ChrisWeigant.com

From The Archives -- 2007 Candidate Speech Series: Barack Obama

[ Posted Thursday, July 11th, 2019 – 12:00 UTC ]

[Program Note: While I am away this week attending Netroots Nation, I thought a blast from the past would be entertaining for my readers. In 2007, also while away on vacation, I conducted a journalistic experiment. I contacted the campaigns of all eight Democratic candidates for president and asked them for permission to reprint a transcript of the speech of their choice from their candidate. All responded, although Dennis Kucinich's campaign was unable to provide me with a transcript because he always spoke without notes (I ran one of his white papers instead).

The introduction to this series explained everything, and it is still kind of interesting to read for the inside-baseball points that it made. I should mention that as internet bandwidth improved by leaps and bounds, such an experiment was never necessary again, because by the next contested Democratic nomination, the campaign websites had not only transcripts but videos of each candidates' speeches, for everyone to see.

Anyway, this week I am reprinting five of these speeches, one each day, for your amusement. I begin with the two candidates who are also running again this year, Joe Biden and Mike Gravel. Then I'll move on to the two who lasted until the bitter end, Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, as well as the candidate that I personally supported in the race, John Edwards.

What's interesting about reading these speeches again is how times have changed (all Democrats were running against George W. Bush's record, at the time) as well as how things have remained the same (the same themes used today pop up in more than one speech). So sit back and enjoy this nostalgic trip into presidential politics from 12 years ago. I may also be able to post live columns throughout the week, but make no promises on that score (time is a serious constraint during these conferences).

 

Originally published November 19, 2007

Barack Obama

Barack Obama

 

A Change We Can Believe In

Spartanburg, South Carolina
11/3/07

 

One year from now, you will have the chance to walk into a voting booth, pull back the curtain, and choose the next President of the United States.

Here's the good news -- for the first time in a long time, the name George Bush will not appear on the ballot. The name Dick Cheney will not appear on the ballot. The era of Scooter Libby justice, and Brownie incompetence, and the Karl Rove politics of fear and cynicism will be over.

But the question you will have to ask yourselves when you pick up your ballot a year from today is, "What next?" How do we repair the enormous damage of these dismal years and recapture that sense of common purpose that has seen America through our toughest times?

I'm running for President because I believe we find ourselves in a moment of great challenge and great promise -- a moment that comes along once in a generation.

It's a moment of challenge because America is less safe and less respected than at any time in recent history. We are more dependent on oil from dictators and closer to the day when climate change becomes a climate catastrophe.

In the midst of great prosperity, families all across this country feel further from the American Dream. You know this from your own lives. Most Americans are working harder for less and paying more for health care and college than ever before. It's harder to save. Harder to retire. And the policies of the last seven years have added to that unfairness.

George Bush said whatever the politics of the moment required in order to get elected in 2000. And those seven years of broken promises have left the American people with less trust in their leaders and less faith in their government than they have in years.

We were promised compassion and conservatism but we got Katrina and wiretaps.

We were promised a uniter, but we got a divider who couldn't even lead the half of the country who voted for him.

We were promised a kinder, gentler Washington but got a town that's more bitter, secretive, and corrupt than ever before. And the only mission ever accomplished was using fear and falsehoods to take us to a war that should've never been authorized and never been waged.

This catastrophic failure of leadership has led us to a moment where it's not just Democrats who are listening to what we have to say, but Independents and Republicans who have never been more disillusioned with what the state of our leadership in Washington has done to this country.

That's why this is also a moment of great promise. It's a chance to turn the page by offering the American people a fundamentally different choice in 2008 -- not just in the policies we offer, but in the kind of leadership we offer. It's a chance to come together and finally solve the challenges that were made worse by George Bush, but existed long before he took office -- challenges like health care and energy and education that we haven't met for decades because of a political system in Washington that has failed the American people.

And that's what this debate in our party right now is all about.

Much has been said about the exchanges between Senator Clinton and myself this week. Now, understand that Hillary Clinton is a colleague and a friend. She's also a skilled politician, and she's run what Washington would call a "textbook" campaign. But the problem is the textbook itself.

It's a textbook that's all about winning elections, but says nothing about how to bring the country together to solve problems. As we saw in the debate last week, it encourages vague, calculated answers to suit the politics of the moment, instead of clear, consistent principles about how you would lead America. It teaches you that you can promise progress for everyday people while striking a bargain with the very special interests who crowd them out.

Now, Senator Clinton is certainly not the only one in Washington to play this game. It's gone on for years, and I understand the reasoning behind it. It's a game that usually gets politicians where they need to go. But I don't believe it gets America where we need to go. When it comes to issues like war and diplomacy; energy and health care, I don't believe we can bring about real change if all we do is change our positions based on what's popular or politically convenient. If we are going to seize this moment of challenge and promise, the American people deserve more when they head to the voting booth in 2008.

I believe that our party has made the most difference in people's lives and the life of this country when we have led not by polls but by principle; not by calculation but by conviction; when we've been able to summon the entire nation to a common purpose -- a higher purpose. That's how Roosevelt led us through war and lifted us from depression. It's how Kennedy called on a new generation to ask what they could do for America. And I am running for the Democratic nomination for President of the United States because that's the kind of leadership America needs right now.

I don't pretend to be a perfect man, and I will not be a perfect President. But I am in this race because I believe that if we want to break from the failures of the past and finally make progress as a country, we can't keep telling different people what we think they want to hear -- we have to tell every American what they need to know. We have to be honest about the challenges we face.

When I called for higher fuel standards so we could reduce our dependence on foreign oil, I didn't say it to some environmental group in California -- I said it in front of automakers in Detroit. When I called for corporate responsibility so that middle-class Americans could get a tax cut, I said it in front of CEOs on Wall Street. And when I was invited to speak out against George Bush's plan to invade Iraq as a Senate candidate five years ago, I didn't listen to those who warned me that it was politically risky position to take, I listened to my gut, and I said loud and clear that this was the wrong war at the wrong time and Congress should stand up and say so.

That's the kind of leadership we need right now. That's why I'm this race. Because I don't think you should settle for a President who's only there for you when it's easy or convenient or popular -- I think you deserve a President who's willing to fight for you every hour of every day for the next four years.

That's the change we can offer in 2008 -- not change as a slogan, but change we can believe in.

One year from now, we have the chance to tell all those corporate lobbyists that the days of them setting the agenda in Washington are over. I have done more to take on lobbyists than any other candidate in this race -- and I've won. I don't take a dime of their money, and when I am President, they won't find a job in my White House. Because real change isn't another four years of defending lobbyists who don't represent real Americans -- it's standing with working Americans who have seen their jobs disappear and their wages decline and their hope for the future slip further and further away. That's the change we can offer in 2008.

When I am President, I will end the tax giveaways to companies that ship our jobs overseas, and I will put the money in the pockets of working Americans, and seniors, and homeowners who deserve a break. I won't wait ten years to raise the minimum wage -- I'll raise it to keep pace every single year. And if American workers are being denied their right to organize when I'm in the White House, I will put on a comfortable pair of shoes and I will walk on that picket line with you as President of the United States.

One year from now, we can stop campaigning on the outrage of 47 million uninsured Americans and finally start doing something about it. I reformed health care in Illinois, and I didn't do it alone -- I did it by reaching out to Democrats and Republicans. We took on the insurance industry, and we won. That's how I'll pass a universal health care bill that allows every American to get the same kind of health care that members of Congress get for themselves and cuts every family's premiums by up to $2500. And mark my words -- I will sign this bill by the end of my first term as President. That's the change we can offer in 2008.

One year from now, we can stop sending our children down corridors of shame and start putting them on a pathway to success. When I am President, we will stop passing bills called No Child Left Behind that leave the money behind and start making real investments in education from cradle to adulthood. That means early childhood education. That means recruiting an army of new teachers, and paying them better, and supporting them more so they're not just teaching to test, but teaching to teach. And it means finally putting a college education within reach of every American. That's the change we can offer in 2008.

One year from now, we can stop sending hundreds of millions of dollars to dictators for their oil while we melt the polar ice caps in the bargain. I will raise our fuel standards, and put a cap on carbon emissions to reduce then 80% by 2050. We'll tell polluters that they have to pay for their pollution, because they don't own the skies, the American people own the skies. And we'll use the money to invest in the clean, renewable fuels that are our future. That's the change we can offer in 2008.

In this election, we have the chance to turn the page on the last six years of being told that the only way for Democrats to look tough on national security is to talk, and act, and vote like George Bush Republicans.

When I'm your nominee, my opponent won't be able to say that I was for the war in Iraq before I was against it; or that I supported an extension of the Iraq war into Iran; or that I support the Bush-Cheney diplomacy of not talking to leaders we don't like. And he won't be able to say that I flip-flopped on something as fundamental as whether our nation should use torture. Because we are not a nation that makes excuses for torture, we are a nation that rejects it. That's the change we can offer in 2008.

When I am President, I will end this war in Iraq. I will bring our troops home within sixteen months. I'll finish the fight against al Qaeda in Afghanistan. And I will lead the world against the common threats of the 21st century -- nuclear weapons and terrorism; climate change and poverty; genocide and disease. That's what Democrats must stand for, and that's what America must stand for. And I'll be a President who finally sends a message to the black, white, and brown faces beyond our shores; from the halls of power to the huts of Africa that says, "You matter to America. Your future is our future. And our moment is now."

America, our moment is now. Now is our chance to turn the page. Now is our chance to write a new chapter.

I am in this race because I don't want to see us spend the next year re-fighting the Washington battles of the 1990s. I don't want to pit Blue America against Red America, I want to lead a United States of America. I don't want this election to be about the past, because if it's about the future, we all win. If this election is about whether or not to end this war, or pass universal health care, or make more college affordable, it won't just be a Democratic victory; it will be an American victory.

That's the victory this country needs right now. This election and this moment are too important to settle for what we already know. The time has come to reach for what we know is possible.

I am not running for this office to fulfill any long-held plans or because I believe it is somehow owed to me. I never expected to be here, and I always knew the journey would be improbable. I've never been on one that wasn't.

I am running because of what Dr. King called "the fierce urgency of now." I am running because I do believe there's such a thing as being too late. And that hour is almost here.

I'm running because I don't want to wake up one morning four years from now, and turn on one of those cable talk shows, and see that Washington is still stuck in the same food fight it's been in for over a decade. I don't want to see that more Americans lost their health care and fell into bankruptcy because we let the insurance industry spend millions to stop us for yet another year. I don't want to see that.

I don't want to see that the oceans rose another few inches and the planet has reached the point of no return because we couldn't find a way to stop ourselves from buying oil from dictators. I don't want to see that.

I don't want to see that we risked more American lives in another misguided war because no one had the judgment to ask the tough questions before we sent our troops to fight. I don't want to see that.

I don't want to see homeless veterans on the street. I don't want to send another generation of children through corridors of shame. I don't want this future for my daughters and I do not accept this future for America. It is time to turn the page.

I run for the presidency for the same reason I drove halfway across the country over two decades ago to bring jobs to the jobless and hope to the hopeless on the streets of Chicago; for the same reason I stood up for justice and equality as a civil rights lawyer; for the same reason I've fought for Illinois families for over a decade. Because I will never forget that the only reason I am standing here today is because someone, somewhere stood up when it wasn't popular, when it was risky; when it was hard. And because that someone stood up, a few more did. And then a few thousand. And then a few million. And together, they changed the world.

That's why I run in this election. I run to give my children and their children the same chances that someone, somewhere gave me. I run so that a year from today, there is a chance that the world will look at America differently, and that America will look at itself differently. And I run to keep the promise of the United States of America alive for all those who still hunger for opportunity and thirst for equality and long to believe again.

That is the change that's possible in this election. That is the moment I want to seize as President. And I ask you all to join me in this journey. Thank you.

 

-- Chris Weigant

 

Follow Chris on Twitter: @ChrisWeigant

 

37 Comments on “From The Archives -- 2007 Candidate Speech Series: Barack Obama”

  1. [1] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    There were many reasons that convinced the Democratic nominee for president in 2008 to choose Senator Joe Biden for his running mate but, Biden's foreign policy prowess was certainly at the top of that long list.

    Here is a link to Senator Biden's speech today on US foreign policy and American leadership, at home and abroad.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH1LXd0dZ8g

    He spoke of the future of US global leadership and did not touch on his support for the October 2002 authorization for the use of military force in Iraq.

    I think he is saving it up for any of his Demcratic rivals for the nomination should they be so foolish to criticize him for his "vote for war" in Iraq or for his support for it once it began.

    I only hope he has learned not to cut himself off at the next debate - when Iraq is sure to come up -
    and answer his fellow Democrats, ad Bidenitum!

  2. [2] 
    Balthasar wrote:

    I agree, Elizabeth, for the same reasons that a Biden-Kamala Harris ticket looks so good today.

    I don't really think that policy will be a big issue, anymore. Pretty much, all Biden has to do is go onstage and say, "I'm not Trump! Goodnight!"

  3. [3] 
    Michale wrote:

    Barack who???

  4. [4] 
    Michale wrote:

    I don't really think that policy will be a big issue, anymore. Pretty much, all Biden has to do is go onstage and say, "I'm not Trump! Goodnight!"

    And 30% Of America will vote for him on that basis...

    But the other 70% will swing overwhelmingly for the President that made their lives better...

    Result: President Trump in a landslide...

  5. [5] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    Balthasar,

    I think you're wrong about what Biden needs to do. He need to do a heckuva lot more than you suggest.

    The first thing he has to do is give everyone - and I'm not talking about just his fellow candidates - a history lesson about what the vote for the AUMF in Iraq was all about and about the context in which that vote took place.

    As for who Biden will choose as his vice president, he will choose someone who is on the same wavelength with respect to political philosophy who he trusts and trusts him implicitly.

    Like President Obama, Biden will delegate great authority to his vice president and when Biden's vice president speaks to any leader in the world, that leader will know, implicitly, that the VP is speaking for Biden.

    Do you think Senator Harris fits that bill?

  6. [6] 
    ListenWhenYouHear wrote:

    I’m betting that Biden has already secured Stacey Abrams as his VP. I could even see Biden saying that he’s only planning on being a one term president because of his age, and then having Abrams handle a lot more than your typical VP.

  7. [7] 
    ListenWhenYouHear wrote:

    But the other 70% will swing overwhelmingly for the President that made their lives better...

    Silly, Obama has already served his two terms!

  8. [8] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    Biden isn't planning on being a one-term president. Period. Period. Period.

  9. [9] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    I am amazed at all of the blatant ageism running rampant around here and elsewhere, by the way.

  10. [10] 
    Michale wrote:

    Silly, Obama has already served his two terms!

    Then, I am obviously not talking about him..

    Duh...

    I am talking about the POTUS who cleaned up Obama's mess and is 10x the POTUS that Obama was...

  11. [11] 
    Michale wrote:

    I am amazed at all of the blatant ageism running rampant around here and elsewhere, by the way.

    Are you surprised??

    Democrats are the most hateful and intolerant and hypocritical people on the planet..

    Present company excepted, of course.. :D

  12. [12] 
    Michale wrote:

    I Come to Bury Biden, Not to Praise Him

    Ocasio-Cortez emerges as a one-woman Committee to Re-Elect the President.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/i-come-to-bury-biden-not-to-praise-him-11562885072

    The best in depth explanation of Occasional Cortex to date...

    She will almost single-handedly re-elect President Trump..

  13. [13] 
    Michale wrote:

    'IGNORANCE IS BEYOND BELIEF'

    House Dem blasts 'juvenile' AOC, chief of staff, as feud among liberals hits new level

    Rep. William Lacy Clay, D-Mo., added to the mounting Democratic criticism of Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., slamming her "inappropriate" suggestion that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., is singling out the New Yorker and her "squad" of fellow freshman because of their race.

    Speaking to Fox News on Thursday night, Clay hammered Ocasio-Cortez's suggestion.

    "It was such a weak argument to say she was being picked on and that four women of color were being picked on by the speaker," he said.

    "It tells you the level of ignorance to American history on their part as to what we are as the Democratic Caucus.

    "It’s going to take a process of maturing for those freshman members. They will have to learn to be effective legislators," he said.

    "It shows their lack of sensitivity to racism. To fall back on that (trope) is a weak argument. It has no place in a civil discussion."

    The lawmaker closed his remarks by suggesting the four freshmen could hurt Democratic chances in upcoming elections.

    "It shows they have no sensibility to different members from our caucus. Some come from red districts and those are the ones who gave us the majority. We need them all," he said.

    His comments followed a feud between Pelosi and freshman congresswomen, like Ocasio-Cortez, that involved racially-charged criticism.

    Ocasio-Cortez's chief of staff, Saikat Chakrabarti, previously compared moderate Democrats to racists -- prompting Pelosi, at the request of some of her members, warn House Democrats not to attack each other on Twitter.
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/democrat-blasts-ocasio-cortez-pelosi

    Remind me again how the Democrat Party is "united"???

    Because the facts sure indicate the opposite...

    I know, I know... Ya'll are dyed in the wool Democrats and don't want to say anything bad about the Party you are loyal to..

    But isn't it time to face the facts?? To face reality??

    The Democrat Party is descending into Civil War.. And now amount of ostrich-ism is going to change that fact..

  14. [14] 
    Michale wrote:

    WOW...

    CNN is below TLC channel, INVESTIGATE DISCOVERY channel and even the HALLMARK channel!!

    Couldn't happen to a more deserving so-called "news" channel..

    The propaganda arm of the Democrat Party is withering..

    Face reality, my fellow Weigantians.. The Left is on it's death bed...

  15. [15] 
    Michale wrote:

    And to book-end the best in depth analysis of Occasional Cortex....

    Street Smarts in the White House
    https://amgreatness.com/2019/07/10/street-smarts-in-the-white-house/

    We have the best in depth analysis of President Trump...

  16. [16] 
    Michale wrote:

    President Trump knows you can’t survive on the streets and be intimidated by bullies. And he’s too proud of America to cringe before threats. He has the reality testing to realize that cringing brings attacks, not safety. He stands his ground.

    He easily faced down the alarmist warnings the Middle East would explode like a powder keg if he kept his promise to move the embassy to Jerusalem, where it clearly belongs. The embassy moved, world leaders fell in line, powder keg fizzled, and the Palestinians were forced to live in the real world. Another notch on President Trump’s belt. And the world is safer for it.

    President Obama, the unhappy Marxist prep school kid, stayed in his comfort zone of preachy rhetoric, not reality. Obama spoke about national unity, while pushing identity politics, the war on cops, racial animosity, demographics is destiny, and all his underhanded ways of dividing the country. For eight years, Obama did nothing on the economy, ISIS, China, Korea and Russian expansionism. He didn’t do a thing for the black community except sabotage their police protection and incite racial division.

    Trump is the polar opposite of Obama. Trump the builder is all about getting things done. He has delivered the best job numbers in history for the very minorities Democrats claim to champion.

  17. [17] 
    Michale wrote:

    Once again...

    The AOC-Pelosi War Was Inevitable

    For months now, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Nancy Pelosi have been gibing at each other. Now it is turning into all-out war, as it was always going to.
    https://thefederalist.com/2019/07/11/the-aoc-pelosi-war-was-inevitable/

    It's obvious to anyone of rational thought that the Democrat Party is in the midst of a civil war..

    The only question is, are ya'all gonna push the gas or the brakes??

    It's going to be fascinating.. :D

  18. [18] 
    Michale wrote:

    I know ya'all are not the -Credit-Where-Credit-Is-Due- crowd... Especially when it comes to President Trump..

    That clattering noise you’ve been hearing for years is the sound of previous U.S. presidents, from Bill Clinton to George W. Bush to Barack Obama, kicking cans down the road for someone else to pick up. Now, a heavyset older man with orange hair has set about collecting them — not to recycle for another president, but to ensure no future U.S. leader will trip over them.

    Critics describe President Donald Trump’s foreign policy as a muddled, unpredictable collection of impulses, with the one organizing principle being the coddling of like-minded, ruthless dictators. But there is, in fact, a defining diplomatic strategy: He is cleaning up the messes left by his predecessors.

    Trump, regularly derided as the most irresponsible of presidents, is actually taking ownership of the most terrifying problems the country faces and trying to solve them in a direct way that his recent predecessors avoided.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/trump-s-policies-iran-north-korea-russia-are-cleaning-messes-ncna1028626

    But President Trump deserves some props for his cleaning up the messes of Clinton and Bush and Obama...

    Hell, the moving of the US Embassy to Jerusalem alone deserves credit....

    It was law and past presidents kept ignoring the law predicting all sorts of dire consequences..

    President Trump did it.. followed the law... And those dire consequences??

    Non-existent...

    This is why President Trump will win re-election.. Because he has the balls to do the right thing, even if it's not the popular thing or the easy thing...

  19. [19] 
    Michale wrote:

    Budowsky: Harris attacked Biden, helped Trump
    https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/452532-budowsky-harris-attacked-biden-helped-trump

    Here's the thing..

    If you had a completely objective person who knows nothing about our politics or history or anything.. A person whose SOLE information source about the Democrat Party is the Dem Candidates for POTUS...

    That person would believe that the Democrat Party is the party of open borders and socialism and forced school busing and free full health care for illegals and eliminating all private health care for all Americans...

    Now, I ask ya'all.. Honestly..

    Is THAT a Democrat Party that can win elections in America 2020???

    I honestly don't see how...

  20. [20] 
    Michale wrote:

    Almost done.. :D

  21. [21] 
    Michale wrote:

    Everyone’s new soccer hero Megan Rapinoe is actually kind of awful

    The soccer star and U.S. women’s national team captain has become a celebrity after guiding her team to yet another Women’s World Cup win on Sunday. Amid endless fanfare, she has received a glowing feature in the Washington Post, modeled for Sports Illustrated, and become a viral sensation. One article in the Week even endorsed her for president.

    There’s just one problem: She’s actually kind of an awful person. Rapinoe has soccer skills for sure, but her entitled, flippant, and unpatriotic attitude is the epitome of first-world privilege.

    Let’s start with the facts: She’s a celebrity, a lesbian icon, and a millionaire. But according to Rapinoe, she’s an oppressed victim of sexism, apparently. She has been at the forefront of the fake outrage and demands for "equal pay" compared to the men’s soccer team. She has even encouraged the public shaming of FIFA President Gianni Infantino and filed a lawsuit against U.S. Soccer.

    Rapinoe is too drunk on political correctness and her own celebrity to acknowledge the inconvenient reality that viewership for the men’s World Cup, win or lose, vastly outweighs that of the women’s tournament. For reference, it’s estimated that 1 billion people will have watched the 2019 Women’s World Cup, but the 2018 men's World Cup reached 3.6 billion.

    Also, we're always expected to leave this out, but the gulf in physical competition between men's and women's soccer is truly immense. Just two years ago, the world's uncontested best women's national team, our own, lost very badly to a team of boys under age 15, from the academy of a middling professional team in a mediocre (although rapidly improving) men's professional soccer league. The gap in talent is going to be reflected in both viewership and in pay structures, but Rapinoe can only gain in celebrity victimhood by pretending these disparities aren't important. Why not stir up the maximum possible baseless outrage?

    After her World Cup victory, Rapinoe and a teammate dropped the American flag on the ground to pose for a photo opp.
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/everyones-new-soccer-hero-megan-rapinoe-is-actually-kind-of-awful?utm_source=In%20Our%20Opinion_07/09/2019&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=WEX_In%20Our%20Opinion&rid=91659

    Just what this country needs...

    Another America hating petulant elitist immature jackass..

    We have an entire political Party FULL of those..

    Why do we need more???

  22. [22] 
    Michale wrote:

    Barack who???

    Oh wait..

    Wasn't he the guy who had a legacy that is slowly disappearing from the pages of history???

    :D

    It's funny.. Obama thought he was so cutesy with his mic-drop mock of Candidate Trump.. Oh how they did laugh..

    And yet, in the here and now, *PRESIDENT* Trump proves the age old adage..

    "He who laughs LAST... Laughs best..."

    I have to wonder...

    Is Obama laughing now??? :D

  23. [23] 
    Michale wrote:

    Ex-Clinton aide says she would 'ankle dive' to stop Hillary from running again

    Palmieri indicated that Clinton's presidential bid showed politics was "all broken," claiming that it was difficult for her to run as a woman. “I wanted her to be the first woman president, but she’s going to be the woman who showed us that it’s all broken,” Palmieri said.
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/clinton-aide-tackle-hillary-to-stop-running

    This same old bullshit keeps rearing it's ugly head...

    Hillary didn't lose because she's a woman..

    She lost because she was a shitty candidate and is a shitty person...

  24. [24] 
    Michale wrote:
  25. [25] 
    Michale wrote:

    AOC’s top aide admits Green New Deal about the economy, not climate

    Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s chief of staff recently admitted that the Green New Deal was not conceived as an effort to deal with climate change, but instead a “how-do-you-change-the-entire economy thing” -- a remark likely to fuel Republican claims that the deal is nothing more than a thinly veiled socialist takeover of the U.S. economy.

    “The interesting thing about the Green New Deal is it wasn’t originally a climate thing at all,” Saikat Chakrabarti said in May, according to The Washington Post.

    SANDERS COMPARES CLIMATE CHANGE PUSH TO PEARL HARBOR RESPONSE AS HE UNVEILS EMERGENCY RESOLUTION

    He reportedly made the remarks to Sam Ricketts, climate director for 2020 hopeful and Washington Gov. Jay Inslee, who the Post says greeted the statement with “an attentive poker face.”

    “Do you guys think of it as a climate thing?” Chakrabarti then asked. “Because we really think of it as a how-do-you-change-the-entire-economy thing.”
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/aocs-top-aide-admits-green-new-deal-about-the-economy-not-the-climate

    And, in other shocking news, water is wet, the sky is blue and women have secrets...

    :eyeroll:

  26. [26] 
    Michale wrote:

    Marc Thiessen: Joe Biden's electability is a myth
    https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/marc-thiessen-joe-bidens-electability

    Thiessen raises some good points..

    A Biden v Trump race would simply be another Establishment v Non-Establishment Outsider race..

    And we know how well THAT race went for the Dems the last time..

  27. [27] 
    Michale wrote:
  28. [28] 
    Michale wrote:

    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/cartoons/images/2019/07/12/david_hitch_david_hitch_for_07122019_5_.gif

    Now THAT is the Rapione we all know..

    The quintessential Democrat.....

  29. [29] 
    Michale wrote:

    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/cartoons/images/2019/07/08/steve_kelley_steve_kelley_for_jul_08_2019_5_.jpg

    Very good point..

    If we allow people to break our immigration laws because they are economically desperate....

    Apparently, decriminalizing armed robbery for the same reasons is also logical..

    Democrat "logic"...

  30. [30] 
    Michale wrote:

    Remember how it was reported here that Russians initiated the Seth Rich conspiracy theory...

    Of course, the FACTS are quite different...


    Isikoff Spins His Own Russian Conspiracy Theories -- Again

    The latest breaking news from the Deep State is (wait for it!) ... THE RUSSIANS DID IT!

    No, I’m not talking about the half-baked idea of the Russians getting Donald Trump elected president by buying a few Facebook ads. That's yesterday's news. I'm talking about how the rascally Russians planted the story that Seth Rich was supposedly murdered to retaliate for him leaking DNC documents to WikiLeaks. That's what is alleged in the latest agitprop hit piece by Michael Isikoff, chief investigative correspondent for Yahoo News.

    You remember Isikoff, right? He's the first reporter who wrote about the Steele dossier in an effort to undermine the Trump candidacy. In a Sept. 23, 2016, piece for Yahoo, Isikoff broke the Deep State-sponsored story that Trump campaign adviser Carter Page had "opened up private communications with senior Russian officials" (he hadn't) and cited unnamed "intelligence reports" as the source of his information. It turns out he was writing covertly about the now-discredited Steele dossier, and then the intelligence community infamously used Isikoff's report to "independently" verify the salacious gossip in the dossier in a variation on the carnival barker's shell game.

    It should be noted that Isikoff acknowledged in March of this year that the Mueller Report had the effect of disproving the validity of the dossier, which he had relied on for his own reporting:

    “I think one of the reasons people were so surprised by the Mueller finding is that it undercuts almost everything that was in the dossier, which postulated a well-developed conspiracy between the Russians and the Trump campaign,” he told MSNBC’s Chris Hayes.
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2019/07/12/isikoff_spins_his_own_russian_conspiracy_theories_--_again_140764.html

    Once you get past the hype and the hyperbole and the outright bullshit...

    You get the facts...

    This was simply another lie by the Trump/America haters who cannot handle the fact that they lost...

  31. [31] 
    Michale wrote:

    Robert Mueller public hearing may be delayed one week
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/12/politics/mueller-hearing-may-be-delayed/index.html

    My gods! Democrats could screw up an iron football!!!

  32. [32] 
    ListenWhenYouHear wrote:
  33. [33] 
    Elizabeth Miller wrote:

    Seriously?

    So, what's it about?

  34. [34] 
    Michale wrote:

    Seriously?

    So, what's it about?

    I dunno.. It's behind a paywall...

    Considering the source, it's probably another -Biden is a racist Biden is too old- attack..

    That seems to be par for the course around here these days... :eyeroll:

  35. [35] 
    Michale wrote:

    Protesters Remove U.S. Flag, Replace It With Mexican Flag Outside ICE Facility In Aurora

    AURORA, Colo. (CBS4)– Hundreds of protesters gathered in Aurora on Friday evening to march to the ICE detention facility where illegal and undocumented immigrants are being housed. They also removed the U.S. flag, replaced it with a Mexican flag, and spray painted graffiti on a Blue Lives Matter flag before it was seen flying upside down on the flag pole.
    https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/07/12/protests-ice-aurora-immigration-raids/

    Scumbags... America hating scumbags...

  36. [36] 
    Kick wrote:

    Elizabeth Miller
    5

    As for who Biden will choose as his vice president, he will choose someone who is on the same wavelength with respect to political philosophy who he trusts and trusts him implicitly.

    Balthasar is on the right track, EM. If Biden has two brain cells to rub together, he will choose a VP nominee that is a woman. As I've stated to you many times already, if Biden is the nominee, he should pick from these candidates... in this order:

    1. Stacey Abrams
    2. Kamala Harris
    3. Elizabeth Warren

    Do you think Senator Harris fits that bill?

    Hell yes, she is... but she's from California and it's a lock already in the Democrats' column. Stacey Abrams might be able to flip Georgia. :)

  37. [37] 
    Kick wrote:

    Russ
    6

    I’m betting that Biden has already secured Stacey Abrams as his VP. I could even see Biden saying that he’s only planning on being a one term president because of his age, and then having Abrams handle a lot more than your typical VP.

    I totally agree with Russ! Been saying this for years now... except I've been saying "Biden/Booker 2020 for the win." Since time is always passing and things are always changing, it looks to me now as if women are going to have to do a lot of the heavy lifting in order to save our Republic... so: Biden/Abrams 2020 for the win! :)

Leave a Reply

[If you have questions as to how to register or log in, to be able to post comments here, or if you'd like advanced commenting and formatting tips, please visit our "Commenting Tips" page, for further details.]

You must be logged in to post a comment.
If you are a new user, please register so you can post comments here.

[The first time you post a comment (after creating your user name and logging in), it will be held for approval. Please be patient (as it may take awhile). After your first comment has been approved, you will be able to post further comments instantly and automatically.]