ChrisWeigant.com

Don't Let The Terrorists Win

[ Posted Thursday, January 14th, 2021 – 17:00 UTC ]

No House Republican has actually gone on record saying he or she voted against the impeachment of the president because of fear for themselves or their family, but that is indeed what is being reported by other House members they've shared such fears with. If true, this is a stunning indictment of their own moral failing. Because it means that the terrorists have successfully extorted votes in Congress with the threat of personal violence or death. Think about that concept for just one moment, because it is stunning. By refusing to vote a certain way out of fear, the terrorists have won. No, they didn't win the larger vote, but if even one vote switched out because of such rank intimidation, then something is very wrong indeed.

I can understand how getting death threats directed at you or your family is a terrifying thing to experience. But I'd be one heck of a lot more sympathetic to these people if they had shown an ounce of sympathy when those same death threats were being made against elections officials in states like Georgia. I didn't notice, at the time, a huge outpouring of sympathy and denunciations of violent threats coming from the House Republican caucus back then, because such an outpouring simply did not exist. That was the first stark example of the moral cowardice and decay of "Republican family values" in this sorry episode.

The second, of course, came when 139 Republicans in the House and eight Republicans in the Senate voted to throw out two states' Electoral College votes after violent mobs had beseiged and invaded the Capitol with deadly results. Republicans knew full well that the claims were completely baseless -- unmoored to any factual claims whatsoever. And yet far too many of them voted exactly the way the mob wanted them to. How many of these votes were cast out of fear? We'll probably never know, but any number above "zero" is shameful.

The third wave of cowardly behavior came yesterday, where apparently a non-zero number of Republicans voted against impeachment not on the merits of the case but rather on their very tangible fear for their lives or their families' lives. Again, any and all of this happening is letting the terrorists win, plain and simple.

When faced with such a dangerous no-win situation, there are really only two honorable paths forward: vote the way the facts and your conscience tells you, or resign and make public the reason you are resigning -- to ensure you and your family's safety from thugs and mobsters. Either one of those routes could be taken with complete honor. But bending to the threats by doing exactly what the thugs are attempting to extort out of you in an effort to appease them is not an honorable thing to do. Quite the opposite, in fact.

It's not just the Republicans in Congress who are showing such a distinct lack of moral backbone, either. Two days ago, a press conference was finally held where the federal law enforcement response to the insurrectionists was detailed. This is the highest-profile public address that has been given by anyone in the Trump administration, and it came woefully late (six full days after the riots). Because it is the number one political and national security issue the country is facing right now, you might have thought that the leaders of the two agencies would have been the ones to conduct the briefing. The acting attorney general should have represented the Department of Justice, and the head of the F.B.I. should have represented his agency. Neither bothered to show up.

The explanation given was another profile in cowardice. Neither man wanted to attract the attention of the man-baby in the Oval Office. "If I give the briefing and the toddler-in-chief goes ballistic, then he'll fire me, and that would be detrimental to the nation's security for the next week" is how the rationalization in each man's head reportedly went.

This is beyond pathetic.

Again, there are really only two honorable courses of action to take, here. Either stand up and give the public the information they deserve in person -- tell the truth without regard to any consequences you might face -- or hand in your resignation, for failing to properly do the job you were entrusted with. Have faith in the public, and have faith that if the president did fire you as a result, it would be another black mark against him, not you. Can you even imagine the public outcry right now if Donald Trump tried to fire either the head of the F.B.I. or the attorney general just because he got in a snit over them stating the truth? Trust that that is enough to stay his hand. Or, if you can't manage to do that, then step down now because you are incapable of performing the full responsibilities of your job.

Being cowed and influenced and motivated by fear from terrorists is letting them win. Changing your official duties, votes, or other actions in response to fear of violent retribution is letting the terrorists win. Now, I fully realize that not everyone is going to be brave (or even foolhardy) enough to defy those who are issuing death threats, and I'm not saying they should. Resigning because you are frightened for the lives of your spouse, your children, or yourself is an entirely honorable way out of the conundrum. But giving in to threats is not. It is letting the terrorists win, plain and simple.

-- Chris Weigant

 

Follow Chris on Twitter: @ChrisWeigant

 

87 Comments on “Don't Let The Terrorists Win”

  1. [1] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    "If I give the briefing and the toddler-in-chief goes ballistic, then he'll fire me, and that would be detrimental to the nation's security for the next week" is how the rationalization in each man's head reportedly went.

    This is beyond pathetic.

    I really find it hard to believe that this is why Chris Wray wasn't at that presser. I mean, if it is, it is beyond pathetic to downright massive incompetence.

    I don't know a lot about Director Wray but he has contradicted Trump's asinine assertions and worldview on more than one occasion. Being afraid of being fired by Trump doesn't seem to fit.

    I would be more worried about how many employees of the FBI and other law enforcement and of the National Guardsmen and women and rest of the military are in sympathy with the devil ... er, man currently in the WH.

  2. [2] 
    Don Harris wrote:

    If the legislators in question should have the courage to vote the way facts and conscience tells you or resign under death threats it seems a journalist should have the courage to take on the big money interests corrupting the Deathocrat and Republikiller partnership under the threat of what- maybe not being liked by the corrupt leaders of the Deathocrat and Republikiller politicians?

    I will take your advice, however. I will not be cowed by threats of termination in exposing the lie of the Deathocrats and Republikillers and will give the trolls commenting here whatever they give me right back as it seems to be up to me to take action when they attack me for posting my opinion.

  3. [3] 
    John From Censornati wrote:

    Death Harris,

    Attacking our host with boring, repetitive, run-on "sentences" because he refuses to embarrass himself by advertising your "idea" is not an opinion. It's red-card-worthy trolling. The only thing you're exposing is your ass.

  4. [4] 
    John From Censornati wrote:

    Apparently, a non-zero number of Republicans voted against impeachment not because they were afraid of death threats, but because they are terrorists. Any and all of this is happening because they want the terrorists to win.

  5. [5] 
    John From Censornati wrote:

    Now that the Vanilla ISIS org chart has come into sharper view, somebody should tell Mike Pence that America's terrorist killing machine is really good at getting Number 2.

  6. [6] 
    John From Censornati wrote:

    Comey says Biden should pardon Osama bin Orange. I certainly hope that Joe is tuning that one out.

  7. [7] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    Comey said no such thing. Let's be about the truth of the matter, JFC.

  8. [8] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    Are you trying to be just like Trump?

  9. [9] 
    John From Censornati wrote:

    So, Biden should just "consider" it and not do it? Yeah, that's what Comey meant.

  10. [10] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    Enough!

  11. [11] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    I thought your instincts were better than that.

  12. [12] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    Or is that you just can't wait to bash all of the good guys. I'm oughta here if that's the case.

    I half there already.

  13. [13] 
    John From Censornati wrote:

    [11] . . . says the woman who told me that she knew that Monster Harris would definitely not be Biden's choice when he gave a super obvious clue that he would choose her.

    It will not be "healing" to pardon the orange one. It would be an outrage and would not be well received at all. Republican/terrorists would probably like it, so it's hardly surprising that a Republican is recommending it.

  14. [14] 
    John From Censornati wrote:

    [12] You don't get to decide who is a good guy and who isn't. That's what's known as an opinion. Last Wednesday I watched a mob of terrorists swarm the Capitol and they think Fat Donny is a good guy.

    I don't think Comey is a good guy or a bad guy. I think he's guy who should go away.

  15. [15] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    BIDEN ISN'T GOING TO PARDON TRUMP - STOP SAYING HE WILL AND THAT COMEY SAYS HE SHOULD

  16. [16] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    I wouldn't be surprised if Biden is working with McConnell to ensure that there will be a Trump conviction in the senate.

  17. [17] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    And, that is what Comey recommends, too.

  18. [18] 
    John From Censornati wrote:

    STOP SAYING HE WILL

    I didn't say he will. I said it would be an outrage if he did. I happen to think he has better sense than to even "consider" it.

  19. [19] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    says the woman who told me that she knew that Monster Harris would definitely not be Biden's choice when he gave a super obvious clue that he would choose her.

    I was hardly that absolute about it.

    Indeed, I said that Biden wouldn't hold a grudge against her, as I recall.

  20. [20] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    Just don't start spreading lies about Biden or Comey, or anyone else for that matter. That is all I ask.

  21. [21] 
    John From Censornati wrote:

    Here you go:

    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    “Do not hold grudges.” “Campaigned with me & Jill.” “Talented.” “Great help to campaign.” “Great respect for her.”

    Heh.

    Now I know she won't be it.

    [ Wednesday, July 29th, 2020 at 13:28 ]

  22. [22] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    I don't think Comey is a good guy or a bad guy. I think he's a guy who should go away.

    Well, thankfully, you don't get to decide who should go away and who should stay. That's what's known as an opinion, I'm told. :)

  23. [23] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    Here is what I actually said, in response to Mezzomamma,

    Mezzomamma,

    I'd like to know, as a serious question, why you feel Warren or Harris would not be good VP picks? Do you think they would hurt Biden's candidacy (and why), or do you think there are more intrinsic reasons why either would not make a good VP (and why again)?

    Well, let me say that should Biden choose either one of them, I will be very surprised. Not because I think Biden holds a grudge but, I certainly do. I just do. I'll be equally surprised if they end up in a Biden cabinet. Although, I think a great place for Senator Warren would be heading up the CFPB. And, I mean that sincerely.

    Senator Harris blew all hope for a cabinet position when she so disingenuously and crassly politically went after Biden on race, especially when her position on bussing was the same as his. I'll never forgive her for that. NEVER!

    I feel that neither would be a good pick for two reasons. Number one, Biden is looking for someone who is 'sympatico' with him on all issues - especially on tax and fiscal policy - as a matter of principle and who won't be duplicitous depending on political winds. The primaries were quite revealing on this.

    And, number two, he wants someone who shares his worldview and who understands, intimately, all of the hard work that will be required to restore America's global leadership role. I think his pick will have strong national security and foreign policy views that match his own. This ain't 2008, though, when Obama needed Biden's foreign policy chops on the ticket to compensate for his own paucity of experience on this front, despite the wonderful foreign policy speeches in foreign lands. Heh.

    I don't think either one of them would hurt his candidacy or his chances of beating Trump. But, having just wrote that, I disagree! I think Warren would definitely hurt his chances for being elected president. In fact, I would go so far to say that she would doom his candidacy from the moment of the announcement. Warren didn't even have the support of Democrats, let alone Republicans who are itching to vote against Trump.

    Again, I think Biden is the first presidential candidate in a very long time, if not ever, who is THE best qualified, bar none, to make this decision. If only for the fact that he knows, personally, more qualified women than all of us put together! I won't be surprised if he picks someone who he trusts instinctively but who is relatively unknown to the rest of us

  24. [24] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    Your [21] was a bit unclear as to who said what, so ...

  25. [25] 
    John From Censornati wrote:

    I'm well aware that's my opinion, but I'm pretty sure that your opinion is the minority opinion. Comey is hated by the orange death cult and not a whole lot more popular with Democrats. I suppose his constituency is Canada.

  26. [26] 
    John From Censornati wrote:

    [24] Those are Biden's notes regarding Harris which convinced you that she (heh) would not be it.

  27. [27] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    You should know that I'm batting around .500 when it comes to picking vice presidents. Ahem.

  28. [28] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    That's a pretty good batting average, by the way. Heh.

  29. [29] 
    John From Censornati wrote:

    Hmm. Which one did you pick?

  30. [30] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    I'll give you three guesses and the first two don't count.

  31. [31] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    but I'm pretty sure that your opinion is in the minority opinion. Comey is hated by the orange death cult and not a whole lot more popular with Democrats. I suppose his constituency is Canada.

    Oh, yeah, my opinion on Comey is most decidedly in the minority, even in Canada.

    FYI, I run into Trump supports up here all the freakin' time. :(

  32. [32] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    put CNN on now, it's gonna be good

  33. [33] 
    John From Censornati wrote:

    Lucky you. Down here they don't even know who Justin Whatshisname is.

  34. [34] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    forget it ... poor sound quality

  35. [35] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    Luck has nothing to do with it!

  36. [36] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    Geopolitik, JFC, it's just a matter of geopolitics. :)

    Are you watching CNN ... hopefully they get the sound fixed and we hear from the lawyer of the QAnon Shaman!

  37. [37] 
    nypoet22 wrote:

    terrorists who look, talk and dress like the majority of other citizens are still terrorists, but they tend to be a lot more successful at it than those who look, talk and dress outside the norm. and i don't mean just skin color, because people of color can also be more successful terrorists if their language, accent, hobbies, and other cultural reference points are within the mainstream.

  38. [38] 
    Kick wrote:

    CW: Can you even imagine the public outcry right now if Donald Trump tried to fire either the head of the F.B.I. or the attorney general just because he got in a snit over them stating the truth?

    He fired via tweet the head of CISA (Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency) whom Trump himself had appointed in 2017, and for what? Trump axed Chris Krebs, one of the government's most senior cybersecurity officials, for stating the facts and thoroughly debunking the election disinformation which was being disseminated directly from the White House and Trump himself. The public barely blinked an eye. What's another firing? #SSDD

    Mobsters Are Governing America, but they're in the process of packing their shit and leaving now. :)

  39. [39] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    Sign of the Gypsy Queen

  40. [40] 
    Kick wrote:

    CW: Being cowed and influenced and motivated by fear from terrorists is letting them win.

    Yes, sir... and that right there makes Donald Trump the biggest cow of them all... and the shit just keeps rolling downhill; however, soon it'll be rolling out of DC, but that is a stench that is going to linger.

  41. [41] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    Sign of the Gypsy Queen
    April Wine

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k0kEyDnQ4k

    Lightning smokes on the hill rise
    Brought the man with the warning light
    Shoutin' out, you had better fly
    While the darkness can help you hide
    Trouble's comin' without control
    No one's stayin' that's got a hope
    Hurricane at the very least
    In the words of the gypsy queen

    Sign of the gypsy queen
    Pack your things and leave
    Word of a woman who knows
    Take all your gold and you go

    Get my saddle and tie it on
    Western wind movin' fast and strong
    Jump on back, he is good and long
    We'll resist 'til we reach the dawn
    Runnin' seems like the best defense
    Stayin' just don't make any sense
    No one could ever stop it now

    Show the cards of the gypsy town
    Sign of the gypsy queen
    Pack your things and leave
    Word of a woman who knows

    Take all your gold and you go

    Shadows movin' without a sound
    From the hold of the sleepless town
    Evil seems to be everywhere
    Heed the spirit that brought despair
    Trouble's comin' without control

    No one's stayin' that's got a hope
    Hurricane at the very least
    In the words of the gypsy queen
    Sign of the gypsy queen

    Pack your things and leave
    Word of a woman who knows
    Take all your gold and you go
    Sign of the gypsy queen
    Pack your things and leave
    Word of a woman who knows
    Take all your gold and you go
    Sign of the gypsy queen
    Pack your things and leave
    Word of a woman who knows
    Take all your gold and you go

    Songwriters: Lorence Hud

  42. [42] 
    John From Censornati wrote:

    Yes I turned off Hannity so I could watch that horned fool story.

    He should hire Giuliani and his representation would improve.

    We shouldn't call people fools because they hang on Donald's every word for years?

    I wonder if Cuomo just got punked.

  43. [43] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    Could be. But, this wasn't their first rodeo ...

  44. [44] 
    John From Censornati wrote:

    I won't be surprised if the witch doctor gets his wish, but it won't be because he hired that rodeo clown lawyer.

  45. [45] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    What if Trump pardoned the who damn lot of them?

  46. [46] 
    John From Censornati wrote:

    "Please give me pardon" is probably a better legal strategy than that guy who says he beat that cop with a flagpole because he thought he was antifa.

  47. [47] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    Heh. Yeah, probably. :)

  48. [48] 
    John From Censornati wrote:

    [45] That's exactly what I was insinuating.

  49. [49] 
    Don Harris wrote:

    Liz (20)-
    Now you don't want lies about Biden?

    You previously have bought into all the lies about Biden.

    But it is good you are finally ready to accept the truth about Biden and how he and the team he is building is bought and owned by the big money interests and that he, just like Trump, is an enemy of the citizens of America.

    Congratulations on escaping the cult and returing to reality.

  50. [50] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    Do you have a tune to go with that?

  51. [51] 
    Kick wrote:

    Death Harris
    2

    If the legislators in question should have the courage to vote the way facts and conscience tells you or resign under death threats it seems a journalist should have the courage to take on the big money interests corrupting the Deathocrat and Republikiller partnership under the threat of what- maybe not being liked by the corrupt leaders of the Deathocrat and Republikiller politicians?

    This is a mish-mash of incomprehensible spewage lifted straight out of the cesspool and likely fished out of your impacted backside. Did you skewer it with your stick or your teeth? Rhetorical question.

    I will take your advice, however.

    Oh, good. Since you've been asked nicely on multiple occasions to take some advice, you may please us all and kindly start here:

    [54] Chris Weigant wrote:

    Don Harris [49] -

    Yes. You are a troll. Deal with it.

    As for your language, you are pushing me very very close to banning the first person ever from my site. You have been warned, and this is your final warning.

    If ignoring you doesn't work, then banning you just might. Address the issues in the articles or the comments to those articles, and quit with your own monomania, because nobody's listening. Instead, you are just trolling.

    And we're ALL way beyond getting tired of it.

    Is that clear enough?

    -CW

    [Thursday, April 2nd, 2020 at 16:05 UTC]

    http://www.chrisweigant.com/2020/04/01/april-is-the-cruelest-month/#comment-156925

    *
    I will not be cowed by threats of termination in exposing the lie of the Deathocrats and Republikillers and will give the trolls commenting here whatever they give me right back as it seems to be up to me to take action when they attack me for posting my opinion.

    Allow me to reiterate that if you're going to post the repetitive verbal diarrhea you've fished out of your cesspool that we're going respond in kind with our opinions. We all are entitled to our opinions too. If you don't fancy our repetitive responses to your repetitious and rank bullstank, may I kindly suggest you stop posting the monotonous stench?

    In conclusion, I was going to end my opinion of your opinion by explaining how this article wasn't even remotely about you or your tedious and mundane backside spew and grifting, but then I realized it was indeed an article about terrorists... and people standing up to terrorists... and have concluded that you better thank your fantastical repetitive bullstank that CW hasn't yet stood up to his. :)

  52. [52] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    Kick, must you persist?

  53. [53] 
    Don Harris wrote:

    CW-
    Don't let the terrorists win.

    Let's see.

    380,000 covid deaths (so far)

    Thousands dying every year from lack of health care

    Tens of millions living paycheck to paycheck

    The War on Habitat

    That is just a small sample of the terrorism waged on the citizens of our country, not to mention all the war waged on citizens of other countries by the capitalists that control our political system.

    You just let/helped one of the terrorists become president in the 2020 election.

    You should honor the request by Liz to be truthful about Biden.

    Unless you want to let the terrorists keep winning.

  54. [54] 
    Don Harris wrote:

    Liz (52)-
    Yes. Kick must persist. Kick is only here to troll.

    And for some reason Kick is allowed to persist and I am not allowed to fight back.

    I guess only certain terrorists should not be allowed to win. Others seem to be given a free pass.

  55. [55] 
    Kick wrote:

    John From Censornati
    6

    Comey says Biden should pardon Osama bin Orange. I certainly hope that Joe is tuning that one out.

    I totally agree.

    Can you think of a reason that a former Director of the FBI -- who violated longstanding protocol and department rules to announce via written correspondence a few short days before a national election that a candidate for President of the United States was being investigated -- might want the incoming POTUS to consider giving that man (whom he himself has compared to a "mafia boss") a pardon?

    I can. :)

  56. [56] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    Comey doesn't want anyone to pardon Trump. Why lie about this?

  57. [57] 
    Kick wrote:

    Elizabeth Miller
    7

    Comey said no such thing. Let's be about the truth of the matter, JFC.

    Who's going to tell her?

    Ahem. James Comey said he hoped Joe Biden would consider pardoning Donald Trump.

    Now I ask you... why would Comey want that? I know the answer, but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the matter. Comey said Mafia Don belongs in prison but that it would allow U.S. to move on. Heh. :)

  58. [58] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    Ahem. James Comey said he hoped Joe Biden would consider pardoning Donald Trump.

    Repeating a lie doesn't make it so. I thought you knew that.

  59. [59] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    I don't have time for this.

  60. [60] 
    Kick wrote:

    Awesome reading, peeps. I'm dizzy. :)

  61. [61] 
    Don Harris wrote:
  62. [62] 
    Kick wrote:

    Elizabeth Miller
    45

    What if Trump pardoned the who damn lot of them?

    They'd have to admit their guilt and then eventually testify in a court of law against Trump and/or anyone Trump didn't pardon by name. I do not believe there's a such thing as a blanket pardon for as yet unidentified Trumpanzees. Nope... pretty sure there isn't. :)

  63. [63] 
    Kick wrote:

    John From Censornati
    46

    "Please give me pardon" is probably a better legal strategy than that guy who says he beat that cop with a flagpole because he thought he was antifa.

    More proof for the evidence pile that Trumpanzees are gullible morons. So if those cops were pro-fascist instead of anti-fascist, does that mean they'd have been spared that violent beating with the Trump flagpole or that fatal beating with a fire extinguisher?

    I have it on good authority that dang near every U.S. soldier fighting in WWI and WWII were anti-fascist. Ah, I miss the good old days when the goose-stepping fascists were America's enemies. :)

  64. [64] 
    Kick wrote:

    Elizabeth Miller
    52

    Kick, must you persist?

    If he grifts
    I must persist.

    Any more questions? Rhetorical question. :)

  65. [65] 
    Kick wrote:

    Don Harris
    54

    And for some reason Kick is allowed to persist and I am not allowed to fight back.

    Perhaps that's because I'm simply responding to the repetitive trolling that you were asked on multiple occasions to stop doing. If you'd stop the BS trolling as you were asked, none of here would have a reason to post our opinion of your continued monotonous trolling of the forum's author.

    I guess only certain terrorists should not be allowed to win. Others seem to be given a free pass.

    I'd guess you were devoid of an education and any common sense and ability to comprehend the written word, but I don't have to because I've read your bio and watched you repeatedly ignore CW's posts.

    If you don't want a response to your repetitive spew, may I suggest you stop hemorrhaging the monotonous BS.

  66. [66] 
    Kick wrote:

    Elizabeth Miller
    56

    Comey doesn't want anyone to pardon Trump. Why lie about this?

    I have a better question: Why would you post that I'm lying about this when my post is in no way misleading or untruthful?

    I asked JFC if he could think of a reason that Comey might want the incoming POTUS to consider giving Trump (whom he himself has compared to a "mafia boss") a pardon?

    https://www.newsweek.com/james-comey-donald-trump-pardon-impeachment-healing-1561457

    Comey was asked about a pardon, and he said Biden should consider it. No lie.

  67. [67] 
    Kick wrote:

    Elizabeth Miller
    58

    Repeating a lie doesn't make it so. I thought you knew that.

    Right back at you, EM. I posted facts. Claiming I lied on multiple occasions doesn't make you correct when you're incorrect:

    https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1349476921252450308?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1349476921252450308%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.newsweek.com%2Fjames-comey-donald-trump-pardon-impeachment-healing-1561457

    Comey: "I think the wiser decision would be not to pursue him."

    When asked if Biden should pardon Trump as Ford pardoned Nixon:

    "I don't know. He should consider it."

    So to recap: What part of "The wiser decision would be not to pursue him" and "He should consider it" are confusing?

  68. [68] 
    Mezzomamma wrote:

    I think Comey's judgement can be questioned.

  69. [69] 
    Mezzomamma wrote:

    People of color have had to fear for their own and their families' lives for centuries, because generally, black lives didn't matter. Nor did Native American lives, Hispanic lives, Far Eastern lives....

  70. [70] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    JFC and Kick,

    Okay, I just watched the jaw-dropping BBC Comey interview.

    And, I was wrong. JFC and Kick are right, of course, that Comey did say that Biden should CONSIDER pardoning Trump. Practically fell off my chair.

    Did y'all hear that? That was the sound of my head exploding. Ahem.

    The only way Biden should consider pardoning Trump is if the pardon would be dependent on Trump: staying off, for the remainder of his days on earth, all manner of social media, staying off any kind of media - earth-bound or otherwise - talking politics of any kind, except to further apologize for all of his lies therein; making one final public announcement to say that he was wrong about the 2020 election being rigged and apologize for any permanent misunderstanding he may have caused about that (and not read it off of a screen or from notes; it would have to be deemed sincere); not making any further use of his pardon power to pardon family members, himself, anyone who was or is in his administration or even remotely linked to it or any of his supporters/Capitol rioters; and, making a written pledge to never seek public office again nor support, in any way, anyone in their own effort to seek public office. This list should in no way be considered exhaustive.

    Comey looked a bit tired, I think ...

  71. [71] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    I've also changed my mind about the need for any further discussion about Biden making a deal with congressional Republicans Re. the filibuster/SCOTUS/federal judgeships in order to gain their support for his agenda. Biden has the lot of them right where he needs them and should proceed accordingly.

  72. [72] 
    John From Censornati wrote:

    Comey repeated that nonsense on Andrea Mitchell's show just now. He's selling a book and it look's like he believes that any publicity is good publicity.

    I wonder who he got that idea from?

  73. [73] 
    John From Censornati wrote:

    Harold Bornstein's death is a timely reminder of what happens to anyone who hitches his wagon to the orange one. He shamed himself by lying for a treacherous conman, was predictably betrayed and died as a punchline.

  74. [74] 
    TheStig wrote:

    If Biden were to pardon Trump he doesn't exactly heal anything...he just wounds a different part of the electorate....the part that stood up for following the law as opposed to skirting it...or simply pissing on it.

    Furthermore, Trump is almost certain to be prosecuted by New York State and perhaps New York City. Biden can't do a thing about that...and I would say chances of Trump being exonerated of tax evasion, and God only knows what else he's done, is razor slim. So, a very likely outcome is that EVERYBODY ends being mad as hell.

    Justice is blind, but that's no excuse to rape and strangle her while she isn't looking.

  75. [75] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    [71] ... I can't tell you how disappointed I am. :(

  76. [76] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    I think Comey may have lost his mind.

  77. [77] 
    Don Harris wrote:

    "Biden had the lot of them right where he needs them and should act accordingly."

    Don't hold your breath waiting for Biden to act accordingly.

    There is less of a chance of that happening then there was that AOC and the fraud squad would do what they campaigned on and join the force the vote effort to pressure Pelosi to bring Medicare for all to a floor vote by withholding their votes for Pelosi for speaker without a commitment form Pelosi for a floor vote on medicare for all.

    If the alleged progressives in the party don't act accordingly when they have Pelosi right where they need her then big money corporate sellout estabvlishment Biden certainly will not act accordingly.

    Unless your are using the big money interests definition of acting accordingly which is making the first priority of anything Biden does is making it exceedingly profitable and free from any liability for the big money interests.

  78. [78] 
    John From Censornati wrote:

    [74] Heroes can never let you down just as long as they're dead. - Dave Pirner

  79. [79] 
    nypoet22 wrote:

    happy MLK day.

  80. [80] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    Peace, love, and justice!

  81. [81] 
    Kick wrote:

    Elizabeth Miller
    69

    Okay, I just watched the jaw-dropping BBC Comey interview.

    Good times. *shakes head*

    And, I was wrong.

    JFC and I have never been wrong; tell us what it feels like. Heh. Humans are wrong about something every day. Big deal. It's all part of being a human, and we're all subject to the human condition... including James Comey. This is why we humans study history, but I digress.

    JFC and Kick are right, of course, that Comey did say that Biden should CONSIDER pardoning Trump. Practically fell off my chair.

    We have discussed before why pardoning Trump would be a huge mistake. Biden knows this because he knows what Trump has done. A member of Donald Trump's own campaign attended a meeting with multiple other members of the Trump campaign wherein illegal issues were discussed. It was after that meeting that this person extricated himself from the Trump campaign but not before reporting these illegalities to a high-ranking member of the Obama administration... Joe Biden.

    For this and multiple other reasons, I do not think Joe Biden will pardon Donald Trump, and if he does, I'll fall off my chair.

    Did y'all hear that? That was the sound of my head exploding. Ahem.

    You'll be fine. We will be fine, but buckle up because it's going to get bumpier still.

    Comey looked a bit tired, I think ...

    Yes, well... Comey is looking out for his own best interests; it's what humans generally always do when they're under pressure.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a01QQZyl-_I

  82. [82] 
    Kick wrote:

    TheStig
    73

    If Biden were to pardon Trump he doesn't exactly heal anything...he just wounds a different part of the electorate....the part that stood up for following the law as opposed to skirting it...or simply pissing on it.

    Yes, sir.

    Furthermore, Trump is almost certain to be prosecuted by New York State and perhaps New York City. Biden can't do a thing about that...and I would say chances of Trump being exonerated of tax evasion, and God only knows what else he's done...

    God, Mikey Cohen, Allen Weisselberg, Mary Trump, Maryanne Trump Barry... I could go on.

    ... is razor slim.

    Infinitesimally small.

    Justice is blind, but that's no excuse to rape and strangle her while she isn't looking.

    Unfortunately for Benedict Donald, justice was watching. That is why he has committed a myriad of felonies and lied to millions of Americans and radicalized them in order to hang onto power to protect his own ass. He does not care about America; he does not care about Americans. He's a counterintelligence threat and has been one since before he ever set one foot in the Oval.

  83. [83] 
    ListenWhenYouHear wrote:

    Do you think that Putin ever allowed himself to believe Trump could be as destructive force against democracy as he has been? Vlad sure got his money’s worth out of Tangerine Turd...it’s probably the only time that someone who has invested in Trump has seen BIG returns!

    I believe that we will be learning just how many GOP members of Congress were complicit in the terrorist attacks on the Capitol very soon. (According to Liz Cheney).

    This excuse for why they failed to hold Trump accountable out of fear for their lives just does not make sense. When have Republicans ever admitted to doing something wrong when there are no benefits to them for telling the truth? Their claims that they only voted NOT to impeach was done out of fear only causes them problems; it doesn’t help them in the immediate.

    However, it would be beneficial to them if they are sure that they will be charged with aiding in the sedition and they needed to start laying the groundwork for a criminal defense! Guess we will see soon enough if this is true.

  84. [84] 
    Kick wrote:

    Elizabeth Miller
    75

    I think Comey may have lost his mind.

    He's human like the rest of us, and a better one than most.

    I want Rudy Giuliani in custody; however, he'll likely get a pardon from the co-conspirator-in-chief. It should be challenged.

    I cannot fathom that the SCOTUS would allow any POTUS to pardon those persons who conspired with him to commit a crime. If they do, then a POTUS would be allowed to commit any crime or incite any other person to commit any crime and then just pardon away their criminality. I cannot imagine a world wherein the members of the SCOTUS would bestow upon any president the power to order their own dissolution (or even their execution) and then issue a pardon for doing it. They seem a little too intelligent for that... regardless of any political or religious affiliation or ideation.

    Trumpian policy is a big loser in the courts:

    https://policyintegrity.org/trump-court-roundup

    He's lost about 80% of them... a stunning amount of loss... even in courts where he appointed the judges.

  85. [85] 
    ListenWhenYouHear wrote:

    Kick,

    Hello, my sweet friend! Happy MLK Day!

    He's a counterintelligence threat and has been one since before he ever set one foot in the Oval.

    A counter-intelligence threat that we never conducted a counter-intelligence investigation on! I can only guess why Rosenstein chose to stop the investigation from happening. Most likely he knew it was better to not know for sure that Trump was a compromised Russian asset and then have to figure out how they would remove Trump without completely destroying our country. He knew that the DOJ’s policy is that the sitting president cannot be charged with a crime while in office, but you would think that treason and sedition might be the exceptions to this rule.

    I think the answer of how you deal with type of threat is not that difficult:

    The DOJ would say it’s time to see if the Constitution allows a sitting President to be indicted and they would have Trump arrested and charged for his crimes. Being under arrest makes Trump unable to carry out his duties the same way going under anesthesia would, thus triggering the 25th Amendment and promoting Pence from VP to President. Then SCOTUS can determine if the President is shielded from law enforcement’s efforts to stop him from overthrowing our democracy! I look forward to those that claim we have to read the Constitution as the Founding Fathers originally intended it to be read to argue that they would say a President is more like a king who can do anything he wants without fear of being held culpable for his crimes! !

  86. [86] 
    Kick wrote:

    ListenWhenYouHear
    85

    Hello, my sweet friend!

    So glad to "see" you, Russ. I've been so busy... even took a couple trips into Georgia... ATL, the Perimeter.

    Happy MLK Day!

    Yes, sir.

    "I may not get there with you." ~ MLK

    I wonder what Dr. King would have to say about the pastor of his "little" church?

    A counter-intelligence threat that we never conducted a counter-intelligence investigation on!

    A CI threat for which Mueller wasn't allowed to take a deep dive. A distinction with a difference.

    I think the answer of how you deal with type of threat is not that difficult...

    I like the way you think! Five days and counting. :)

  87. [87] 
    nypoet22 wrote:

    who the heck knows what dr. king would say if he were alive today. if anything, i lean toward the aaron mcgruder interpretation:

    oh snap, no they didn't! a boneless rib sandwich!
    ~MLK (the boondocks)

Comments for this article are closed.