider that in the past day alone, the following stories have broken in the news (I should mention that the Washington Post highlighted six of these headlines in one article, if anyone wants links to the full stories):

  • A former F.B.I. director was named as special counsel to investigate the Trump campaign's ties to Russia (and everything related, up to and including the firing of James Comey).
  • The Trump campaign apparently contacted Russians a previously-undisclosed 18 times.
  • Two top House Republicans joked last summer that Trump was on Putin's payroll.
  • Trump's transition knew Michael Flynn was under federal investigation, but Trump went ahead and named him National Security Advisor anyway.
  • The Syrian Kurds had to delay their plans to launch the battle to take Raqqa away from the Islamic State by months, because Michael Flynn was being paid by Turkey to lobby for Turkish interests (Turkey didn't want the Kurds to be the ones to reclaim Raqqa).
  • Many White House staffers are reportedly eyeing the exits and looking for other work.
  • Trump is reportedly considering naming Joe Lieberman to head the F.B.I., which is supposed to signify some sort of outreach to Democrats (which will backfire, because few Democrats have any love left for Lieberman).
  • Trump himself confirmed the reports that he mistakenly thought his firing of James Comey would generate bipartisan applause.
  • Trump repeatedly played the victim card, whining at the Coast Guard Academy graduation and then later tweeting he was the target of the biggest witchhunt in American political history. Waaah! Everybody feel sorry for the president!

All of those stories broke within the space of one day. And the day's not even over yet. We've still got time for several more scandals-of-the-hour. In the midst of all of this, there has been other news from the White House (like Trump's scandalous new education budget, for instance) that don't even rise to the level of being noticed, what with all the other explosions happening.

Whew! Anyone getting tired of Trump "winning" yet?

The best news in all of that is, obviously, the appointment of Robert Mueller as special counsel. He's respected, he's fairly non-partisan, and he has the background to launch such an investigation. He will not get caught up in the day-to-day political maelstrom, instead he will patiently put together all the pieces that need connecting. This is going to take a very long time.

In 1994, President Bill Clinton directed Attorney General Janet Reno to name Robert Fiske as a special prosecutor to look into the failed Whitewater real estate deal. In August, Fiske was replaced by Ken Starr, who was named by a three-judge panel (to avoid any conflict of interest, since Fiske had been named by part of the Clinton administration) to continue the Whitewater investigation. Starr didn't issue the Starr Report until September of 1998. In the intervening years, the investigation wandered all over the political map and eventually wound up uncovering the Monica Lewinsky affair.

Two conclusions should be drawn, here at the dawn of Trump's special counsel investigation. The first is that these things take a long time. Part of the independence of a special counsel is that there is no deadline for their work. They can be as thorough as they like. Democrats are now salivating over the prospect that the Mueller investigation might help them in the midterm elections in 2018, but they may have to wait until the 2020 election before any political fallout appears.

The second point worth making now is that independent investigations of this nature can look into just about anything. How does Monica Lewinsky's relationship with Bill Clinton relate to a failed Arkansas land deal? Nobody knows. It didn't have to. That's the point worth making. Trump can proclaim "there was no collusion" until he's blue in the face, but that doesn't mean that's all that Mueller will be looking into -- not by a long shot.

What this may mean is that each and every scandal-of-the-hour (or, if things slow down back to Trump's baseline, scandal-of-the-week) will merely be added to the growing list of such scandals worth investigating. Each and every one of them may stretch the investigation that much further, in fact.

Robert Mueller has a very obvious place to start his sleuthing -- subpoena Donald Trump's full tax returns for the past decade or so. Put them under a microscope, to see what ties there were between Trump's business empire and Russia that existed before he even became a politician. Then trace how any financial links morphed after he threw his hat into the ring for president, and then after he took office. That might be a gold mine of hard data which could lead in all sorts of directions.

The other two obvious targets for investigation are the hiring and firing of Michael Flynn and the firing of James Comey. Flynn, in particular, seems to be an unending source of shocking revelations. Trump knew Flynn was being investigated and went ahead and hired him anyway -- for one of the most sensitive positions in the American government. Flynn changed American military plans because a foreign power paid him to look our for their interests, not America's. Turkey is an ally, not an enemy, so this may not have actually been treasonous, but it certainly bears a thorough investigation.

Donald Trump is about to discover what "circling the wagons" mode is like for a White House. If he thinks he's such a victim now, just wait until Mueller begins to make solid progress digging into this mess. Trump has the power to fire Mueller at any time, so we're going to see whether Trump learned the lesson of how badly the Comey firing went over or not.

Trump, of course, is his own worst enemy. Had he not given an interview to Lester Holt last Thursday, he may have even been able to weather the storm over Comey's firing without winding up with a special counsel. It was Trump himself who admitted Russia was what was on his mind when he decided to fire Comey. As with the problems Trump's Muslim ban is having in the courts, it is Trump's own words which are the most damning to use against him.

The pace of Scandalpalooza is getting more and more exhausting to follow, that's for sure. Perhaps Trump being out of the country for over a week will slow things down a bit. But no matter what pace the scandal factory in the White House operates at, there will now be one man in the background tirelessly digging to uncover the truth, starting with the earliest scandals and working his way forward. Democrats who now expect some sort of sprint to impeachment are doubtlessly going to be disappointed at Mueller's pace. Mueller is about to run a marathon, not a sprint.

Politically, this should be the ideal result for Democrats, though -- whether they realize it or not. If Trump is removed quickly (say, he steps down over the summer), then we'd have over three years of President Mike Pence. If that doesn't scare Democrats, it should. Pence could actually get an extreme conservative agenda signed into law, and he certainly wouldn't be tweeting idiotically in the wee hours of the morning while doing so. Pence might have the biggest thing Trump lacks -- competence. And his political views are so far to the right, the Republican Congress would likely go right along with him. The best argument against ever impeaching George W. Bush was always "President Dick Cheney," and "President Mike Pence" should likewise instill some caution among Democrats currently braying for Trump's head on a stick.

At this point, a wounded Trump flailing around but not getting anything done would be preferable in a lot of ways. If Congress grinds to a halt (even more so than usual) while the investigations play out, that means Trump's agenda does not get enacted. Even if Trump is forced out in one way or another, it will likely be as a direct result of the numerous other investigations that are already underway (the F.B.I. investigation and multiple House and Senate committee investigations).

Then again, you never know. The Starr Report led to only the second impeachment of sitting president ever, but neither one of these resulted in a conviction in the Senate. If a Mueller Report is ever issued, the political outcome will depend on what it uncovers. So far, the Trump administration seems more than willing to get caught up in scandal after scandal, so there certainly are a lot of things Mueller will have to look into. It's a target-rich environment, as the military says. Nobody could have predicted where Whitewater ultimately led, after all. Here at the start of the Mueller investigation, it is impossible to say what it will wind up uncovering. Especially given the accelerating pace of Trump's ongoing Scandalpalooza.

[You'll have to excuse me now, as I've got to go see what breaking scandals I've been missing while taking the time to write this article....]

-- Chris Weigant

 

Follow Chris on Twitter: @ChrisWeigant

 

129 Comments on “Scandalpalooza!”

  1. [1] 
    Paula wrote:

    My prediction? DT will implode before Mueller is anywhere near done. Everything about 45 moves a lightening speed. This ain't gonna take 3-4 years.

    Meanwhile, Pence isn't a shoe-in -- he's tainted already and there's more coming. And even if he does limp into the job, he isn't popular with the deplorables. He's popular with the religious fanatics. (On Breitbart some of the nuts are sure Pence is part of a GOP Establishment conspiracy to get control.) If you remove DT from the equation you go back to the Repub primary where each faction had a choice or two, but NONE of them could get a majority.

    Furthermore, GOP goals are not popular, especially regarding healthcare and social security. Remove Trump and the GOP's agenda is front and center and Dems aren't going to offer cover.

    Pence is poison for sure, and more competent than the 3-ring circus currently in charge. But is he a generator of republican enthusiasm? Doubtful.

    Results won't be instant, but they'll solidify before 2020.

  2. [2] 
    Paula wrote:

    Another reason DT will implode faster than the average bear? Because he throws other people under the bus. He's already having trouble filling jobs because no one of integrity, or even just with a decent sense of self-preservation, will go near him. His staff functions as his punching bag and they've been leaking since Day 1. And the closer investigators and journalists come to the various unsavory facts he doesn't want discovered the more unhinged he's going to get and the more he'll abuse his staff. That simply can't go on for 4 years.

  3. [3] 
    ListenWhenYouHear wrote:

    “I believe it hurts our country terribly because it shows we’re a divided, mixed-up, not-unified country,” Trump said in his first public remarks about the appointment of former FBI Director Robert Mueller to probe the Russian controversy. “And we have very important things to be doing right now, whether it’s trade deals, whether it’s military, whether it’s stopping nuclear ? all of the things that we discussed today. And I think this shows a very divided country.

    “It also happens to be a pure excuse for the Democrats having lost an election that they should have easily won because of the Electoral College being slanted so much in their way. That’s all this is,” he added.

    It hurts our country terribly because it shows that our President has done enough questionable things and offered multiple versions of events that have been shown to be untrue that it warrants an investigation by a special prosecutor.

    I mean, how can our country deal with having the truth being found out at this time when our stopping NUCLEAR is so close to happening! WTF?!!? STOPPING NUCLEAR?

    Wouldn't a "pure excuse" be an excuse that is clearly legit? Maybe he meant "poor excuse", but blaming the Democrats for causing the investigation seems odd seeing how AG Jeff Sessions' is the one who runs the DOJ!

    And if anyone can explain how the Electoral College was slanted in favor of the Dems (if that was what Trump meant by "slanted so much in their way"), I'd love to hear it.

  4. [4] 
    Paula wrote:
  5. [5] 
    Balthasar wrote:

    if anyone can explain how the Electoral College was slanted in favor of the Dems (if that was what Trump meant by "slanted so much in their way"), I'd love to hear it.

    Unfortunately, I can. It's called the Blue Wall. It's your familiar 'blue states' map (Northeast, West coast, upper midwest) that collectively have 242 electoral votes, out of 270 needed to win.

    Trump probably knows the concept because he was able to break through the Blue Wall by winning Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan, all of which had Republican governors and substantial rural populations that some observers attribute to his success.

  6. [6] 
    Kick wrote:

    Paula
    4

    Great article, Paula. FBI Director Comey tried to blend in with the blue curtains in order to avoid being noticed! Poor Donald doesn't quite understand the whole separation of powers/checks and balances aspect of our government, but just you wait, Paula, any day now Pathological Plumpie is going to become so presidential because he has "a really big brain" and "the best words." *LOL*... Not gonna happen.

    That Moronic Half-Witted Whiny Little Bitch is exactly who he is. Poor Donald. How do we know without doubt that Trump is infinitely stupid? Regardless of whether or not one agreed with Comey's actions during the 2016 presidential campaign, the way Trump treated Director Comey and admitted he thought everyone would welcome his firing of the guy leading the investigation of him shows Trump's utter lack of anything resembling a clue.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1-ghAdwGRY

    And the White House fiasco and continued pattern of lie after lie after lie? Maybe that shit show is enough to fool the minions and uneducated rubes, but this is the biggest group of stupid that I've ever seen occupying 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. :)

  7. [7] 
    michale wrote:

    Hot Lips,

    My prediction? DT will implode before Mueller is anywhere near done. Everything about 45 moves a lightening speed. This ain't gonna take 3-4 years.

    Another TRUMP IS TOAST prediction. I've lost count on them...

    Ya'all would think you would want to STOP looking so completely and utterly STOOPID by all these TRUMP IS TOAST predictions.. :D

  8. [8] 
    michale wrote:

    Especially given the accelerating pace of Trump's ongoing Scandalpalooza.

    Actually, having Mueller appointed is the BEST thing that could have happened to President Trump...

    :D

  9. [9] 
    michale wrote:

    And if anyone can explain how the Electoral College was slanted in favor of the Dems (if that was what Trump meant by "slanted so much in their way"), I'd love to hear it.

    I could, but Balthy (of ALL people) explained it perfectly...

    Dumbocrats had EVERY advantage going into this election..

    The oft touted BIG BLUE WALL...

    A candidate that was the most well-funded and meanest candidate in the history of the universe...

    And a GOP candidate who has nearly the worst, if not THE worst, popularity records in the history of the universe..

    And the DumbocRats **STILL** lost... Not only lost the POTUS-ency, but lost ALL ACROSS THE BOARD...

    I tell ya, how ya'all can even hold yer heads up is beyond me!! :D

  10. [10] 
    michale wrote:

    Joe Biden chimes in on comment #9

    "I never thought Hillary Clinton was a great candidate"

    :D

  11. [11] 
    neilm wrote:

    Actually, having Mueller appointed is the BEST thing that could have happened to President Trump...

    It depends. If Mueller only focuses on the red herring "collusion with Russia" aspect of the investigation, then I agree. There will probably be some puffs of smoke, but no fire.

    However if Mueller starts digging in to funding for real estate deals and we hear the term "money laundering" repeatedly then 45 might cut a deal to resign and be pardoned by Pence.

  12. [12] 
    neilm wrote:

    Interesting, if raw, book about big data claims that racism is alive and well in the U.S., that our proclivities and insecurities are even weirder than you'd think, and that Freud is a fraud as most of us thought:

    Everybody Lies by Seth Stephens-Davidowitz

    Well worth a read.

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AFXZ2F4/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

  13. [13] 
    michale wrote:

    Actually, having Mueller appointed is the BEST thing that could have happened to President Trump...

    Mueller, a loyal Republican, will be able to re-open the NOT-45 Email scandal, find out why Obama ordered surveillance on Trump and his campaign and why Susan Rice ordered the unmasking of Americans in fragrant violation of the law... :D

    Ya'all are rejoicing about a Special Prosecutor but, in the throes of ya'all's PTDS, ya'all don't realize how bad it's going to be for Democrats when all THEIR secrets are exposed..

    Because, as CW has said, the SP can GO ANYWHERE... INVESTIGATE ANYTHING..

    So, here we have a LOYAL and DEVOTED Republican with a blank check and carte blanche to go ANYWHERE and investigate ANYONE...

    I wonder how ya'all are going to feel about the SP when NOT-45 or Obama is subpoenaed?? :D

    Do ya'all HONESTLY think that a loyal and devoted Republican is going to concentrate SOLELY on his President?? :D

    If ya'all honestly believe that, I have some swampland down here in FL I would dearly love to sell ya'all.. :D

    And, again as CW pointed out, ALL of this Demcorat malfeasance is going to come out right before the 2018 mid-terms..

    Democrats will be lucky if they can get elected dog-catcher!! :D

    If ya'all could get past ya'all's PTDS, ya'all SHOULD be very VERY scared about what Director Mueller(R) will uncover about Democrats.. :D

    I can picture Director Mueller's first meeting with President Trump..

    "Don't worry, Mr President.. Yer in the clear. Now, with this blank check I have, let's see what we can dig up on the Democrats, shall we?!?"

    :D

    And the Democrats, and ya'all incidentally, will *HAVE* to accept EVERYTHING that Director Mueller comes up with because they (and ya'all) have gone on record as touting the integrity and honesty of Director Mueller...

    It's going to be a fun time for Michale... :D

  14. [14] 
    michale wrote:

    It depends. If Mueller only focuses on the red herring "collusion with Russia" aspect of the investigation, then I agree. There will probably be some puffs of smoke, but no fire.

    I am glad you have finally come around to saying what I have been saying since the election..

    Russian collusion is a nothing burger with an extra helping of hysterical sauce..

    However if Mueller starts digging in to funding for real estate deals and we hear the term "money laundering" repeatedly then 45 might cut a deal to resign and be pardoned by Pence.

    See comment #13... :D

    Weren't you one of the ones who thought that President Pence is so much worse for Dems than President Trump??

  15. [15] 
    michale wrote:

    After Mueller, Trump Critics Worry: Maybe There’s No Scandal

    Since the summer before the election, Trump’s critics have been suggesting or sometimes stating outright that Russia is involved with a criminal conspiracy that reaches to the highest levels of Trump’s inner circle. But now that an unimpeachable bulldog prosecutor has been named to probe these very allegations, the critics seem to be trying to move the goalposts, saying that the real problem isn’t criminality, but the sleaze and outlandish behavior of the Trump campaign more generally—behavior that was already obvious to voters when they went to the polls in 2016, and will be even more obvious when they go to the polls in 2018.
    https://www.the-american-interest.com/2017/05/18/after-mueller-trump-critics-worry-maybe-theres-no-scandal/

    Looks like yer ahead of the curve, Neil... :D

    I said that the Democrats hysteria surrounding non-existent Russian collusion will come back around and bite the Dims on the ass sooner or later..

    Looks like it's sooner rather than later and sooner is knocking at the door... :D

  16. [16] 
    michale wrote:

    But the Trump-Russia hounds now seem to be realizing the limits of the scandal they have been pursuing—yes, maybe someone like Manafort will go down for money-laundering, and yes, Trump had shady deals with Russian banks as a real estate tycoon in the 1990s. But this is simply not as big of a scandal as they would like it to be.

    Mueller seems well-equipped to do what the country sorely needs right now: Determine if there was criminal collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia, and hold any wrongdoers accountable.

    Mueller is not, however, equipped to do what Trump’s most relentless critics seem to want: Launch a wide-ranging and essentially political investigation into Donald Trump and his associates with the aim not of bringing the matter to a resolution, but of creating a steady stream of media frenzies that paralyzes an administration they loathe.

    Poor Democrats...

    President Trump is giving them practically everything they want and it's going to cause their downfall..

    Trump is playing 12-D chess and the Dims are busy responding with Tiddly Winks... :D

  17. [17] 
    TheStig wrote:

    Paula-1

    Pence is the new Agnew. History is rhyming again.

    Comment 2. You are 2 for 2

  18. [18] 
    neilm wrote:

    Weren't you one of the ones who thought that President Pence is so much worse for Dems than President Trump??

    Yes. He is also sane, but functional, unlike 45.

  19. [19] 
    neilm wrote:

    "Don't worry, Mr President.. Yer in the clear. Now, with this blank check I have, let's see what we can dig up on the Democrats, shall we?!?"

    This is why nobody trusts the police. Even an ex lawman admits that behind closed doors they are completely dishonest and ignore their duty to fulfill their own agenda and cover their buddy's asses.

  20. [20] 
    neilm wrote:

    [18] sane -> insane

  21. [21] 
    michale wrote:

    Yes. He is also sane, but functional, unlike 45.

    Which is an opinion NOT in keeping with the facts..

    This is why nobody trusts the police. Even an ex lawman admits that behind closed doors they are completely dishonest and ignore their duty to fulfill their own agenda and cover their buddy's asses.

    You and your Democrats WANTED this.. Now yer gonna be all pissy because the lawman isn't dishonest in YA'ALL'S favor?? :D

  22. [22] 
    michale wrote:

    Don't ask for a Special Prosecutor unless yer willing to accept ALL the consequences of that action...

    If Democrats hadn't hysterically pursued this huge NOTHING burger that is Trump/Russia collusion, ya'all wouldn't be looking at having all of the Dem secrets exposed...

  23. [23] 
    michale wrote:

    Neil

    Since I have caught you in a rational mood, let me ask you this..

    Can you see the possibilities on how this could backfire on the Democrats??

    The Democrats are putting ALL their eggs in the Mueller basket...

    Can you acknowledge how it could go really REALLY bad for the Democrats??

  24. [24] 
    Balthasar wrote:

    M [22]: That statement is so bubblicious that I had to go back several posts just to find out what you were writing about.

    Do you think Mueller is going after Dems?

    Poor fella. Someone's been telling you stories.

    n-n-n-n-no. Mueller's investigating Trump and his team of misfit nested dolls. Flynn's already willing to trade limited immunity for spilling his guts to prosecutors, so don't expect it to veer away any time soon.

    "You had me at emoluments.."

  25. [25] 
    michale wrote:

    n-n-n-n-no. Mueller's investigating Trump and his team of misfit nested dolls. Flynn's already willing to trade limited immunity for spilling his guts to prosecutors, so don't expect it to veer away any time soon.

    You didn't read CW's current commentary, did you??

    Do you think Mueller is going after Dems?

    Did you think that Starr was going after Bubba's blowjobs???

    He wasn't, but he DID get there...

    Mueller, a loyal Republican, can go ANYWHERE and investigate ANYTHING...

    That's the fact that you simply refuse to acknowledge..

    This could boomerang SOOO bad on the Dims and, considering all the furious back-pedaling that the Dims are doing on impeachment and the Russia/Trump connection, it's more than likely that this WILL boomerang on the Dims...

    You ask me if I think that Mueller is going after the Dims...

    I ask you why Mueller, a loyal and devout Republican **WOULDN'T** go after the Dims??

    Poor fella, you just don't get how badly the Dims could be scrooed by this..

    And RIGHT before the 2018 mid-terms which, all things being equal, is going to be a Dim massacre anyways...

  26. [26] 
    TheStig wrote:

    Trump is jetting to the Middle East. Under normal circumstances, this would be expected to benefit a newbie prez, but it doesn't matter where Trump travels. He leaves a thick spoor of Krazy Koroporate Korruption wherever goes, or stays. He can't help himself, it's in his past, it's in his nature and I can't see how it won't be in his future. Anybody meeting his standards of loyalty is obstructing justice, and they know it.

    Republicans asses are in a crack, and they know it. There is no quick way out other than a Trump resignation, and that doesn't seem likely just yet.

    Impeachment is a long, drawn out process which suits the Democrats just fine.

    A 25th Amendment coup has it's charms, but it would require Democrats to go along in order to get 2/3 majorities in House and Senate. What kind of deal can the Republicans make to entice Democrats to go along with 3 or 4 years Pence? I can't think of one, and any deal making is risky because it's going to bump up awfully to obstruction or the appearance of same. Agnew-ing Pence? Maybe in theory, but who plays Ford?...and Republicans will remember that Ford couldn't get himself elected.

    In the immortal words of Kent Brockman:......

    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjh5PKfkPzTAhVmllQKHWaJDEAQ3ywIJzAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DkWdfRRtAs3o&usg=AFQjCNHfo1yyWyJdcJ75WOQVX0ftlBKg6w

  27. [27] 
    michale wrote:

    Ya know, I am getting tired of racking up all these points.. :D

    "No, not really... I can't back that up.."
    -Dr Evil

    :D

  28. [28] 
    Balthasar wrote:

    I ask you why Mueller, a loyal and devout Republican **WOULDN'T** go after the Dims?

    Let me explain this: not every Republican is a slavishly loyal, hypocritical drooling Trump fan boy.

    Mueller in particular served in the administrations of both Democratic and GOP presidents. He has a reputation for being a straight shooter, and for pursuing a case to its conclusion. This is why, although he was hand-picked by a Republican stooge, Democrats are pretty comfortable with him.

    You're fantasizing. Did you start off your day with a big bowl of mushrooms?

  29. [29] 
    michale wrote:

    Let me put it this way..

    Anyone who CANNOT acknowledge how badly this can backfire on the Democrats is nothing more than a Party zealot who doesn't have more than two brain cells to rub together and is simply a mindless Party drone...

    Who wants to step up and be counted?? :D

  30. [30] 
    Balthasar wrote:

    Have another bowl of mushrooms, Michale. They're good for you.

  31. [31] 
    michale wrote:

    Let me explain this: not every Republican is a slavishly loyal, hypocritical drooling Trump fan boy.

    Not according to ya'all...

    Mueller in particular served in the administrations of both Democratic and GOP presidents. He has a reputation for being a straight shooter, and for pursuing a case to its conclusion. This is why, although he was hand-picked by a Republican stooge, Democrats are pretty comfortable with him.

    OK, OK...

    So, do you want to go on record as stating that you will accept *ANYTHING* Director Mueller finds?

    ANYTHING at all...

    Do you want to step up??? :D

    Mueller in particular served in the administrations of both Democratic and GOP presidents. He has a reputation for being a straight shooter, and for pursuing a case to its conclusion.

    Ya'all said the EXACT same thing about Director Comey...

    Right up to the point that he totally trashed NOT-45....

    So, why should you be believed now???

    Because this time you really REALLY mean it???

    OK, fine... Just state for the record that you will accept ANYTHING Director Mueller finds...

    *ANYTHING*

  32. [32] 
    michale wrote:

    Have another bowl of mushrooms, Michale. They're good for you.

    "What'sa matter, McFly... Got no scrot!!?"

    :D

  33. [33] 
    neilm wrote:

    The Democrats are putting ALL their eggs in the Mueller basket

    Michale, how many Benghazi hearings were there?

    My point is that the Democrats can't start investigations yet, but there is a chance in 2018 that they will get control of one of the houses. In the interim their best tactic was to convince the public to pressure the Republicans and the DoJ that a special counsel was needed.

    This is just step 1 in the process of turning over rocks in 45's past to see what crawls out. I expect that the number of investigations into 45, his family, his businesses, his crooked friends (like Flynn) will match or exceed the number of email and Benghazi hearings.

    The Democrats are amazed they got this retaliation for Benghazi going only 4 months and into the term. Do you really think they are going to stop here?

  34. [34] 
    nypoet22 wrote:

    @michale,

    it's fully possible that this goes the way of iran-contra; a few sacrificial lambs prosecuted, a few more pardoned, and a president with his legacy fully intact. that's enough on which you can reasonably pin your hopes.

    however, a prosecution of the obama administration on allegations for which there is no factual or legal foundation whatsoever? with all my quatloos on the table, that simply won't happen.

    JL

  35. [35] 
    neilm wrote:

    So, do you want to go on record as stating that you will accept *ANYTHING* Director Mueller finds?

    Yup. And then they will grill Mueller about any loose end (e.g. the property deal in Florida where a Russian bought a house over market price then demolished it). Sounds a bit like Whitewater, n'est pas?

    Do you think only Republicans can manufacture scandals like Benghazi and emailgate when there is nothing there? 45 is going to be dealing with multiple lawsuits for as long as he is in the White House. There is a lot of payback due.

  36. [36] 
    michale wrote:

    Do you think only Republicans can manufacture scandals like Benghazi and emailgate when there is nothing there?

    So, you are saying that the Democrats can manufacture scandals too..

    We already know that..

    The only question is will you hysterically complain the DEMOCRAT manufactured scandals?? :D

  37. [37] 
    neilm wrote:

    Also, if there is anything real (unlike Benghazi or emailgate) and some small fry start cutting deals to throw the next level up under the bus in return for immunity are you sure that after decades of doing deals all around the World with some very shady people that your boy and all his family are completely clean?

    As I said, don't come not out a deal for a resignation for a pardon.

  38. [38] 
    michale wrote:

    however, a prosecution of the obama administration on allegations for which there is no factual or legal foundation whatsoever? with all my quatloos on the table, that simply won't happen.

    That's not what I asked..

    I asked if there is anyone here who will acknowledge the possibility that this could go very VERY bad for Democrats...

    I further asked if anyone is ready to go on the record as accepting ANYTHING that Director Mueller(R) finds...

    Simple unequivocal statements preferred...

  39. [39] 
    michale wrote:

    As I said, don't come not out a deal for a resignation for a pardon.

    ???????

  40. [40] 
    neilm wrote:

    The only question is will you hysterically complain the DEMOCRAT manufactured scandals?? :D

    Personally I'll laugh my ass off. 45 is a big snowflake so he is going to cry even more. I loved the Coast a Guard speech - it is always nice to see a bully get a punch in the gut and start crying.

    Do you expect 45 is going to toughen up?

  41. [41] 
    neilm wrote:

    come not

    On a plane so typically no on my iPad. Should read "count out".

  42. [42] 
    neilm wrote:

    Typing out

  43. [43] 
    nypoet22 wrote:

    I asked if there is anyone here who will acknowledge the possibility that this could go very VERY bad for Democrats...

    I further asked if anyone is ready to go on the record as accepting ANYTHING that Director Mueller(R) finds...

    on the latter count, unequivocal yes.

    on the first probably not, since nothing mueller finds will make it much worse for dems than it is already.

    JL

  44. [44] 
    michale wrote:

    Anthony Weiner to Plead Guilty to Resolve Sexting Inquiry
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/nyregion/anthony-weiner-guilty-plea-sexting.html?_r=0

    Democrats... :eyeroll:

  45. [45] 
    michale wrote:

    on the first probably not, since nothing mueller finds will make it much worse for dems than it is already.

    heh Good point.. :D

    I disagree but it's a good point nonetheless..

    on the latter count, unequivocal yes.

    Not surprised in the least....

  46. [46] 
    michale wrote:

    come not

    On a plane so typically no on my iPad. Should read "count out".

    Oh... Wasn't trying to be a smart ass, I was truly cornfused.. :D

  47. [47] 
    neilm wrote:

    I know. Sorry in advance for further typos.

  48. [48] 
    michale wrote:

    Destroying Donald Trump is all that matters in the newsrooms of the mainstream media
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/may/18/destroying-donald-trump-all-that-matters-to-some/

    That's what it's all about...

  49. [49] 
    nypoet22 wrote:

    @michale,

    That's not what I asked..

    yes, it is. and i quote:

    Mueller, a loyal Republican, will be able to re-open the NOT-45 Email scandal, find out why Obama ordered surveillance on Trump and his campaign and why Susan Rice ordered the unmasking of Americans in ***fragrant[SIC]***(emphasis mine) violation of the law... :D

    i'm guessing that was a type-o. nonetheless, in almost all possible scenarios, the obama admin will come out of this smelling pretty good. :p

    JL

  50. [50] 
    neilm wrote:

    Destroying Donald Trump is all that matters in the newsrooms of the mainstream media

    Again, after Emailgate and Benghazi did you expect anything else. If you're lucky your boy will be clean, but are you really sure that after a life in the favorite industry for money laundering there will be nothing dug up?

  51. [51] 
    michale wrote:

    Again, after Emailgate and Benghazi did you expect anything else.

    After the Dems sided with Al Qaeda and against this country...

    No.. I didn't really expect anything else..

    If you're lucky your boy will be clean, but are you really sure that after a life in the favorite industry for money laundering there will be nothing dug up?

    I am sure that when things are looked at in their proper context, there will be nothing there...

    We already agree that the Trump/Russia connection is total BS...

    I am sure that anything else will be equally nothing...

    But hay, if I am wrong, we have President Pence and I get the last laugh.. :D

  52. [52] 
    michale wrote:

    i'm guessing that was a type-o. nonetheless, in almost all possible scenarios, the obama admin will come out of this smelling pretty good. :p

    It wasn't a typo and I was referring to the "fragrance" of crooked dealings by Obama et al that will come out once Mueller starts his work.. :D

    I can't wait for the first Obama subpoena.. :D

    As I said, I agree with you that things are really really bad for the Democrats..

    I disagree that they can't get any worse..

    Who knew that we would be talking about Bubba's blow jobs when the SP began his WhiteWater investigations..

    I am sure Director Mueller will leave no stone unturned in discovering ALL malfeasance, regardless of which Party committed it..

    He IS a loyal Republican... :D

  53. [53] 
    neilm wrote:

    But hay, if I am wrong, we have President Pence and I get the last laugh.. :D

    Odd, I don't remember you being excited by Pence. You railed against the Pence clones in the primaries and backed 45 because he was "different".

    I think you are scared your boy's days are numbered and are immunizing yourself against the gleeful gloating that I for one will be pouring on if we get rid of the worst President in the history of these United States.

  54. [54] 
    neilm wrote:

    I can't wait for the first Obama subpoena.. :D

    Do I out really think that an investigation into 45 will involve one second of study not Obama? Are you this desperate?

    Look, 45 has pissed off the media (putting them in pens then leading the fanboys in bile spitting during the election was never a good way to get them on your side, and if they aren't with you, they're agin you), he has pissed off the FBI by humiliating their leader, and he has pissed off the majority of the electorate.

    Why do you think all these groups are suddenly going to agree to going after yesterday's news when they can stick it to the bully?

  55. [55] 
    neilm wrote:

    Do I out -> Do you

  56. [56] 
    Paula wrote:

    Note: Sgt. Schultz has no compunction about asserting Mueller will simply take his assignment as an opportunity to skip investigating 45 and turn it into an anti-Democrat investigation.

    He supports this with the phrase: "Mueller, a loyal Republican…"

    Because Schultzie assumes all Republicans will cheat when given the opportunity.

    Schultzie thinks its just wonderful too! He celebrates the idea that Democrats are putting their trust in Mueller when they'll just be double-crossed!

    In the immortal words from Animal House: "You fucked up. You trusted us!"

    Thanks for confirming one of my central tenets re: the GOP Schultzie!

  57. [57] 
    Paula wrote:

    {26] TheStig:

    He leaves a thick spoor of Krazy Koroporate Korruption wherever goes, or stays. He can't help himself, it's in his past, it's in his nature and I can't see how it won't be in his future. Anybody meeting his standards of loyalty is obstructing justice, and they know it.

    Yep.

  58. [58] 
    michale wrote:

    Odd, I don't remember you being excited by Pence. You railed against the Pence clones in the primaries and backed 45 because he was "different".

    He's not my first choice, obviously...

    But he's better than ANYTHING the Dems have, by a LONG shot..

    I think you are scared your boy's days are numbered and are immunizing yourself against the gleeful gloating that I for one will be pouring on if we get rid of the worst President in the history of these United States.

    Scared???

    Hardly... I'll be disappointed to be sure...

    But, above all else, I am a realist, a pragmatist..

    If that's the way it goes down, don't expect to see my crying and whining and carrying on and on..

    What do you think I am!? A Democrat!!?? :D

    Do I out really think that an investigation into 45 will involve one second of study not Obama? Are you this desperate?

    Yes I do and no.. As I said, I am a realist..

    We know from the past that SP investigations tend to go in many surprising directions..

    We also know that Director is a loyal and devout Republican and if there is even a WHIFF of Obama, you just HAVE to know that Mueller will follow it...

    Denying this is what smacks of desperation..

    Look, 45 has pissed off the media

    BFD...

    (putting them in pens then leading the fanboys in bile spitting during the election was never a good way to get them on your side, and if they aren't with you, they're agin you)

    They got, and are still getting, what they deserve...

    Why do you think all these groups are suddenly going to agree to going after yesterday's news when they can stick it to the bully?

    And yet, Trump's support is STILL strong amongst patriotic Americans..

    Put another way...

    If you had a bunch of terrorists, scumbags and criminals telling you how bad Odumbo is...

    Would you care???

  59. [59] 
    neilm wrote:

    And yet, Trump's support is STILL strong amongst patriotic Americans..

    Patriotic Americans have always been against 45, that is well known. His supporters hate Americans and everything America stands for and celebrate the thinking of 45's mentor, Bannon, who openly states he wants to destroy America.

  60. [60] 
    Paula wrote:

    [59] neilm: Yep.

  61. [61] 
    michale wrote:

    Patriotic Americans have always been against 45, that is well known. His supporters hate Americans and everything America stands for and celebrate the thinking of 45's mentor, Bannon, who openly states he wants to destroy America.

    There is simply no logical or rational response to such complete and utter delusion.. :D

    So I won't even bother trying.. :D

  62. [62] 
    neilm wrote:

    There is simply no logical or rational response to such complete and utter delusion.. :D

    So I won't even bother trying.. :D

    That was the point. Stop telling us that you can only be patriotic if you support 45.

  63. [63] 
    Paula wrote:

    The Washington Post article with the transcript of Ryan, McCarthy etc. has more in it than just the question of whether McCarthy was "joking" about Putin paying 45.

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/house-majority-leader-to-colleagues-in-2016-i-think-putin-pays-trump/2017/05/17/515f6f8a-3aff-11e7-8854-21f359183e8c_story.html?utm_term=.4c3e23a12ad4

    Before the conversation, McCarthy and Ryan had emerged from separate talks at the Capitol with Ukrainian Prime Minister Vladi­mir Groysman, who had described a Kremlin tactic of financing populist politicians to undercut Eastern European democratic institutions.

    News had just broken the day before in The Washington Post that Russian government hackers had penetrated the computer network of the Democratic National Committee, prompting McCarthy to shift the conversation from Russian meddling in Europe to events closer to home.

    As you read the whole thing something becomes very clear: Ryan and the rest KNEW the kinds of activities Putin was using to destroy democracies. They knew 45 was employing the same things and suspected he was being paid by Putin. They thought it over. Then they climbed on board.

    They sold out America for the chance to get their tax cuts and to destroy the social safety net and to try to destroy Obama's legacy out of spite. But mostly for money.

    We all know (except for I SEE NOTHING, I KNOW NOTHING, I THINK CHEATING IS GREAT WHEN MY SIDE DOES IT Sgt. Schultz) that 45 is shit. But he is simply the topmost turd on the GOP cesspool.

  64. [64] 
    michale wrote:

    That was the point. Stop telling us that you can only be patriotic if you support 45.

    But it's the fact..

    Because if you support NOT-45, you support totally open borders and making the US simply another cog in a globalist machine, no different than any 3rd world hellhole..

    THAT is what people who support NOT-45 want..

    And THAT is as far from Patriotism as is possible to be..

    So, if you don't want to be unpatriotic, quit supporting someone who will destroy this country...

    Someone who is a THREE TIME LUSER when it comes to Presidential Elections.. :D

  65. [65] 
    michale wrote:

    The Washington Post article with the transcript of Ryan, McCarthy etc. has more in it than just the question of whether McCarthy was "joking" about Putin paying 45.

    Yea.. WaPoop..

    That was the Left Wing rag who said "anonymous sources" had privileged intel on a meeting that they weren't even at and are not even in government anymore..

    Hot Lips, it's not surprising you would believe WaPoop..

    You believe ANYTHING as long as it's anti-Trump.. :D

  66. [66] 
    michale wrote:

    They sold out America for the chance to get their tax cuts and to destroy the social safety net and to try to destroy Obama's legacy out of spite. But mostly for money.

    Yea.. Hot Lips is not hysterical.. Not at all.. :^/

    BWWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

  67. [67] 
    nypoet22 wrote:

    one must wonder whether or not donald genuinely believes what he is saying about the russia scandal being fake or persecution. based on his tweets and his words to lester holt, there's this appearance of sincere, egocentric naivete, like when a child covers his eyes and thinks that means nobody else can see him. the optics this week have been terrible for him politically, no doubt. but it's difficult to imagine that there's any sort of 'mens rhea' - to have a guilty mind, one must have some sense that what one has done is wrong, and that seems conspicuously absent.

    JL

  68. [68] 
    neilm wrote:

    How's the Wall coming along?

  69. [69] 
    neilm wrote:

    NY [67]

    45 has spent his whole life surrounded by yes men and dependents. He has never had to deal with reality. It will be his downfall and, as we saw from the Coast Guard whine-a-thon, he isn't going to enjoy it.

    I expect more tears and pouting from him, but my concern is that his unstable supporters who think only they know what patriotism is will become violent in their defense of this pathetic snowflake (not you Michale, but there are a few of my friends in TX who know some pretty angry and over armed people).

  70. [70] 
    michale wrote:

    JL,

    one must wonder whether or not donald genuinely believes what he is saying about the russia scandal being fake or persecution.

    According to our own Neil, plus reports from Democrats, it's widely acknowledged that the Russia Collusion "scandal" IS nothing, fake and/or persecution..

  71. [71] 
    michale wrote:

    How's the Wall coming along?

    It's coming along fine...

    And if Democrats and other America-haters would get out of the way, it would be going a lot better and a lot faster..

  72. [72] 
    michale wrote:

    I expect more tears and pouting from him, but my concern is that his unstable supporters who think only they know what patriotism is will become violent in their defense of this pathetic snowflake (not you Michale, but there are a few of my friends in TX who know some pretty angry and over armed people).

    If it looks like the Democrats and hysterical Left Wingers like our own Hot Lips are trying to overthrow the legally elected government thru illegal, nefarious or unethical means.....

    You are very well right to be concerned about armed action being taken...

    For example... When Director Mueller exonerates Trump and starts opening up inquiries into the actions of Obama, NOT-45 and other Democrats and Democrats attempt to stop Director Mueller from doing so???

    You can bet that action WILL be taken...

    And the military and the cops are firmly, completely and unequivocally in the President's corner on this...

  73. [73] 
    neilm wrote:

    Let me be clear on Russia, 45, and 45's campaign.

    I think that Putin tried to harm Hillary's chances, and would have done so regardless of her opponent.

    I think that Flynn and potentially other people 45 was stupid enough to let into his inner circle had contact wth Russian agents, especially regarding sanctions and the possibility of then being lifted by 45.

    I think that Flynn and perhaps some others knew that Russia was interfering with social media and wanted to ensure that it was focused on Hillary.

    I think that 45 was oblivious to the above because he isn't very smart.

    I think that there was a lot of meaningless meetings between 45 associates and Russian operatives, such as Sessions' meetings with the Russian ambassador that are completely innocent but in retrospect ill advised. I expect that Hillary's associates also probably had similar encounters, that is just D.C.

    I don't think there will be a smoking gun email from e.g. Flynn to a Russian spy saying "please release emails now, 45 is getting killed over the bus incident".

    This is more about bad optics and some unsound and stupid suggestions from Flynn than anything else.

    However I do believe that this is only the first of many investigations into 45, and that the heat will get too much for him and he will cut a deal exchanging a pardon for the Oval Office that Pence will jump at and that Ryan and McConnell will celebrate.

  74. [74] 
    Balthasar wrote:

    And the military and the cops are firmly, completely and unequivocally in the President's corner on this.

    The last line of defense for any autocrat.

  75. [75] 
    michale wrote:

    The last line of defense for any autocrat.

    Of course, a DEMOCRAT would denigrate cops and the military and see things that way.. :^/

    Regardless of the bigotry, the simple fact is those honorable men and women who serve in the military and as LEOs are firmly behind the President..

    Democrats need to chew on that when they consider illegally forcing President Trump out...

  76. [76] 
    neilm wrote:

    And the military and the cops are firmly, completely and unequivocally in the President's corner on this.

    Then we are about to discover if we are a constitutional democracy or a military dictatorship.

    I understood that patriots were in favor of the constitution and the peaceful transfer of power.

  77. [77] 
    Balthasar wrote:

    those honorable men and women who serve in the military

    have a variety of opinions, and are as unlikely to support an unstable commander as any of us would be.

  78. [78] 
    Paula wrote:

    ONCE AGAIN; Sgt. Schultz's response to Mueller's appointment is to say that Mueller will take advantage of his position to pivot from investigating DT to investigating Obama. And he thinks that's just great.

    Sgt. Schultz's first instinct is to assume, and applaud, the idea that a Republican will automatically cheat to protect his party and damage Democrats.

  79. [79] 
    michale wrote:

    Then we are about to discover if we are a constitutional democracy or a military dictatorship.

    I understood that patriots were in favor of the constitution and the peaceful transfer of power.

    And if Democrats try to transfer power thru illegal, nefarious or unethical means??

    The American people will have their say...

  80. [80] 
    michale wrote:

    have a variety of opinions, and are as unlikely to support an unstable commander as any of us would be.

    And yet, the US Military overwhelmingly supports the President..

  81. [81] 
    michale wrote:

    ONCE AGAIN; Sgt. Schultz's response to Mueller's appointment is to say that Mueller will take advantage of his position to pivot from investigating DT to investigating Obama. And he thinks that's just great.

    And ONCE AGAIN, Hot Lips is complaining because Republicans are acting JUST LIKE Democrats..

    Waaaa Waaaa....

  82. [82] 
    Balthasar wrote:

    Paula [78] He's projecting. You can't really blame him, since he's seen so many establishment Republicans bend over and take one for the team this last year.

    Mueller, however, is an old-school republican, whose sense of duty and honor is now a central part of his resume.

    And, for a former FBI agent, and former prosecutor, this is a particularly target-rich environment.

    Emoluments is an actual term, and violation of that clause of the constitution is an actual crime, which the GOP seems to be ignoring with great vigor.

  83. [83] 
    Balthasar wrote:

    And if Democrats try to transfer power thru illegal, nefarious or unethical means??

    Then everyone would object. We're not like Republicans, much as you'd like us to be.

    So far, everything has been done by the book. It's your side that wants to throw standard operating procedure to the wind and say, 'Conflicts of Interest? Not a problem. Nepotism? Never heard of it.'

  84. [84] 
    Paula wrote:

    [82] Balthasar: I KNOW he's projecting.

    I don't believe his assertion, I'm not concerned that Mueller will pivot.

    My point is that Sgt. Schultz believes it and thinks it's great -- he can't see that making this assertion is actually a terrible statement about the GOP and its members. He can't see how bad it is to assume Mueller would betray his mandate in order to harm Obama/Dems -- how twisted it is to celebrate the very idea.

    I'm commenting on Schultzie's beliefs, not on Mueller's integrity.

  85. [85] 
    michale wrote:

    Hot Lips, you need to face reality...

    NOT-45 is not President..

    NOT-45 will NEVER be President...

    Donald Trump is your President and will likely be your President til 2024...

    This is reality..

    Deal with it...

  86. [86] 
    michale wrote:

    Mueller, however, is an old-school republican, whose sense of duty and honor is now a central part of his resume.

    And ALL of ya'all said the EXACT same thing about Comey..

    Ya'all changed yer tune when Comey did something ya'all didn't like..

    Still, it's nice to get all your gushing on record..

    So, when Mueller DOES exonerate Trump and starts investigating Democrats, I am going to have more fun with ya'all then I did on 10 Nov 2016!! :D

  87. [87] 
    michale wrote:

    Then everyone would object. We're not like Republicans,

    Except for the fact that ya'all are acting JUST LIKE Republicans did under Odumbo..

    So, quit the bullshit that you are not Republicans because ya'all are acting EXACTLY like them...

    This is fact..

  88. [88] 
    Balthasar wrote:

    I should correct that: So far, everything Democrats have done is 'by the book'.

    As for Trump, I've never seen him reading a book.

  89. [89] 
    Kick wrote:

    Paula
    56

    Note: Sgt. Schultz has no compunction about asserting Mueller will simply take his assignment as an opportunity to skip investigating 45 and turn it into an anti-Democrat investigation.

    I know, right? He's also failed in epic fashion to factor in the fact that Director Comey is also a Republican, not of the Trumpian variety, of course, and a great friend of Director "Three Sticks" Mueller. As fate would have it, it turns out that Republicans aren't a monolithic block who just roll over for a chump like Trump; anyone who's watched the saga playing out between the White House and the IC should easily be able to recognize that, and these two men belong to a very exclusive club, even more exclusive than that long list of presidents of the US.

    https://www.fbi.gov/history/directors

    They also share service/appointments by President Obama, Mueller being reappointed by Obama to a special 2-year term and serving under PO from 01/2009 until 09/2013, whereupon Director Comey was then appointed by President Obama. There's a cute picture of the three of them together in the Rose Garden circa June 2013. To be perfectly clear here, I'd say there's a better case that Obama is behind the scenes pulling the strings than the moron who thought it would be a good idea to tweet:

    Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
    Intelligence agencies should never have allowed this fake news to "leak" into the public. One last shot at me. Are we living in Nazi Germany?
    6:48 AM - 11 Jan 2017

    while at the same time repeatedly praising one Vladimir Putin. In case anyone forgot, the IC investigation into that whole mess precedes the election by several months.

    Grand juries are convening and doing their jobs, and indictments being put under seal. The FBI is on the job. You know the FBI? They're not goobers who served their country for a few years and asserting that it somehow bestows upon them the title of "patriot;" they're a group of tens of thousands of men and women around the world who've dedicated decades of their lives in service to their country... the real patriots. Oh, and why so many leaks lately from the IC? They're protecting their country from the biggest threat to democracy they've seen in decades. They're the oath keepers. :)

  90. [90] 
    neilm wrote:

    Emoluments is an actual term, and violation of that clause of the constitution is an actual crime, which the GOP seems to be ignoring with great vigor.

    I don't think we'll get to an investigation into 45's business profits from e.g. the D.C. hotel, but you never know. If Mueller starts down that path 45 is f'd.

  91. [91] 
    Balthasar wrote:

    Except for the fact that ya'all are acting JUST LIKE Republicans did under Odumbo..

    Not so. Republicans refused to back any legislation that came from the White House, regardless of whether they thought it had merit or not.

    Right now, Democrats are ready to sit down and talk with Republicans about a variety of issues, including, but not limited to:

    Infrastructure Rebuilding

    Tax code simplification

    "fixing" healthcare premiums by expanding insurance pools to all 50 states

    allowing border patrol agents and other law enforcement to unionize freely, so that their concerns can be more quickly and forcefully heard.

    Prison and sentencing reform to alleviate overcrowding and mandatory nonsense.

    etc.

  92. [92] 
    LeaningBlue wrote:

    [8]: Actually, having Mueller appointed is the BEST thing that could have happened to President Trump

    It's not certain that will prove true. Here's an extreme contrary state in whict it would likely not be true:

    The stupidest explanation for all of this --at least a conspiracy theory, if not a unified theory of everything-- is the following: Recall the motives and means of the Teapot Dome scandal. This is the same kind of thing, but now being part of a vastly larger looting of Rosneft's sanction-frozen Siberian holdings.

    I know, that's a stupid theory; I'm simply trying to make a point.

  93. [93] 
    Kick wrote:

    Paula

    The Washington Post article with the transcript of Ryan, McCarthy etc. has more in it than just the question of whether McCarthy was "joking" about Putin paying 45.

    There is a tape of the entire meeting. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when Ryan and company found out that someone didn't keep that whole conversation in the GOP "family." :)

  94. [94] 
    michale wrote:

    LB,

    It's not certain that will prove true.

    And it's not certain that it will prove false..

    Considering the track record of the TRUMP is toast predictions (upwards of 4000, ALL false) my money is on Trump.. :D

  95. [95] 
    michale wrote:

    When all is said and done, here is what it all boils down to..

    Ya'all and the Left Wingery have been hysterically predicting Trump's downfall for over a year..

    And ya'all have been ALWAYS wrong.. *ALWAYS*....

    Ya'all's credibility in this area is simply non-existent......

  96. [96] 
    Paula wrote:

    Kick: [89] Yep.

    [93] Yes, and I'd love to know who did the recording. It does not paint a positive picture of the participants.

    [91] Balthasar: Sgt. Schultz is incapable/unwilling to admit that there are qualitative differences between the parties' way of doing business. He will dodge.

    He will eventually repeat his "both sides do it" refrain, followed by some screed that boils down to: "but GOP does it better! We out-cheat the Dems! We out-lie the Dems! We out-obstruct the Dems! We out-traitor the Dems! We pick bigger monsters for our leaders than the Dems! We win because of our advanced prickitude! But Dems are just as bad because both sides do it."

  97. [97] 
    michale wrote:

    Ya'all's credibility in this area is simply non-existent......

    And WHY is ya'all's credibility in the toilet??

    Because you have a history of ignoring the facts and believing ONLY the BS that ya'all WANT to believe...

    This is simply another example of the same pattern ya'all have exhibited for the past year +...

    Ignoring the facts and ignoring reality to believe a fantasy that simply does not exist...

  98. [98] 
    michale wrote:

    Hot Lips,

    re: 96..

    WOW.. I have REALLY gotten under yer skin... :D

  99. [99] 
    Paula wrote:

    The part I cannot forgive Sgt. Schultz for is his embrace of Russian interference. It doesn't matter if that was the deciding feature in DT's electoral college win/popular vote loss or not. It's that Sgt. Schultz doesn't care about it at all.

    DOES NOT CARE that a rival country inserted itself into our election process to try to help his guy.

    Doesn't care. Loves Putin for it, in fact. Loves a goddamned violent dictator because said dictator helped elevate DT, thereby disappointing Democrats and wreaking havoc on our governmental institutions, our citizens, and the world.

    Doesn't care.

    MICHALE debases the word "patriot" by applying it to himself.

  100. [100] 
    Kick wrote:

    The minute the wheels leave the ground on PT's plane, the leaks too will be flying. :)

  101. [101] 
    goode trickle wrote:

    I see somone has a nasty case of TURDS.

    Trump
    Unified
    Reality
    Denial
    Syndrom

  102. [102] 
    Paula wrote:

    [101] Goode: Excellent!

  103. [103] 
    Kick wrote:

    Paula
    99

    DOES NOT CARE that a rival country inserted itself into our election process to try to help his guy.

    And being admittedly dumber than Trump, Sgt. Schultz is blissfully unaware that there is a transcript of Trump's meeting with the Russians in the Oval wherein Trump says:

    “I just fired the head of the FBI. He was crazy, a real nut job.... I faced great pressure because of Russia. That’s taken off.”

    His money is on Trump. Ouch... bad investment. Some of those guys in the White House have been under investigation for months by the IC, you know? :)

  104. [104] 
    neilm wrote:

    I wonder if CW will have anything to talk about in today's FTPs?

  105. [105] 
    ListenWhenYouHear wrote:

    “I just fired the head of the FBI. He was crazy, a real nut job.... I faced great pressure because of Russia. That’s taken off.”

    Who the hell says something like this to foreign diplomats? Trump's so desperate to please his bosses that he'd bash his own FBI chief to try to make himself look good.

    Michale, did he intentionally try to damage the reputation of the FBI with this comment, or is he just so utterly stupid that he didn't realize what he was doing by saying such things? Or to put it more simply: Is he corrupt or just an imbecile?

    Just how great of a businessman is Trump for insulting and pissing off the very people who are investigating him?

    Also saw that the Times is claiming one of Trump's closest advisors is being called an important person of interest in the Russian investigation. Hmmmm, I guess that explains why we only see pictures of Ivanka and Putin's girlfriend in all of the photos from when Ivanka and Jared took time out of campaigning to go on vacation with Putin's lady friend.

    Might also explain why Jared led the push to fire Comey as well.

  106. [106] 
    Paula wrote:

    [105] Listen: the other thing about DT's conversation with the Russians, he calls Comey a crackpot. Comey probably can't wait to testify!

  107. [107] 
    Paula wrote:

    [103] Kick: I love the transcript, but where did it come from? And Spicer didn't deny it was accurate, just tried to spin it. DT has just inspired such love at the WH!

    Meanwhile, here's a nice round-up of yesterday's scandals:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/05/18/the-white-houses-absolutely-brutal-night-in-6-headlines/?utm_term=.598e0c8f099e

  108. [108] 
    Kick wrote:

    Listen
    105

    Is he corrupt or just an imbecile?

    Yes... yes.

    Just how great of a businessman is Trump for insulting and pissing off the very people who are investigating him?

    Compared them to Nazis!?! ;) Then called Director Comey "crazy" and a "nut job" while he refers to Kim Jong-un as a "smart cookie" and has nothing but praise for Vladimir. Vlad wanted a meeting so what was Trump supposed to do... say "no" to Vlad!?!

    Such a great businessman that he doesn't know how to say, "I'll get back with you on that, Vladimir" until he could ask someone with a brain how to handle it? *LOL*

    Also saw that the Times is claiming one of Trump's closest advisors is being called an important person of interest in the Russian investigation.

    So you think it's Jared? Why, yes.... yes, it is!

    Jared?! Jared!!!!! You've got some splainin' to do!

    No worries, though, Fox will spin this to their goobers calling it fake news and tell them that the arrest of Obama for the "wire tapp" is merely minutes away. **ROTFLMAO** They're so effing gullible. :)

  109. [109] 
    Kick wrote:

    neilm
    104

    I wonder if CW will have anything to talk about in today's FTPs?

    LOL

  110. [110] 
    michale wrote:

    It's hilarious...

    I take a Republican and apply YA'ALL'S standards and beliefs ABOUT Republicans to this particular Republican..

    And ya'all do a COMPLETE 180 and say "Oh no, THIS Republican is an honorable Republican!!! THIS Republican has integrity!!! THIS Republican is just and true!!!! THIS Republican will be good and fair and just!!!"

    I have just proven beyond *ANY* doubt how utterly and unequivocally ya'all are enslaved by Party Dogma and ideology...

    If Party agenda demands it, ya'all will drop to your knees and fellate even a Republican if that's what your Party tells ya'all to do.. :D

    Congratulations..

    Ya'all have just been utterly and completely PLAYED by your's truly!!!

    "Don't cross brains with Spock. He will cut you to pieces every time!"
    -Ensign Sulu

    BBWWWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

  111. [111] 
    Balthasar wrote:

    I wonder if CW will have anything to talk about in today's FTPs?

    You've got to feel seriously sorry for anyone trying to boil this last week down into a single column. Someone's gonna need a serious smoke when he's done!

    Come to think of it, I've had a tough day too...

  112. [112] 
    neilm wrote:

    I really can't believe he called Comey a "nut job" and "crazy".

    If this is true he is going to have the FBI working unpaid overtime to take him down. They are also going to go after Sessions and Rosenstein.

    So 45 now has the media, the FBI, and the IC gunning for him.

    Who is going to accept a position in that administration unless you are really desperate, so the quality of the support staff is going to deteriorate as well.

    If I were Pence I'd be phoning everybody I knew in the FBI, CIA, NSA, etc. and asking what I could do to help the investigations - nobody wants to be in that firing line for somebody who would throw you under the bus in an instant.

  113. [113] 
    nypoet22 wrote:

    @neil,

    if i were pence i'd be secretly leaking everything i could, while whispering in the ears of as many congress critters as possible. i mean, does any vice-president really want to stay vice-president?

    JL

  114. [114] 
    neilm wrote:

    I've had a tough week too. Time to celebrate living in California.

  115. [115] 
    Balthasar wrote:

    It's hilarious...I take a Republican and apply YA'ALL'S standards and beliefs ABOUT Republicans to this particular Republican..And ya'all do a COMPLETE 180 and say "Oh no, THIS Republican is an honorable Republican

    Because Mueller IS an honorable man, unlike so many on their way to Europe right now.

    I have Republican friends, and none of them go on like Michale. One, who liked Trump, and was afraid to tell me knowing that I'm a Democrat, was pleasantly surprised when my reaction was, "good for you. At least you're involved." Now he smiles when he sees me, knowing a good conversation is in the offing.

    He's no longer a Trump fan boy either, by the way.
    But he's still a Republican.

    And he pointed out today (or said that David Brooks pointed out today, same difference) that it isn't the Democrats who are bringing down Trump, it's folks IN THE WHITE HOUSE, a.k.a. Trump loyalists, who have done the most damage, followed by Justice Department leaks, and intelligence community leaks.

    In other words traditional GOP constituencies who, because of their closeness to the situation, see just how awful things have become, and have had just enough of Trump's embarrassing behavior.

  116. [116] 
    Kick wrote:

    Former FBI Director Comey will testify publicly before the Senate intelligence committee.

    Get your popcorn ready. :) *LOL*

  117. [117] 
    michale wrote:

    Because Mueller IS an honorable man, unlike so many on their way to Europe right now.

    Yea, that's EXACTLY what ya'all said about Comey...

    THEN Comey said something ya didn't like and then he was trash...

    You'll do the same thing when Director Mueller says something against Democrats..

    Ya'all have absolutely NO CREDIBILITY here...

    You got played... Man up and admit it..

    Point to Michale..

    AGAIN... :D

  118. [118] 
    ListenWhenYouHear wrote:

    Yea, that's EXACTLY what ya'all said about Comey...

    THEN Comey said something ya didn't like and then he was trash...

    I am happy to admit that I considered Comey an honorable man, but even honorable men can screw up! Comey screwed up by elaborating on Clinton's offenses that he determined did not warrant charges. That is not how the FBI typically handles investigations that do not result in prosecution. And his choice to do so days before the election made it all the worse. I questioned whether my initial assessment of Comey was correct, and while I disagree with his handling of the case after it was closed, I still considered him to be honorable.

    You were very open about your support of Comey during Hillary's investigation, yet you've been surprisingly silent about addressing Comey's treatment by Trump. Face it, you just can't admit it when Trump screws up.

  119. [119] 
    nypoet22 wrote:

    @russ,

    michale actually did write he was pissed at trump for firing comey - presumably that means he does think it's a screw-up. he just hasn't repeated it more than once. heaven forbid everyone here agree with him on something, it would totally ruin his street cred as in-house contrarian!

    JL

  120. [120] 
    michale wrote:

    heaven forbid everyone here agree with him on something, it would totally ruin his street cred as in-house contrarian!

    I know, right!?? :D

  121. [121] 
    michale wrote:

    Sure got quiet in here...

    I guess no one liked being exposed as a complete and unequivocal Party tool... :D

  122. [122] 
    michale wrote:

    Russ,

    I am happy to admit that I considered Comey an honorable man, but even honorable men can screw up!

    But that's not my point..

    I endowed Director Mueller with Republican attributes, as espoused by the WPG and envisioned a plausible and realistic scenario based on those attributes..

    Hot Lips, Balthy et al went hysterically ballistic, making Mueller out to be the Patron Saint Of Democrats, even though Mueller is a Republican..

    I simply pointed out their astonishing lack of credibility because they ALSO made Comey out to be the Patron Saint of Democrats, right up to the point that Comey did something that Hot Lips, Balthy et al didn't like...

    It's the lack of credibility on their part that's the point.. Not the honor of Mueller or Comey..

    But, hay.. Since you bring it up... :D

    I questioned whether my initial assessment of Comey was correct, and while I disagree with his handling of the case after it was closed, I still considered him to be honorable.

    Aww right... Aww right...
    -Lane Smith, MY COUSIN VINNY

    OK, so you still consider Comey to be an honorable man..

    This being the case, isn't it POSSIBLE....

    "Is it possible that the two yutes..."
    "Ah, the two what? Uh... uh, what was that word?
    "Uh... what word?"
    "Two what?"
    "What?"
    "Uh... did you say 'yutes'?"
    "Yeah, two yutes."
    "What is a yute?"

    -MY COUSIN VINNY

    :D

    ......Is it possible that Comey (and Joshua, incidentally) are RIGHT in their assessments of the necessity of Comey's actions and YOU are wrong?

    I mean, if you still consider Comey to be honorable and all, then you simply MUST concede that Comey (and JL) COULD be right and you COULD be wrong...

    No??

    Irregardless of all that, my point is, is that the WPG has absolutely NO CREDIBILITY when assessing the honor of ANYONE because they have PROVEN that their assessments are totally, completely and unequivocally based on their Party sla...... zealotry...

    Director Mueller may act just as "honorably" as Director Comey acted and may expose MORE Democrat malfeasance and illegal/unethical activities...

    And, if that happens, then the WPG will turn on Mueller just as they turned on Comey...

    If there is a flaw in my logic, I would be mighty obliged if you would point it out...

    :D

  123. [123] 
    michale wrote:

    It's simply astounding how many arguments and flame wars could be avoided if ya'all could simply concede the FACT that ya'all COULD be wrong about such and such and that I COULD be right...

    I mean, it's not as if it's never happened before, right? :D

    For example, it's entirely possible that this Special Prosecutor could backfire on the Democrats and cause them even greater harm than they have already inflicted upon themselves..

    Mueller could become another Ken Starr and could savage the Democrats with exposure of all the malfeasance and shady deals and illegal/unethical activities that have become common place in politics..

    To deny this possibility is to deny the facts, deny history and deny reality...

  124. [124] 
    michale wrote:

    JL,

    he just hasn't repeated it more than once

    Nobody deigned to follow up on it so I figured it was a mutual understanding that *I* can admit when my chosen ones scroo the pooch...

    Unlike others who shall remain nameless but know who they are...

    Truth be told, I am disappointed in Trump.. While I think the majority of his issues come from without, from Democrat obstructionism and downright hysterical PTDS, I do concede that, in many areas, he has not done himself any favors..

    I remember when I lost faith in Obama after having been VERY excited to vote for him and that he won...

    I am not there with Trump, but I would be lying if I said that I am not disappointed...

  125. [125] 
    Paula wrote:

    Sgt. Schultz would like us to point out the flaw in his logic. Sadly, as there is no logic in his comments his request is an impossibility.

    There remains his striking lack of support for his beloved's actions -- Schultzie knows Bumpy is a fraud and a failure but can't admit it so he types his screeds about everything-but-Bumpy's breathtakingly bad performance as POTUS. Other than a few knee-jerk FOXisms he eschews actual defenses of the, admittedly, indefensible moves made by his daily-more-tarnished hero.

    Well, who can blame him? After all, almost anyone can make a mistake about a politician, amirite? Just because all the signs were there that the pol is a criminal con-man doesn't mean the signs can't be missed. I once bought an avocado that I thought was ripe when it turned out to be hard as a rock inside, so I can understand how someone who prides himself on his political acumen could fail to see Bumpy's hollow core. It's hard to spot his hollow core when you're enjoying Bumpy's mockery of a disabled person and other examples of his sophisticated humor -- Crooked Hillary! Pocahantas! I mean, when you're laughing so hard you can't breathe how can you be expected to notice details?

    Still, I suspect the Russian vacation is off. The very desperation of Schultzie's frenetic attempts at distraction tells its own tale, that of a man engaged in denial of the most virulent kind. But reality has a strange way of breaking through the most impenetrable barriers erected by head-in-sand types.

    Sadly, there are bitter days ahead for Sgt. Schultz.

    [Memo: notify the whaaaambulance to expect a call soon.]

  126. [126] 
    Paula wrote:

    Dear me, while I was composing my comment, Schultzie actually posted these words:

    Truth be told, I am disappointed in Trump.. While I think the majority of his issues come from without, from Democrat obstructionism and downright hysterical PTDS, I do concede that, in many areas, he has not done himself any favors..

    Had I seen that comment I would have not posted [125].

  127. [127] 
    Paula wrote:

    Disillusionment is painful. I will leave it at that for tonight and see what tomorrow brings.

  128. [128] 
    michale wrote:

    Hot Lips,

    Sgt. Schultz would like us to point out the flaw in his logic. Sadly, as there is no logic in his comments his request is an impossibility.

    TRANSLATION: There is no flaw in your logic...

    There remains his striking lack of support for his beloved's actions --

    Considering how YOU felt after NOT-45's devestating loss, do you REALLY want to point fingers and make comments about people's "beloved"s???

    Something about stones and glass houses come to mind..

    Dear me, while I was composing my comment, Schultzie actually posted these words:

    It's nothing I haven't said for the last few days..

    You just ignore it because it completely negates your immature personal-attacks and childish name calling..

    Sadly, there are bitter days ahead for Sgt. Schultz.

    I can assure you, I will be fine.. Despite what you may think, I really don't have much invested in my chosen ones..

    You cannot make the same claim...

    Disillusionment is painful.

    No one knows better than you.. :D

    I will leave it at that for tonight and see what tomorrow brings.

    With me, tomorrow brings what EVERY day brings..

    Consistency..

    In light of your (what I am sure was a) painful concession, I'll leave it at that.. :D

    Ni ni, Hot Lips.. :D

  129. [129] 
    michale wrote:

    Anytime you are ready to act like an adult and quit with the name-calling, I am game..

    You quit calling me a Communist/Nazi and I'll quit with the sexist BS...

    Just let me know...

Leave a Reply

[If you have questions as to how to register or log in, to be able to post comments here, or if you'd like advanced commenting and formatting tips, please visit our "Commenting Tips" page, for further details.]

You must be logged in to post a comment.
If you are a new user, please register so you can post comments here.

[The first time you post a comment (after creating your user name and logging in), it will be held for approval. Please be patient (as it may take awhile). After your first comment has been approved, you will be able to post further comments instantly and automatically.]